Latest krell saga

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Tim-You make some good points. And it’s true that the C2a and the PL-400 Series 2 amps were and are a revelation. They are the reason I sold my Counterpoint SA-5.1 and my Jadis Defy 7 MKII. They simply sounded better in my system. It was a very humbling experience. So my thought process was that if I could pull that off with some cheap SS gear from yesteryear, what could I pull off with over $10K worth of SS gear (price when new)?

The ironic thing is that the SS gear from yesteryear works great and my noise floor has never been lower. The hum from my KSA-250 is no longer setting the noise floor of my system. I think if one was to go back and read all of the original posts I made about the Krell gear, the hum was an issue from the beginning. I mitigated it somewhat with the PC from Krell, and the level of hum changes from time to time which I find odd and irritating.

I also don’t think I ever said the Krell gear blew away my C2a or PL amps or anything close to that. The PL amps sound “lighter” than the KSA-250, but not in the white and bright sense. The KSA-250 is balanced on the dark side which tends to emphasize its bottom end and mid bass capabilities. When you shell out a bunch of money, send gear off to its maker to be repaired and recapped, you want it to be better than what you have. That was the whole point. The reality just doesn’t always play along with your expectations if you are honest with yourself. The flip side of that is when you can’t believe how something sounds so damn good that you bought for next to nothing and you think you must be deluding yourself.

Had the same issue with an KSA 200 , sent it Back to Krell twice , on the 3 RS failure , I pulled it myself and paid a local tech to go thru it , all the caps were replaced(Krell did not all of them after being paid) and I mean all, after replacing the damaged transistors the amp was set back up and rebiased , it is no longer at 200 watt / ch Class-a there is no more excessive heat , the sound is very balanced and fast , unbelievable the change ...

I would suggest you find a local tech capable of dealing with your Krell, also Agostino had mentioned to me when last we spoke that he would be willing to service and update past Krell stuff , give him a call at his gig to see if is still willing to do so , he may extend that courtesy to you ....

Regards,

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Krell has made the arrangements to have a freight forwarder come to my house and pick up the amp on Friday, 4/27/12. I'm getting ready to box it up right now and haul it out of my listening room and into the garage. One of my neighbors is on the way with his dolly.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Krell has made the arrangements to have a freight forwarder come to my house and pick up the amp on Friday, 4/27/12. I'm getting ready to box it up right now and haul it out of my listening room and into the garage. One of my neighbors is on the way with his dolly.

Krell should be commended for this level of service... I hope this solve this hum problem ... and you can enjoy this wonderful system inthe meantime put the Phase Linear to work and just enjoy music ... It's been trying ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Good start! Good luck.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My neighbor just left. The KSA-250 is packed in the original box with the original clamshells and placed inside the custom made wooden shipping crate I had made that the original KSA-250 box slides into like a glove. We moved up out of my room and into my garage waiting for its Friday pickup. If anyone is interested in buying it, now is the time to let me know. I can have it shipped straight from Krell to your house. It can be yours for $2400 plus shipping from Krell to your house. After my original purchase cost, the $1299.00 I paid for the repair and recap job, and the $700 or so I paid for roundtrip shipping, I'm into this for around $4K. $2400 is a steal for someone who is in the market for this amp.

Mark

why don't you post this in our Trading Post

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I deleted my last post and moved it to the trading post.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
UPS showed up today and my KSA-250 is on the way back to Krell. I had to call both UPS and Fed Ex and tell them not screw me around today as I was home and waiting for them. Most of my Fed Ex deliveries come out of Terre Haute and they are famous for not showing up to your house even though the Fed Ex tracking info tells you the gear is loaded on the truck for delivery today. Fed Ex waits until the end of the day, and then they game the Fed Ex system by changing the delivery status to "attempted delivery but no one was home" which of course is BS. UPS gave me the run around last Friday because they should have been here to pick the amp up, but they didn't feel like coming so they lied and said their printer wasn't turned on and they didn't get the delivery notice from headquarters. Really? I don't think so.

What was unbelievable was that Fed Ex and UPS arrived at my door today at the exact same time. UPS carted off my KSA-250 and Fed Ex dropped of my ARC VS115.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Glad something went well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
good luck and please keep us posted!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing