Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Conrad Johnson Premier 350 ... an Amazing amplifier ...

Quote Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
    Hi bgiliberti, sorry for lack of clarity. i meant to say that people who have heard McCormacks have agreed with what you said about them. This includes one dealer who had a pair of McCormack 750 monos that i was inquiring about buying, and he said 350SA was much better in exactly that area of midrange and clarity (and he did NOT have a 350SA to sell). Essentially, he lost a sale by encouraging me to look at the 350sa or beyond...and i thought that was a very good proxy, particularly as i have known this dealer for over a dozen years, and he has always seemed very forthright in all the years of business i have done with him.
    Thanks Iloydelee21. Got it! I wish Conrad Johnson still made a SS amp under its own label, a true CJ. The ET-250s definitely has a tube signature to me. It's a fine amp, but it did not work that well with my Harbeths, which are laid back enough as is. I see McCormack as more of a great home theater amp, so effortlessly powerful and fast, but lacking that last bit of 'audiophile' resolution and definition. A marvelous amp in the right place. But no 350 substitute.
    PS: What are speaker cable jumpers (discussed above)?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
    Thanks Iloydelee21. Got it! PS: What are speaker cable jumpers (discussed above)?
    Hi Bgiliberti, Speaker cables jumpers are used with bi-wireable speakers. In bi-wireable speakers, you have 2 sets of terminals on the back...one set for treble/mid, the other for bass. Some people find using separate amps to power each makes a difference. In any event, what it means is you either: a) use 2 sets of speaker cables (ie, 4 cable runs)...or b) use 1 speaker cable to one of the terminals (either treble/mid or bass), and then use a "speaker cable jumper" to connect that set of terminals to the other set of terminals on the back of the speaker. Usually speaker cable jumpers are effectively short speaker cables (8"-12").

I used to have SF Guarneris and they were biwireable...i used Transp Ref jumper cables...i bought them second hand. For the price, they were notably better than the ones that came with the speakers. Hope that's clear...if not, i know my other McCormack comments were not clear...so if not clear this time, just say so!

Jumpers can look like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joe

Conrad Johnson GAT & ART monos, CJ ARTsa , Line Magnetic LM-219IA, McIntosh MC225, Two McIntosh MC275-VI's as monos, Hegel H30, Pass Labs XA60.5's, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Harbeth 40.1, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap 2 PS, Carver VTA20S, Lumin A1, Manley Steelhead, Marantz SA-11S3, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Nordost TYR2 and Transparent Audio Super, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948.

Addicted to Best!
    A picture is worth 1000 words! (Nice speakers, btw...)

Thanks, that's very clear. In fact I realize I have jumpers on my Harbeths, which is like a gold flat piece between the top set and bottom set. Just for curiosity, if you don't bi-wire, should the banana plugs go on the tweeter set or the woofer set? Does it even matter?

Ok, just the joeinid's pix. Should I ditch the gold plate and use jumpers?

Quote Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
    A picture is worth 1000 words! (Nice speakers, btw...)
    Thank you
    Joe

Conrad Johnson GAT & ART monos, CJ ARTsa , Line Magnetic LM-219IA, McIntosh MC225, Two McIntosh MC275-VI's as monos, Hegel H30, Pass Labs XA60.5's, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Harbeth 40.1, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap 2 PS, Carver VTA20S, Lumin A1, Manley Steelhead, Marantz SA-11S3, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Nordost TYR2 and Transparent Audio Super, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948.

Addicted to Best!
    Thanks, that's very clear. In fact I realize I have jumpers on my Harbeths, which is like a gold flat piece between the top set and bottom set. Just for curiosity, if you don't bi-wire, should the banana plugs go on the tweeter set or the woofer set? Does it even matter?

You can run them to either...probably should do to the same terminals for each speaker (ie, both treble, or both bass). And yes, the Guarneris also come with a metal bar. In my case, i did notice a difference between running the speaker cable to the bass or to the treble, and then using the bar. i generally preferred the bass when the speaker went to the bass, and preferred the treble when i went speaker cable to treble...that is why i decided to use Transp Ref jumper cables. People often say bi-wiring is even better...but in truth i was definitely NOT going to spend the money on an extra set of speaker cables. i have read on numerous occassions you get 80% of the quality with the speaker jumpers as with full runs of speaker cables...i have never tried myself. But my speakers now dont bi-wire anyway.

YMMV!

I believe better jumpers equals better sound. I have since changed my jumpers to Cardas Clear and they are MUCH better is sound quality. Some people say to try both posts and see what you like. Since the woofers need more current they put the heavier gauge on them and the lighter gauge on the tweeters.
    Joe

Joe,

How would the Job fair next to the CJ amp.?

The Premier 350 will comfortably drive more speakers. For my money, I'd take the Job over the 350. In fact, I still have my Job and don't have the 350. As long as your speakers are not difficult to drive, I enjoy the Job more.
    Joe

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast