Cannot play homemade wav flac files on computer

snapback77

Apr 25, 2011
I captured audio from reel to reel tapes. I can play the files if they are mp3 but not if they are wav or flac. I am using Music Player Dameon and Sonata with a Linux OS. Is this a permission problem? I would like to hear the greater resolution of the wav or flac files. Is there anyone who can shine some light on this issue?
thanks.
snapback77

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
It may be a codec issue. If you are using Ubuntu, it is a simple task to search for a codec package at the repository. That's where I would start first.

Win

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Have you acquired a .wav file from some other place to test with? Do you have a Windows machine where you can test the files there? You can also use Audacity there to save your .mp3 as .wav and then see if it plays. If it doesn't, then there is a problem with your install.

snapback77

Apr 25, 2011
You got me thinkiing

Thanks Amir,
I followed your suggestion and using Audacity converted a .mp3 to .wav and it played. So. still using Audacity, when I opened another file I was having trouble with I saw beside the L and R channel another 6 mono channels and the tempo of the music was so fast it was unlistenable!! I found another 7 or so files which displayed L and R only in Audacity. These files played perfectly. Is there and easy answer or am I going to need to rip the rest of the my 40 or so CDs all over?
I have no idea how this happened.
snapback77

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That rules out the player being the problem. Seems like the program you used to capture the tape was somehow configured to record in multi-channel? Or possibly buggy?

Your original post said the files came from tape. Did you rip your CDs to flac and they are having similar problems?

snapback77

Apr 25, 2011
I have no problems with commercial CDs I paid for. Rip and play. My only problem is with those music files I created myself from homemade reel to reel tapes. And only with .wav or .flac. Files in .mp3 plays fine in all players (movieplayer, banshee, potamus, including mpd voyage kit). The .wav and .flac files will not play easlly with mpd voyage kit which is hands down my best box for music. (I did get a .wav file to play by opening it in Audacity and exported it anew in .wav. Go figure.)Thanks for your interest.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, I got confused when you said something about having to rip your CDs again :).

What software are you using to create the .wav files? That seems to be the source of the problem.

snapback77

Apr 25, 2011
I started my "tape to CD" project in 1998 using Roxio Spin Doctor with Window 98. These original CDs were .wav. When some didn't play anymore I rushed to save the work on hard drive probably using CD Extractor because I had changed to Ubuntu Hardy about 2007. When I discovered flac I used Sound Converter to convert .wav to .flac and .mp3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing