Conrad Johnson Premier 350 ... an Amazing amplifier ...

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hurry and get those STRADS!!! ;)

Thanks, but I am a die-hard Venture Audio guy!! This is based on 30+ years of listening. :)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Seriously. Venture is the ticket. End of game.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Curiously the cj premier 350 is known for exceptional vocals and the way it handles complex textures, but needing a careful optimization of system to show its quality. Fortunately it is very "nervous" - it is capable of showing rhythm and real dynamics. You should have guessed now - although I have an all ARC tube system, my solid state sin is with conrad johnson. :)

The premier 350 has however a problem for people owning many amplifiers or changing equipment very often - every time I stop it for long it needs a full week burn-in using the Purist Audio CD enhancer before sounding good. Otherwise it sounds brittle and incapable of good microdynamics.

Microstrip, as you always say - it's system dependent. While CJ Premier 350 sounds great on Soundlabs and on many other speakers I heard, it completely sucks on the MBL 101. It just can't make the woofer and the midbass grunt. I used to think it's a shoe in for one of the great amps in the world, but now I still think it is, but with a HUGE caveat.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Microstrip, as you always say - it's system dependent. While CJ Premier 350 sounds great on Soundlabs and on many other speakers I heard, it completely sucks on the MBL 101. It just can't make the woofer and the midbass grunt. I used to think it's a shoe in for one of the great amps in the world, but now I still think it is, but with a HUGE caveat.

Because it can't drive one speaker or are there other reasons?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As far as I remember 95% of existing high end amplifiers suck in the MBL 101, even some heavy contenders - it is not a question of power or current delivery, but synergy. ;)

caesar

May 30, 2010
Because it can't drive one speaker or are there other reasons?

MBLs are really strange. There are a lot of very powerful amps that are just plain awful with them. Yet, there are a lot of amps that can drive them. In Peter Breuninger's TAS review, he reported of guys with SET amps driving them. And I have doubt they sound gorgeous doing vocals.

However, the issue MBLs have is that 99% of amps in existence can't drive them with appropriate dynamics, slam, and midbass richness. The Sheffield drum recording can be scary explosive with the right amp, even in a bad room.

I'm sure they sound alright with many amps, depending on the music, but other than the $100K+ MBL amps, and a handful of others, they do not sound as their designer intended.

PS. I have not had a chance to read all of the recent WBF posts/ threads, but my understanding is you are getting the Nola KO. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Well, both actually. Although CJ 350 is outstanding, it's not an overall champ. But then what is?

But I also agree it's a huge issue for MBL. I can only imagine how many more speakers they would sell if they better matched up with more amps, like say, Wilson.

Actually, it is also a problem for all speakers that are hard to drive, including Magico Q5, virtually any electrostatics, Maggies, etc.

But look at it this way: Your doctor tells you to cut down on bread and pasta to have a healthier life. CJ 350 is like bread and pasta, and MBL is like life.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I haven't heard the CJ 350.I know however from experience that the MBL 101 will bring to their knees several amplifiers. While I respect an audiophile opinion, i can't see how a SET can drive them. I have come to know that some audiophiles like a very editorialized reproduction often at odds with what even, they, hear in music played real life. I venture to think that driving the 101 with a SET could well be one of those affectations.

I have to re-audition the 101: From what I heard from audiophiles friends, the latest iteration are the real deal. I am not a fan and don't think the idea of an omni directional speaker is a good one in most rooms. I am however very partial to the constant directivity paradigm throughout the frequency range and the MBL are one of the very speakers to achieve that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But look at it this way: Your doctor tells you to cut down on bread and pasta to have a healthier life. CJ 350 is like bread and pasta, and MBL is like life.

I still own a cj Premier 350. I still eat bread and pasta (although seldom, as italians have much better food than pasta ...). Even so I can not understand your comment . :confused:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi

I have to re-audition the 101: From what I heard from audiophiles friends, the latest iteration are the real deal. I am not a fan and don't think the idea of an omni directional speaker is a good one in most rooms.

Franz,

Can you elaborate as to why you think an omni is not a good speaker in most rooms?

I have the 116's and absolutely love the way they "energize" my room.

GG

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
I still have one and it is great, see Martin Colloms review in Audio Critic or many other reviews. Mine was damaged in my move It will turn on and play but then turns off so I suppose it is a relay problem of some sort. While it has been at CJ I bought a Gamut 200 and it will be an interesting comparison. The Gamut should have an advantage as I have Gamut speakers. My experience has been that choice of cables and wire and set up can make more difference than the amp itself assuming that they are close in quality.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing