Conrad Johnson Premier 350 ... an Amazing amplifier ...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Great amp, indeed. One fallacy is that people assume that one of these is enough for tough loads. I did not know what my Soundlabs really sounded like until I biamped with 2 of them. That's why when people mention Dartzeel or a low powered Pass in the same sentence as an inefficient speaker, I find it comical (and sad).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I mentioned above in one of my earlier posts about me hearing a slightly forward treble on the CJ 350. Well, I have now come to the conclusion that my silver speaker jumpers is responsible for the perceived brightness, NOT the amp as I first thought. I replaced the silver ones with some Belden 5000 jumpers I had on hand. All I can say is that open, wide and detailed soundstage I was hearing disappeared with the Belden jumpers along with the brighter treble. The Belden jumper sound was smoother but the life was almost sucked out of the speakers. So more experimentation is in order and I need to find cables and jumpers that suit my preferences. So everything does matter.

Hi Joe...i have had very, very good results with Transparent Reference...i own the older pre MM generation and have compared with the most recent Opus MM2. Generally speaking, really like Transparent Ref and above, and i think CJ have had good results with it as well...happy to speak offline

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great amp, indeed. One fallacy is that people assume that one of these is enough for tough loads. I did not know what my Soundlabs really sounded like until I biamped with 2 of them. That's why when people mention Dartzeel or a low powered Pass in the same sentence as an inefficient speaker, I find it comical (and sad).

Caesar,

Soundlabs have one of toughest impedance curves I have ever seen - they have a passive crossover driving two step-up transformers that are summed by "brute force" in a mixer before being applied to a 1 nF capacitor (the panel). The impedance values and phase are worst than any conventional speaker, we can not extend our conclusions to other types of speakers.

For a short time I hosted two cj 350's and used them in a dual mono configuration - one of the channels had just a shorting input plug. And yes, it sounded better than a single stereo unit.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe...i have had very, very good results with Transparent Reference...i own the older pre MM generation and have compared with the most recent Opus MM2. Generally speaking, really like Transparent Ref and above, and i think CJ have had good results with it as well...happy to speak offline

Hi Lloyd,

I pretty much like my Transparent Super cables but wonder what's better. It never occurred to me until recently that my jumpers were affecting the sound. That's how transparent my speakers sound (no pun intended). Small changes are noticeable. Lloyd, I sincerely appreciate the advice and will send my info to you. Thank you very, very much!

Joe

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

I pretty much like my Transparent Super cables but wonder what's better. It never occurred to me until recently that my jumpers were affecting the sound. That's how transparent my speakers sound (no pun intended). Small changes are noticeable. Lloyd, I sincerely appreciate the advice and will send my info to you. Thank you very, very much!

Joe

Great! Speak soon.

bgiliberti

Mar 28, 2012
I gather that ET-250s isn't in the same league as the Premier 350. Too bad they don't make the 350 anymore. Or do an all solid state version of the ET-250.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I gather that ET-250s isn't in the same league as the Premier 350. Too bad they don't make the 350 anymore. Or do an all solid state version of the ET-250.

Welcome bgiliberti,

There seems to be some pent up demand for a "re-issue" or new design CJ Pr. 350. I think they would sell many of them. I think even mono blocks (maybe with less power if necessary) would be nice as well.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar,

Soundlabs have one of toughest impedance curves I have ever seen - they have a passive crossover driving two step-up transformers that are summed by "brute force" in a mixer before being applied to a 1 nF capacitor (the panel). The impedance values and phase are worst than any conventional speaker, we can not extend our conclusions to other types of speakers.

For a short time I hosted two cj 350's and used them in a dual mono configuration - one of the channels had just a shorting input plug. And yes, it sounded better than a single stereo unit.

Microstrip, I agree with you. My only point is that it's erroneous to go by power ratings alone. Looking at the Premier 350, most people would assume that since it's a muscle amp, 700 wpc into 4 ohms is enough. But when you slap a second one on, it gets that much better.

Most people don't understand how much power they need to make their system sing - it is experiential. And most people do not try enough combinations.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I wonder how the big McCormack monos (made by CJ) sound compared to the 350?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i have heard excellent things about mccormacks...i spoke with a dealer that had 750 monos for sale (and did not have any more CJ 350SAs)...and after discussing my focus on purity of tonality, etc...he said they were different and preferred the 350SAs. I would suggest if you wish to go for them that you speak with CJ about any upgrades, new Teflon capacitors that you might be able to replace in the McCormacks. I asked CJ once, and recall they said it was not offered...but that was sometime ago. in general, i understand CJ are excellent about upgrading, working with loyal customers. If you cannot do McCormacks...i am sure you could get Premier 8s and have them completely overhauled for even less money. i know someone who has done it very successfully and still uses them after several years...

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks Joe. What about the CJ LP275M?

bgiliberti

Mar 28, 2012
I wonder how the big McCormack monos (made by CJ) sound compared to the 350?
I auditioned the McCormack DNA 250 on my Harbeth 30/CJ Classic SE system recently. The DNA 250 is similar in design to the 750, using the same architecture. The results were mixed. I loved the power and the quickness of the amp. It really controlled the bass of the Harbeths. The weakness was the mid-range resolution, which sounded a bit too compressed. I was also a bit surprised at how laid back it was on the highs. My CJ MF-80 was actually brighter, and it is an old style CJ amp. I wish I could have heard the DNA-250 with the Teflon cap mods, which costs $700. That might really be all it needs to come close to Premier 350 quality. I imagine that if CJ ever put it out under its own brand, they would do the Teflon mod and maybe a few other tweeks. It has the potential to be a great amp, because the power is so effortless. Overall, I would say that the sound is more like one of the big SS McIntosh amps than a modern CJ. Quite a value, too. If you listen primarily to instrumental music and jazz, as opposed to Opera and acoustic vocals, like I do, it would be a great amp. I am sure that the 750s are that much better.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Joe. What about the CJ LP275M?

I have heard very good things about these, the forerunners in some respects of the current CJ ART monos. I think you can also use KT120s with them, so another way to drive performance on them for much less money than the ARTs. Dealers are selling demo units at less than 50 cents on the dollar i think.

Myles no doubt will have views on these, and possibly can extrapolate what would happen if you put KT120s in them.

Ed at CJ is great at answering these questions. Good luck!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I auditioned the McCormack DNA 250 on my Harbeth 30/CJ Classic SE system recently....The weakness was the mid-range resolution, which sounded a bit too compressed... I wish I could have heard the DNA-250 with the Teflon cap mods, which costs $700...

FWIW, i have heard exactly that comment about the mids in comparison to the 350SA...i also have spoken to very well-regarded modd'er in Pennsylvania who, among other things, specializes in CJ equipment. He came highly recommended by the Pres of the Audiophile Society in Philadelphia. Father and son business...might want to check them out. i am sure they could mod the McCormacks...i can dig out the name if anyone wants it.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I had my old CJ Premier 9 DAC modded with better caps and it made a huge improvement.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had my old CJ Premier 9 DAC modded with better caps and it made a huge improvement.

Some people in a DBT would claim they couldn't hear the difference between your old caps, new caps, and grandma's teeth in a water glass next to the bed.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Some people in a DBT would claim they couldn't hear the difference between your old caps, new caps, and grandma's teeth in a water glass next to the bed.

Not my problem.:)

bgiliberti

Mar 28, 2012
FWIW, i have heard exactly that comment about the mids in comparison to the 350SA...i also have spoken to very well-regarded modd'er in Pennsylvania who, among other things, specializes in CJ equipment. He came highly recommended by the Pres of the Audiophile Society in Philadelphia. Father and son business...might want to check them out. i am sure they could mod the McCormacks...i can dig out the name if anyone wants it.
Not sure I follow. Do you mean that some people say that the mids in the 350 are compressed? Or that others have said what I said about the McCormacks?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure I follow. Do you mean that some people say that the mids in the 350 are compressed? Or that others have said what I said about the McCormacks?

Hi bgiliberti, sorry for lack of clarity. i meant to say that people who have heard McCormacks have agreed with what you said about them. This includes one dealer who had a pair of McCormack 750 monos that i was inquiring about buying, and he said 350SA was much better in exactly that area of midrange and clarity (and he did NOT have a 350SA to sell). Essentially, he lost a sale by encouraging me to look at the 350sa or beyond...and i thought that was a very good proxy, particularly as i have known this dealer for over a dozen years, and he has always seemed very forthright in all the years of business i have done with him.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing