What is your favorite Live Recording?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Can a live recording enhance the illusion of stereo reproduction? I think so.

My nomination is Jill Scott Live in Paris. It also contains a DVD should you require visual assistance.

Your selection should convey some hall ambiance. Audience participation is good. The more the artist improvises the better.

Jill Scott is a graduate of the Philadelphia, PA. drug wars. A kind of Jazz/Hip-Hop/Rap,R&B Artist. Despite being just a baby she can convey heartbreak like Janis Joplin.:cool:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not a fan of Jill Scott, although I fully appreciate the power of her voice and the interpretation of the songs she sings.

As far as live recordings are concerned, my personal favourite is still "Jazz At The Pawnshop". I have yet to hear a record that truly lets me "be" in the audience...again, personal choice.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I never liked the music on Jazz at the Pawnshop. I agree that it is one the best "live recordings." I'm curious. Was this an intended audiophile record or did it just appear on somebodys' radar screen?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Some of my favorite:

The Weavers at Carnegie Hall (15 ips tape and original black Vanguard label)
Bill Evans Trio Live at Shellys Manne Hole (45 rpm AP)
Bill Evans Live at Montreaux (original Verve(
Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby (TTP 15 ips and AP 45 rpm reissue)
Miles Davis at the Blackhawk (15 ips tape version-haven't heard the LP)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I never liked the music on Jazz at the Pawnshop. I agree that it is one the best "live recordings." I'm curious. Was this an intended audiophile record or did it just appear on somebodys' radar screen?

I don't quite understand your inference to my choice. I happened to listen to it at a friend's house several decades ago and fell in love with Arne Domnerius' style, as such I purchased it. I'm a little perturbed by your suggestion however and your questioning as to how I came about this. I also own the 2nd and 3rd LP of that 2 night set.

John

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
a few of my favorite live recordings;

Ben Webster, Live at the Renaissance, 45rpm Lp

Witherspoon at the Renaissance, 15ips master dub.

Count Basie and Band, Live in LA 1961, 15ips live to 2-track.

Heart, Alive In Seattle, SACD

Nirvana Unplugged, ORG Lp.

there are so many.....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Three Dog Night - Live At The Forum
Neil Young - Live At Massey Hall

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I don't quite understand your inference to my choice. I happened to listen to it at a friend's house several decades ago and fell in love with Arne Domnerius' style, as such I purchased it. I'm a little perturbed by your suggestion however and your questioning as to how I came about this. I also own the 2nd and 3rd LP of that 2 night set.

John

i think JATPS is an enigma. no doubt a special recording in terms of sonics....and it's high energy and fun. but if i'm listening to 'Golden Age--50's and 60's---jazz' and then i listen to JATPS it sounds like a bunch of Swedish guys trying to play jazz. similar to the 'Three Blind Mice' Japanese recordings; it falls short in comparison to better jazz players. there are many jazz recordings made in the USA that don't measure up to 'Golden Age' recortdings or players either......but they don't 'aspire' to be 'legendary' like JATPS. so it's audiophile popularity brings with it a 'higher bar' which ultimately exposes it's shortcomings.

all that said; i have multiple copies of JATPS including 3 digital, 3 Lp pressings and 'something else'.

it has it's outstanding aspects and i do like it (most of the time).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
i think JATPS is an enigma. no doubt a special recording in terms of sonics....and it's high energy and fun. but if i'm listening to 'Golden Age--50's and 60's---jazz' and then i listen to JATPS it sounds like a bunch of Swedish guys trying to play jazz. similar to the 'Three Blind Mice' Japanese recordings; it falls short in comparison to better jazz players. there are many jazz recordings made in the USA that don't measure up to 'Golden Age' recortdings or players either......but they don't 'aspire' to be 'legendary' like JATPS. so it's audiophile popularity brings with it a 'higher bar' which ultimately exposes it's shortcomings.

all that said; i have multiple copies of JATPS including 3 digital, 3 Lp pressings and 'something else'.

it has it's outstanding aspects and i do like it (most of the time).

"Swedish Guys trying to play jazz" - how insensitive is that. Jazz isn't the domain of U.S. performers.

"it falls short in comparison to better jazz players" - so tell me...who is the grandddaddy of jazz that everything should be measured against? Just because it isn't the best doesn't make it less enjoyable.

"but they don't 'aspire' to be 'legendary' like JATPS". - JATPS never aspired to be anything other than a recording. The "legendary" part only came about as the quality of the session became known and people started to disect it's reportoire and style. Maybe a cause of envy, because few can match the quality of this session and the 2 -day performance provided.

The bottom line is that I really like these recording and they give me immense pleasure. I like this style of jazz, but then I'm not a jazz expert...I'm much more blues oriented in taste.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Here's my list,

Keith Jarrett, Standards live*
Stan Getz, Serenity*
Nanci Griffith, One Fair Summer Evening*
Judy Garland, Live at Carnegie Hall
Barbara Streisand, One Voice
CSNY, Four Way Street
Anna Netrebko et al,The Opera Gala Live from Baden-Baden*
Fred Hersch, Let yourself go*
Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley*
Diana Krall,Live In Paris
Music from Hollywood*
Tom Canta Vinicius: Ao Vivo [Live]*
Otto Klemperer, Wiener Philharmoniker: Live Broadcast Performances
Live in Berlin - Daniel Barenboim / West-Eastern Divan Orchestra: Beethoven Symphony No. 9 "Choral" [Live]*
Carreras · Domingo · Pavarotti: The Three Tenors in Concert / Mehta
Martha Argerich: Live from the Concertgebouw 1978 & 1979*
Don Ellis Live at Monterey*
The Mighty Wurlitzer Paramount Theater James Gabbert KPEN
Virgil Fox Live at Filmore East
Chuck Mangione, Land of Make Believe*
Sadao Watanabe, Live at Budokan
Sadao Watanabe, A Night With Strings*
Sinatra 57
Luther Vandross Always and Forever Live From Royal Albert Hall
Ramsey Lewis Trio, In Person
Duke Ellington, Live at Tanglewood
Les McCann Live at Montreaux

* I play these recordings the most,although the others are exceptional also.

I'm sure there are others and I have probably left some out. I am a big fan of live music.

Roger

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"I don't quite understand your inference to my choice. I happened to listen to it at a friend's house several decades ago and fell in love with Arne Domnerius' style, as such I purchased it. I'm a little perturbed by your suggestion however and your questioning as to how I came about this. I also own the 2nd and 3rd LP of that 2 night set. " John 72953

John
No need to break our crayons. Recordings of the quality of JATPS do some times just happen. More often than not they come about as a result of an intentional effort to create an audiophile recording. At one time every where I went, audio shows,dealers, this album was playing. I never purchased it because while I acknowledge that it was an "A" grade recording, (I agree that it is one the best "live recordings." ), the music did not float my boat. Just as Jill Scott does not float yours. In fact I remember my early days of audio that I had a whole collection of records that made my system sound great but the music did not inspire me. I would provide an example but that might make someone else angry. I think it's enough that I acknowledged it is an excellent recording. Given your love for it ands its' omnipresence I thought you or someone else might be aware of its' genesis.

anyone mention Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall

One of my favorites. You can actually hear someone walk out on stage as if to hand something to one of the musicians.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Swedish Guys trying to play jazz" - how insensitive is that. Jazz isn't the domain of U.S. performers.

Now, I have to disagree with that. It is Americas' classical music. It was invented and refined here. Jazz is to America what a jeweled watch movement is to the Swiss.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
"I don't quite understand your inference to my choice. I happened to listen to it at a friend's house several decades ago and fell in love with Arne Domnerius' style, as such I purchased it. I'm a little perturbed by your suggestion however and your questioning as to how I came about this. I also own the 2nd and 3rd LP of that 2 night set. " John 72953

John
No need to break our crayons. Recordings of the quality of JATPS do some times just happen. More often than not they come about as a result of an intentional effort to create an audiophile recording. At one time every where I went, audio shows,dealers, this album was playing. I never purchased it because while I acknowledge that it was an "A" grade recording, (I agree that it is one the best "live recordings." ), the music did not float my boat. Just as Jill Scott does not float yours. In fact I remember my early days of audio that I had a whole collection of records that made my system sound great but the music did not inspire me. I would provide an example but that might make someone else angry. I think it's enough that I acknowledged it is an excellent recording. Given your love for it ands its' omnipresence I thought you or someone else might be aware of its' genesis.

anyone mention Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall

One of my favorites. You can actually hear someone walk out on stage as if to hand something to one of the musicians.

Gregg,

Your comments have been noted and thank you.

Music...wonderful music...how differently the sounds they make enter our ears and linger, or go out through the other. The variety is endless and it's worth exploring.

John

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

it pretty much is. read a book on the history of jazz. Swedes in the 70's were babes of jazz.

"it falls short in comparison to better jazz players" - so tell me...who is the grandddaddy of jazz that everything should be measured against? Just because it isn't the best doesn't make it less enjoyable.

re-read my post. i like JATPS 'most of the time' except just after i listen to Miles Davis, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Duke Ellington, Art Tatum, etc. etc. again......i like Jazz At the Pawnshop! the point of my post was that it's status as an Iconic recording causes comparisons to 50's and 60's Jazz......and it does not compete in that arena.

"but they don't 'aspire' to be 'legendary' like JATPS". - JATPS never aspired to be anything other than a recording. The "legendary" part only came about as the quality of the session became known and people started to disect it's reportoire and style. Maybe a cause of envy, because few can match the quality of this session and the 2 -day performance provided.

The bottom line is that I really like these recording and they give me immense pleasure. I like this style of jazz, but then I'm not a jazz expert...I'm much more blues oriented in taste.

fair enough. i never questioned that it was enjoyable.......i commented on why it takes flack as a special jazz recording.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
it pretty much is. read a book on the history of jazz. Swedes in the 70's were babes of jazz.

Perhaps, but does that make them less talented? Do border lines impact our aural acuity or passion for any genre of art? I truly hope you're not implying that only natively-born Americans can do justice to the art that is Jazz.

John

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Given what Americans have done with European classical music. I think the Swedes can produce some great jazz. It appears Americans have been at classical music a much longer time.

Ok, gentleman. I am going to sound the bell. The fight is over. Go to your neutral corners and check your notes for more great live LPs CDs or R2R tapes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Given what Americans have done with European classical music. I think the Swedes can produce some great jazz. It appears Americans have been at classical music a much longer time.

Ok, gentleman. I am going to sound the bell. The fight is over. Go to your neutral corners and check your notes for more great live LPs CDs or R2R tapes.

Listening to Cheap Trick "Live at Bhudokan" ....certainly not jazz, but a whole mess of fun!:)

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My take on Jazz at the Pawnshop is that I like it because it is "fun" music. The high-end is much better than the bottom end. I made a 15 ips 2 track recording from my LPs that contains side one from Sonny Rollins Way Out West which is followed by Jazz at the Pawnshop. After you finish listening to Way Out West and JATP comes on, you are bass starved. The bottom end is rolled off (at least on my copy) of JATP. Way Out West pretty much shames most recordings though.

Did I read somewhere that JATP was recorded on a Revox A-77 tape deck and played back through a Dynaco ST-70 amp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing