Dirac Live

Flak

Nov 16, 2013
No Michael, you were not wrong and your reasoning for using the same audio card was so solid that it actually is a requirement for some DRCs.
It just happens that the clock drift issue that you correctly mention has been taken into account in Dirac Live so that you can use the mic and DAC (or audio card) combination that you prefer.

:) Flavio

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Awesomesauce!

No Michael, you were not wrong and your reasoning for using the same audio card was so solid that it actually is a requirement for some DRCs.
It just happens that the clock drift issue that you correctly mention has been taken into account in Dirac Live so that you can use the mic and DAC (or audio card) combination that you prefer.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

I moved my seated position back a few inches and remeasured. This time using my DAC out and an RME HDSPE AIO line in and grace m101 mic preamp. I got a crazy impulse response. Here it is:
Screenshot (24).jpg Screenshot (25).jpg

This is what the impulse response looks like with a synchronous in and out using the TASCAM only a few inches ago:
Screenshot (20).jpg Screenshot (21).jpg

As I said, my DAC has a FIFO buffer which is also not synchronous. Could that be the reason for the poor measurement? Needless to say it sounds better without the filter. I also wanted to try using my RME in and out but for some reason the RME card was sending the mic signal back out the left line out, so I was getting feedback which makes it impossible to measure, I think.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I got my RME card working right. I remeasured in the same position. The impulse looks great. There's no doubt DIRAC can't compensate for my DAC's asynchronous FIFO buffer. It's no biggie though. The RME card, grace m101 and earthworks m23 make an awesome filter in the new seated position. I really like how DIRAC gives me freedom to move my seated position where I couldn't before.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Does anyone have Dirac working in a Windows 8 environment running J River? If it matters, I go out from a dedicated J River player to an outboard USB to spdif converter.

Thanks

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

I am having a problem now running Dirac with jriver on windows 8. Everything runs fine without the Dirac, but when I change the Jriver setup to use dirac as audio device instead of asio (i put asio as the output device in the dirac processor window), jriver spends a lot of time displaying buffering, then displays a message that the device can not play 44k (or 96k), while i have created filters for those rates. Dirac driver version is 1.0.0.0. (I think still the latest). Anybody has a solution or suggestions?
Thanks,

VPN

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Select kernel output in DAP.

Hello,

I am having a problem now running Dirac with jriver on windows 8. Everything runs fine without the Dirac, but when I change the Jriver setup to use dirac as audio device instead of asio (i put asio as the output device in the dirac processor window), jriver spends a lot of time displaying buffering, then displays a message that the device can not play 44k (or 96k), while i have created filters for those rates. Dirac driver version is 1.0.0.0. (I think still the latest). Anybody has a solution or suggestions?
Thanks,

VPN

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Dallasjustice,

Thank you for your suggestion.

In jriver, i had also tried as audio device dirac audio processor (kernel straming), it had given the same error message.

In DAP (dirac audio processor), i have the following options for output device:
ASIO
Akdesign usb asio (the playback designs mps5 usb asio)
Jriver
Kernel streaming
Spdif out 1
Spdif out 2
Headphones
Output (audio out hdmi out 2)

These kernel streaming options don't seem to be the answer since i need to use the akdesign asio.

If I misunderstood your suggestion please let me know.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I am using jriver version 19.0.67.

Vpn

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I used to have an MPD-5 via USB-x. I believe you can access it via kernel as well. I select DIRAC WASAPI in Jriver and kernel output in DAP. I believe the manual recommends kernel output in DAP. I would try as many different combos as possible. If that doesn't work, open a ticket with DIRAC. Sorry, I didn't have DIRAC when I used the PBD DAC.

Dallasjustice,

Thank you for your suggestion.

In jriver, i had also tried as audio device dirac audio processor (kernel straming), it had given the same error message.

In DAP (dirac audio processor), i have the following options for output device:
ASIO
Akdesign usb asio (the playback designs mps5 usb asio)
Jriver
Kernel streaming
Spdif out 1
Spdif out 2
Headphones
Output (audio out hdmi out 2)

These kernel streaming options don't seem to be the answer since i need to use the akdesign asio.

If I misunderstood your suggestion please let me know.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I am using jriver version 19.0.67.

Vpn

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello Dallasjustice,

Thanks. Yes, I have Dirac Wasapi in Jriver and have Dirac selected as the default playback device in windows. I does not work. It used to work a few months ago. I changed so many things that it is difficult to find the reason.

Cheers,

VPN

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
My local dealer Scotty went by at CES. He said the demo was pretty cool. He said the technology was a room mode canceling technology using multiple speakers but only outputting 2 channels. He said its technology to be used in cars. He was impressed. He's a DSP skeptic for sure. So that's a good thing. :)

If you are reading this thread I imagine you are interested in Dirac Research... if so and you are visiting the CES I hope you'll acccept our invitation:
http://www.dirac.se/en/news-events/...-technologies-the-venetian,-suite-31-230.aspx

Ciao, Flavio

Flak

Nov 16, 2013
My local dealer Scotty went by at CES. He said the demo was pretty cool. He said the technology was a room mode canceling technology using multiple speakers but only outputting 2 channels. He said its technology to be used in cars. He was impressed. He's a DSP skeptic for sure. So that's a good thing. :)

Hello Dallasjustice :)

well... while we are pleased to have a limited demo at CES of what this new technology can do, at this time we have chosen to not reveal any deep technical details.

Our scientists and researchers have found that if no cost costraints are imposed we can go beyond digital room correction with a new radical approach we call Active Room Treatment. It is in fact a lot more than the room mode cancelling that has been mentioned, and it based on ideas from the fields of active noise control, sound field synthesis and room correction where our company have conducted research for many years.

We believe that Dirac Live offers the best possible value as a state of the art digital room correction solution.
I have to admit that Active Room Treatment is currently available only to the most powerful products, due to processing requirements, etc, so it may not be an affordable approach for everyone.

We offer Active Room Treatment at this point only to Dirac Live OEM licensees, for them to be able to offer something on the absolute leading edge to their customers.

If somebody has the opportunity of visiting us at the CES that's certainly the best way to know more about it but I will anyhow make more information available for the forumers in my nest post.

Ciao, Flavio

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I listened to the demo at CES. Indeed it seems like a very nice system. As noted, it works similarly to active noise removal in that extra signals are injected into the speakers in order to correct the response of the others. At the show, this "anti-correction" signal was played by itself which was predominantly low frequencies as one would expect. The setup there was 7.1 but playing 2 channels. The others were used to correct the response of the mains. The application was said to be for automotive where Dirac's main business comes from.

The setup there used an RME multichannel pro audio controlled with the PC. So all the signal processing was in software. Hence the comment about significant resources it takes now.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Did the demo include an on/off comparison?

I listened to the demo at CES. Indeed it seems like a very nice system. As noted, it works similarly to active noise removal in that extra signals are injected into the speakers in order to correct the response of the others. At the show, this "anti-correction" signal was played by itself which was predominantly low frequencies as one would expect. The setup there was 7.1 but playing 2 channels. The others were used to correct the response of the mains. The application was said to be for automotive where Dirac's main business comes from.

The setup there used an RME multichannel pro audio controlled with the PC. So all the signal processing was in software. Hence the comment about significant resources it takes now.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes. It worked well. I thought it was a bit bright but I suspect that can easily be compensated in the target curve. Otherwise, the correction in low frequencies was significant, removing the boominess. And I was standing to the side so it was nice to see the correction in such a wide space.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing