Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Dirac Live

Sure Indiehouse,

please explain all details opening a support ticket here:
    http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

Flavio
    Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar

Arrow Dirac Live Philosophy versus Flyod Toole's Philosophy | Scientific subject & analysis

All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Banned
    Thanks Bob. Enjoyed watching it. Mathias is a very good speaker. Highly recommended even though I don't agree with him completely .

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Thanks Bob. Enjoyed watching it. Mathias is a very good speaker. Highly recommended even though I don't agree with him completely .
    Well, post #2 from Kris Deering (an audio writer/reviewer who I respect), from the provided link, incited me to share here, and I was exactly thinking of you.
    ...And I looked @ the best thread here @ WBF to post it in. ...This one was the best, among the rest.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Banned
    Kris does nicely summarize the areas of conflict that I alluded to . The explanation is simple though. When you sit there all day long and tweak audio as Mathias does, you get to develop preference for dead rooms/lack of front reflections. Most of us though are not similarly situated and would enjoy having side reflections than not.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    I think his views and Toole's views can be reconciled. I really believe Matthias is referring to low frequency early reflections. I think Toole's research wasnt capable of studying only low frequency early reflections. I believe he used fiberglass panels. They are Excllent at absorbing higher frequency energy but useless at anything below 120hz or so. So really their views are not out of step. I agree with Matthias that taming early low frequency reflections can be low hanging fruit for improving image quality.

The odd thing about Matthias' views on many early reflections is that DSP simply can't do very much to improve their effect on the listener.
    Kris does nicely summarize the areas of conflict that I alluded to . The explanation is simple though. When you sit there all day long and tweak audio as Mathias does, you get to develop preference for dead rooms/lack of front reflections. Most of us though are not similarly situated and would enjoy having side reflections than not.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

I also disagree about multi-point correction and his graphs seem to support my view that single point works very well over a wider listening area.

The special sauce in all DSP softwares is how the measurement is filtered prior to inversion. If that is done well, I believe single point is superior to multi-point. The reason is in the time domain. You cannot average or even incorporate 9 different impulses into a single impulse filter. The time domain won't be as coherent as a single point measurement. Again, the filter before inversion is the key.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

DIRAC is a wonderful company and I look forward to their Unison product. It's the most exciting vaporware I can remember.

The MOST irksome and frustrating aspect of DIRAC is their lack of interest in digital crossovers. It baffles me.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    DIRAC is a wonderful company and I look forward to their Unison product. It's the most exciting vaporware I can remember.

The MOST irksome and frustrating aspect of DIRAC is their lack of interest in digital crossovers. It baffles me.
    I agree. Although, I do a workaround by doing bass management xovers in JRiver. It works just fine and it is easy to do. But, it precludes use of the JRiver WDM driver for sources in my PC that are incompatible with JRiver playback, like Netflix.

The thread is expanding...slowly but surely...with Markus's comments part of it. ...It seems to me that how we interpret the words is very important.
    I am following...with an objective view...and discarding any biased visions that some members might have.

@ the end only the concrete auditory/improved results count, acoustically and intelligibly speaking...with all the details that were obscured before now in total exposition...the sounds. ...And in a realistic way, like if live with all the proper acoustics gelling together...without smearing or blurring. ...First direct sounds, then first reflections, and secondary reflections...and in all their proper time (harmoniously sound).

Markus mentioned that they are basically saying the same thing; between Mathias and Floyd. His interpretation of the video seems to differ from Kris's own. ...To be follow...

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718