Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirac Live

Dirac Live

According to this post @ AVS, the beta version of Dirac Live is now in the hands of users. The free Limited Trial version page is also up, though there's no link for download that I can find - yet. As described, the Trial version allows users to:

•Assure compatibility with computer and sound card
    •Measure the frequency response of your room
    •Measure the impulse response of your room

but will not perform Dirac optimization, which requires the future, Full Version. Per the AVS post, full version is PC or Mac compatible and will cost $650 or $455 (respectively?) with a 25% discount for early adopters.

Chuck (Audioguy) had indicated that he signed up as a Beta tester, and hopefully he'll post his thoughts after some use.

For anyone using a PC/Mac-based server + Dac, this could be a realatively inexpensive way to get some pretty powerful "room" correction. Extensive discussion of Dirac Beta (in multi-ch Datasat) vs. Trinnov (in TEQ 12) may be found here.

Banned
    Thanks. Prices I see are in Euro not US dollars. So it is about $1,000.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Thanks. Prices I see are in Euro not US dollars. So it is about $1,000.
    Amir, I'm told it's €487.50 or ~$650, including the 25% early adopter discount.

Banned
    Ah, seems like they have a 20% early adopter discount which gets it down to the dollars you mention. The price I post was the regular one. I was hoping you can download the software but looks like it is a physical package?

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Ah, seems like they have a 20% early adopter discount which gets it down to the dollars you mention. The price I post was the regular one. I was hoping you can download the software but looks like it is a physical package?
    Officially, it's a 25% discount, but the poster @ AVS just replied that he received an offer @ 30% off = €455. How or if others can get that last 5% I don't know.

The site says "The software is provided as a digital download" and it shows as a download in the cart. I have no plans to purchase (got the Trinnov), so I dunno how the electronic transaction completes.

I'm an early adopter/beta tester who didn't adopt or test.

Since I am a sub/satellite user, the implementation of Dirac on my server was going to be more complicated. I was told that the Dirac software did not have any built in crossover functionality. If true, I was going to have to continue to use my TacT as a (VERY EXPENSIVE) crossover device. That defeated the whole reason for me wanting to move in that direction.

I am currently looking at the Theta Casablanca /Dirac solution. My main concern is that Theta totally dropped the ball on their move to an HDMI solution for the Casablanca in terms of keeping customers informed and meeting deadlines.

They finally delivered that product and now I recently heard the Dirac/Theta date was June but talked to a dealer earlier today who now says maybe end of the year --- so here we go again!!!

This can be an incredibly frustrating hobby !!!
    “Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt

Banned
    That is a real bummer on it not supporting subs. I guess they are going after pure 2-channel customers.

Fortunately, skies are brighter on my side . I am about to order a JBL SDEC-4500 audio processor for my theater. It has 12 inputs and whopping 20 outputs. It supports 4 subs so life is really good there. With kind accommodation pricing from Harman, it is hard to complain .

Industry Expert Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Since I am a sub/satellite user, the implementation of Dirac on my server was going to be more complicated. I was told that the Dirac software did not have any built in crossover functionality. If true, I was going to have to continue to use my TacT as a (VERY EXPENSIVE) crossover device. That defeated the whole reason for me wanting to move in that direction.
    Does your sound card have >2 outputs? If so, can you not find some software to run to do the crossovers? Something like this Linkwitz-Riley VST would plug into AudioMulch.

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    It already is, for the last hundred years or so.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

[WBF Founding Member]

I am currently looking at the Theta Casablanca /Dirac solution. My main concern is that Theta totally dropped the ball on their move to an HDMI solution for the Casablanca in terms of keeping customers informed and meeting deadlines.

They finally delivered that product and now I recently heard the Dirac/Theta date was June but talked to a dealer earlier today who now says maybe end of the year --- so here we go again!!!

Have you looked at the acourate PC based system? This will do room correction and bass management / cross-over.

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast