Conrad Johnson Premier 350 ... an Amazing amplifier ...

bgiliberti

Mar 28, 2012
Hi bgiliberti, sorry for lack of clarity. i meant to say that people who have heard McCormacks have agreed with what you said about them. This includes one dealer who had a pair of McCormack 750 monos that i was inquiring about buying, and he said 350SA was much better in exactly that area of midrange and clarity (and he did NOT have a 350SA to sell). Essentially, he lost a sale by encouraging me to look at the 350sa or beyond...and i thought that was a very good proxy, particularly as i have known this dealer for over a dozen years, and he has always seemed very forthright in all the years of business i have done with him.
Thanks Iloydelee21. Got it! I wish Conrad Johnson still made a SS amp under its own label, a true CJ. The ET-250s definitely has a tube signature to me. It's a fine amp, but it did not work that well with my Harbeths, which are laid back enough as is. I see McCormack as more of a great home theater amp, so effortlessly powerful and fast, but lacking that last bit of 'audiophile' resolution and definition. A marvelous amp in the right place. But no 350 substitute.
PS: What are speaker cable jumpers (discussed above)?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Iloydelee21. Got it! PS: What are speaker cable jumpers (discussed above)?

Hi Bgiliberti, Speaker cables jumpers are used with bi-wireable speakers. In bi-wireable speakers, you have 2 sets of terminals on the back...one set for treble/mid, the other for bass. Some people find using separate amps to power each makes a difference. In any event, what it means is you either: a) use 2 sets of speaker cables (ie, 4 cable runs)...or b) use 1 speaker cable to one of the terminals (either treble/mid or bass), and then use a "speaker cable jumper" to connect that set of terminals to the other set of terminals on the back of the speaker. Usually speaker cable jumpers are effectively short speaker cables (8"-12").

I used to have SF Guarneris and they were biwireable...i used Transp Ref jumper cables...i bought them second hand. For the price, they were notably better than the ones that came with the speakers. Hope that's clear...if not, i know my other McCormack comments were not clear...so if not clear this time, just say so! ;)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Jumpers can look like this.

Attachments

• tad back-cropped..jpg
    tad back-cropped..jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 1,582

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A picture is worth 1000 words! (Nice speakers, btw...)

bgiliberti

Mar 28, 2012
Thanks, that's very clear. In fact I realize I have jumpers on my Harbeths, which is like a gold flat piece between the top set and bottom set. Just for curiosity, if you don't bi-wire, should the banana plugs go on the tweeter set or the woofer set? Does it even matter?

Ok, just the joeinid's pix. Should I ditch the gold plate and use jumpers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, that's very clear. In fact I realize I have jumpers on my Harbeths, which is like a gold flat piece between the top set and bottom set. Just for curiosity, if you don't bi-wire, should the banana plugs go on the tweeter set or the woofer set? Does it even matter?

You can run them to either...probably should do to the same terminals for each speaker (ie, both treble, or both bass). And yes, the Guarneris also come with a metal bar. In my case, i did notice a difference between running the speaker cable to the bass or to the treble, and then using the bar. i generally preferred the bass when the speaker went to the bass, and preferred the treble when i went speaker cable to treble...that is why i decided to use Transp Ref jumper cables. People often say bi-wiring is even better...but in truth i was definitely NOT going to spend the money on an extra set of speaker cables. i have read on numerous occassions you get 80% of the quality with the speaker jumpers as with full runs of speaker cables...i have never tried myself. But my speakers now dont bi-wire anyway.

YMMV!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

I believe better jumpers equals better sound. I have since changed my jumpers to Cardas Clear and they are MUCH better is sound quality. Some people say to try both posts and see what you like. Since the woofers need more current they put the heavier gauge on them and the lighter gauge on the tweeters.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The Premier 350 will comfortably drive more speakers. For my money, I'd take the Job over the 350. In fact, I still have my Job and don't have the 350. As long as your speakers are not difficult to drive, I enjoy the Job more.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Premier 350 will comfortably drive more speakers. For my money, I'd take the Job over the 350. In fact, I still have my Job and don't have the 350. As long as your speakers are not difficult to drive, I enjoy the Job more.

interesting feedback. (Great photograph under your name, BTW!) Look forward to seeing them drive your Strads whenever you get them!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Lloyd,

Conrad Johnson tube gear is stunning! I will never be without it, ever! I like music playing all the time. Big tubes are impractical all the time and that's where the Job comes in. It's a wonderful piece.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of adding a smaller, stereo CJ amp for less tube expense and maintenance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Lloyd,

Conrad Johnson tube gear is stunning! I will never be without it, ever! I like music playing all the time. Big tubes are impractical all the time and that's where the Job comes in. It's a wonderful piece.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of adding a smaller, stereo CJ amp for less tube expense and maintenance.

Joe,

In what aspects do you prefer the Job to the cj premier 350? I still consider the premier 350 one of the best power amplifiers I have owned. I have recently connected it to the Alexia's using a cj ART3 and it was really a great system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

Great stuff, Joe! Thanks...really enjoy CJ equipment, but my primary experience is the mv60 which almost certainly does not compare. I have heard the 350SA in audition only. Would love to hear your big CJ ART monos.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Please don't get me wrong, the Premier 350 is an awesome amplifier. I find the Job a lot quieter, presentation is a little smother. The 350 seemed a little nervous to me, kind of like driving a high performance car around town. Never really giving it the chance to open up. Vocals seem clearer and more natural on the Job. The job seems to have a more 3D and holographic sound to it. The Job225 can not drive as many speakers as the 350 but when you have one that is not difficult, the Job is an awesome performer.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi Joe!! Hope all is well on the Island. I had the CJ Premier DAC9 many moons ago (designed by Jerry) and with some better caps was without doubt the best DAC I have ever heard in 44.1. Now I see CJ has upgraded their caps on all their products.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Jim

Great to see you here and hope all is well with you too. I'm great thanks. So much gear so little time.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi Jim

Great to see you here and hope all is well with you too. I'm great thanks. So much gear so little time.

Thanks, much appreciated. Cables? Jena Labs and Prana Wire, please try, you will die!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jim

Hurry and get those STRADS!!! ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Please don't get me wrong, the Premier 350 is an awesome amplifier. I find the Job a lot quieter, presentation is a little smother. The 350 seemed a little nervous to me, kind of like driving a high performance car around town. Never really giving it the chance to open up. Vocals seem clearer and more natural on the Job. The job seems to have a more 3D and holographic sound to it. The Job225 can not drive as many speakers as the 350 but when you have one that is not difficult, the Job is an awesome performer.

Curiously the cj premier 350 is known for exceptional vocals and the way it handles complex textures, but needing a careful optimization of system to show its quality. Fortunately it is very "nervous" - it is capable of showing rhythm and real dynamics. You should have guessed now - although I have an all ARC tube system, my solid state sin is with conrad johnson. :)

The premier 350 has however a problem for people owning many amplifiers or changing equipment very often - every time I stop it for long it needs a full week burn-in using the Purist Audio CD enhancer before sounding good. Otherwise it sounds brittle and incapable of good microdynamics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing