Dirac Live

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
According to this post @ AVS, the beta version of Dirac Live is now in the hands of users. The free Limited Trial version page is also up, though there's no link for download that I can find - yet. As described, the Trial version allows users to:

•Assure compatibility with computer and sound card
•Measure the frequency response of your room
•Measure the impulse response of your room

but will not perform Dirac optimization, which requires the future, Full Version. Per the AVS post, full version is PC or Mac compatible and will cost $650 or $455 (respectively?) with a 25% discount for early adopters.

Chuck (Audioguy) had indicated that he signed up as a Beta tester, and hopefully he'll post his thoughts after some use.

For anyone using a PC/Mac-based server + Dac, this could be a realatively inexpensive way to get some pretty powerful "room" correction. Extensive discussion of Dirac Beta (in multi-ch Datasat) vs. Trinnov (in TEQ 12) may be found here.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, seems like they have a 20% early adopter discount which gets it down to the dollars you mention. The price I post was the regular one. I was hoping you can download the software but looks like it is a physical package?

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Ah, seems like they have a 20% early adopter discount which gets it down to the dollars you mention. The price I post was the regular one. I was hoping you can download the software but looks like it is a physical package?
Officially, it's a 25% discount, but the poster @ AVS just replied that he received an offer @ 30% off = €455. How or if others can get that last 5% I don't know.

The site says "The software is provided as a digital download" and it shows as a download in the cart. I have no plans to purchase (got the Trinnov), so I dunno how the electronic transaction completes.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm an early adopter/beta tester who didn't adopt or test.

Since I am a sub/satellite user, the implementation of Dirac on my server was going to be more complicated. I was told that the Dirac software did not have any built in crossover functionality. If true, I was going to have to continue to use my TacT as a (VERY EXPENSIVE) crossover device. That defeated the whole reason for me wanting to move in that direction.

I am currently looking at the Theta Casablanca /Dirac solution. My main concern is that Theta totally dropped the ball on their move to an HDMI solution for the Casablanca in terms of keeping customers informed and meeting deadlines.

They finally delivered that product and now I recently heard the Dirac/Theta date was June but talked to a dealer earlier today who now says maybe end of the year --- so here we go again!!!

This can be an incredibly frustrating hobby !!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is a real bummer on it not supporting subs. I guess they are going after pure 2-channel customers.

Fortunately, skies are brighter on my side :). I am about to order a JBL SDEC-4500 audio processor for my theater. It has 12 inputs and whopping 20 outputs. It supports 4 subs so life is really good there. With kind accommodation pricing from Harman, it is hard to complain :).

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon

Since I am a sub/satellite user, the implementation of Dirac on my server was going to be more complicated. I was told that the Dirac software did not have any built in crossover functionality. If true, I was going to have to continue to use my TacT as a (VERY EXPENSIVE) crossover device. That defeated the whole reason for me wanting to move in that direction.
Does your sound card have >2 outputs? If so, can you not find some software to run to do the crossovers? Something like this Linkwitz-Riley VST would plug into AudioMulch.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I am currently looking at the Theta Casablanca /Dirac solution. My main concern is that Theta totally dropped the ball on their move to an HDMI solution for the Casablanca in terms of keeping customers informed and meeting deadlines.

They finally delivered that product and now I recently heard the Dirac/Theta date was June but talked to a dealer earlier today who now says maybe end of the year --- so here we go again!!!

This can be an incredibly frustrating hobby !!!

Have you looked at the acourate PC based system? This will do room correction and bass management / cross-over.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
That is a real bummer on it not supporting subs. I guess they are going after pure 2-channel customers.

Fortunately, skies are brighter on my side :). I am about to order a JBL SDEC-4500 audio processor for my theater. It has 12 inputs and whopping 20 outputs. It supports 4 subs so life is really good there. With kind accommodation pricing from Harman, it is hard to complain :).

As you point out, it might work well for those of us with downstream speaker management systems. My DBX 4800 setup would let me enjoy this. But the built-in Audyssey XT32 (w/Pro kit) in my Denon AVP-A1 is so effective, I can't imagine Dirac being an improvement in my case. Has anyone compared the two systems?

I do think it is a nice option for those 2 ch systems using mostly analog gear downstream of an outboard DAC. Now they could benefit from DRC as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have not compared Dirac to Audyssey. But I have compared Audyssey Pro to others and I rarely find it effective. Its tools are rather limited even in pro configuration.

BTW, I just got my SDEC-4500 and am unboxing it this weekend! Don't have all the bits to configure it out but it is definitely "play time." :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have not compared Dirac to Audyssey. But I have compared Audyssey Pro to others and I rarely find it effective. Its tools are rather limited even in pro configuration.

BTW, I just got my SDEC-4500 and am unboxing it this weekend! Don't have all the bits to configure it out but it is definitely "play time." :)

It would be great to hear of your findings amir!...multi-channel/amp implementations are no longer a promise but a viable upgrade path in this hobby.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes Amir, we're all ears on your findings. :b

Plus we are ready to be fully converted; so give us your best shot. :b

...And perhaps we can visit "the laboratory" for a first-hand listening experience.
Then we can contribute in propagating the good news... :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Any updates from Dirac PC Beta testers or other user types? I am using a four channel Trinnov unit as well, but this is strictly because I need bass management and a set of outputs for my subs. Without the subs I would have considered the much cheaper PC based route. So I just bought the Evolution Acoustics MM3, which have all the low frequency reponse I'll ever need so my subs wil go. Now the Dirac PC based option is back in play. Not only would this allow me to take the Trinnov out of the chain, I will also eliminate the expensive USB converter (I use the Offramp 5 with all bells and whistles), because I can go directly USB out into my DAC. Overall I could take $8K worth of hardware out of the chain if I can run Dirac on a PC and get the same room correction results for 2 channel as what I am getting now with the Trinnov. Only compromise would be on multi channel - I use the Trinnov in 3.1 mode for my multi channel system. I would lose this capability.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
Any updates from Dirac PC Beta testers or other user types? I am using a four channel Trinnov unit as well, but this is strictly because I need bass management and a set of outputs for my subs. Without the subs I would have considered the much cheaper PC based route. So I just bought the Evolution Acoustics MM3, which have all the low frequency reponse I'll ever need so my subs wil go. Now the Dirac PC based option is back in play. Not only would this allow me to take the Trinnov out of the chain, I will also eliminate the expensive USB converter (I use the Offramp 5 with all bells and whistles), because I can go directly USB out into my DAC. Overall I could take $8K worth of hardware out of the chain if I can run Dirac on a PC and get the same room correction results for 2 channel as what I am getting now with the Trinnov. Only compromise would be on multi channel - I use the Trinnov in 3.1 mode for my multi channel system. I would lose this capability.

I saw on AVS that you sold the fathoms when you bought the MM3s (congrats, btw!). I use my pair of fathoms to smooth out the bass response - my ATCs have pretty decent bass response by themselves but large peaks and dips in my particular room so the subs were helpful for minimizing that. I don't think eq alone would be as effective. Lets hope that you don't regret getting rid of the fathoms!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I saw on AVS that you sold the fathoms when you bought the MM3s (congrats, btw!). I use my pair of fathoms to smooth out the bass response - my ATCs have pretty decent bass response by themselves but large peaks and dips in my particular room so the subs were helpful for minimizing that. I don't think eq alone would be as effective. Lets hope that you don't regret getting rid of the fathoms!

The MM3s have 2 15" woofers each, so I will go from 2 x 13" woofers, to 4 x 15" woofers. The MM3s themselves have lots of tuning/tweaking options, including cross-over point setting, and then I still have the Trinnov to tame the bass in my room. I'm pretty confident the JL's were redundant, not to mention the fact I had no place to put them with the monster MM3s moving into my relatively small room.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Have fun with those MM3s.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you have a measurement of how they are doing without EQ? And what is the position of the speakers? If you have them at 25% from the wall, you get nice reduction of two of the modes. The might be enough. I think that is how Mike Lavigne had them.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Do you have a measurement of how they are doing without EQ? And what is the position of the speakers? If you have them at 25% from the wall, you get nice reduction of two of the modes. The might be enough. I think that is how Mike Lavigne had them.

I don't have them yet. Going on vacation first, then shipping coast to coast. Probably end of June. I measured my room with Eidolon Visions + 2 x JL F113, and my main problem are dips in the 120-200 range.

Room is 13' wide, and I can just about move the MM3s in to 40" from sidewall which would be 25%. I suspect I'll need to EQ, but if I can lose the Trinnov that's fine too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing