Living Presence

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

Well, my whole life I enjoyed listening to music. For me the human voice is the real 'magic' of recorded music. The human voice and the fact, that 40 years ago, there were made the best and most fascinating recordings of all time, amaze me every time when I listen to my records. So the system is for me the transmitter to the most intelligent and creative musicians who lived at this time and who were never surpassed, no matter what kind of music, classic, jazz, pop, rock etc.
Recorded Sound of such realism and definition that the musical performances come to life right in your home.
Dead-silent Background, microdynamic slam, vivid three-dimensionality, ultradetail and harmonic sophistication is flowered in living colors. The kind of "You Are There" realism and emotionally engaging sound that delivers the sound of The Real Thing.

Good Audio Engineering is timeless

Fidelity Research FR-1Mk3F

The most advanced cartridge in the FR-1 series, the FR-1Mk3F was the first MC cartridge in the world to use pure silver wire for the coils.
As a conductor, pure silver has lower resistance than any other metal. Therefore, efficiency is greatly improved without the need to make any other alterations in cartridge design. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) used the FR-64s / B-60 / FR-1Mk3F combination in the former times for Playback.
Coreless coil to prevent hysteresis distortion, extremely durable suspension, this "F" version is shockingly superior to a lot of modern cartridges. When the Phonstage can handle the output, a superior cartridge for any Linear tracking tonearm, too. Updated Diamond & Cantilever from a Japanese Master greatly improving high-range response.

Specifications

Frequency response: 10Hz to 45 kHz
Inter channel balance: within 1dB at 1kHz
Stereo separation: better than -22dB at 20kHz
Output voltage: 0.14mV
Load impedance: 6 ?
Tracking force: 2.1g
Vertical tracking angle: 15 degrees
Stylus tip: Custom made diamond
Weight: 10g

Last edited:

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

Lyra Olympos SL

This cartridge does something remarkable: it lets the music have the "WOW Factor" instead of the artificiality of a System. The sound is so dynamic that the music literally explodes out of the speakers and with the right recordings it will literally fill a room with a coherent, whole 3-dimensional soundstage full of air, space, ambience and lifelike energy. Very difficult to amplify to get the glorious Picture.

Frequency range: 10 Hz - 50 kHz
Cantilever system: Diamond coated boron rod cantilever and natural diamond, Ogura-manufactured. LYRA original line-contact stylus (3 x 70 micrometers profile).
Channel separation: 35 dB or better at 1kHz
Internal impedance: 3?
Output voltage: 0.2 mV (5.0cm/sec., zero to peak, 45°)
Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 13.8 gr.
Compliance: Approx. 12 x 10-6 cm/dyne @ 100Hz
Recommended tracking force: 1.65 - 1.80 gr.
Recommended impedance: 100? to 47k?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

Rowland Coherence II Series II

Battery Powered Preamplifier to hear the Differences ... mainly in use with Lamm ML2.1

Last edited:

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

Lamm Industries M1.2R

Remarkable vital sounding Amps with absolutely unique clarity and micro-resolution during sound reproduction.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
After 10 years of traveling and extensive Listening to various Turntables ) Basis Debut vac., Goldmund Reference, Kuzma XL, Rockport Sirius III, Seiki 8000 II, EMT's, Continuum Caliburn and some more I forgot I decided to go for this old Japanse warhorse and modified it.

Micro Seiki RX-5000 & HS-80

Out of its silent background, this Table re-creates startling dynamic swings. The music can literally explode from dead silence in an instantaneous yet progressive way that denotes the live thing. Here, the modified 5000/HS80 let the Lyra Olympos cartridge shine, both on macro and microdynamics. The modded Seiki provides a platform to recover the subtle shadings that create intensity in the music.
This modified version offers an extremely low frequency weight with an outstanding seamlessness top-to-bottom tonal complexity.
Outperforms easily the big Continuum Caliburn and the other ones in terms of low register speed, punch, definition, color, body, provides a much better resolution in the complete frequency band with noticeably more weight, 3-dimensionality and leaves the - overrated - ringing Seiki 8000II in the dust.
In a way, it is depressing. That design is 25 years old.
And it has speed adjustments :)

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

EMM Labs CDSA SE

Impressive is the total lack of - digital - grain, the almost understated but scarily accurate attention to spatial and temporal detail, the tonal linearity and the extensive dynamic scope of the Player.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

The Voice

Custom Made Monitoring System.
Special designed Crossover, selected chassis with no interaction to the room,
The whole system is tri-amplification. Each woofer is sealed cabinet, 18 to 80 Hz with 500 Watt amplifier with active DSP. The woofer driver is a 18" unit with an BxL of 32 and maximum excursion of total 28 mm in sealed 70 litres. Mid bass and mid-highs is a 2 way system with 8" field coil paper driver with huge choke power supply and 80 000 ? filtering. 12 V supply. The tweeter is a 28 lbs unit which goes from 800 to 45 000 Hz. A ribbon / planar hybrid with 100 dB efficiency (past crossover). These two are mounted in an inverse ultraflex cabinet with a combination of 1st order electrical x-over (1 coil in low-mid - 1 capacitor in mid-high) in conjunction with approbiate mechanical filtering in low-pass (pre-chamber) and high-pass (super short tactrix).
The cabinet itself has a special adjusted build-in mechnical high-pass with -3dB at 80Hz. Thus giving a pretty smooth melting between the active 18" woofer and the 8" mid-low driver.

The whole system has measured 99.5 dB efficiency. Max. SPL 128 dB. Phase never worse than 8°. Pretty flat response whole band. The prime design goals were:
- maximum resolution
- maximum possible constant sound dispersion - a real soundstage recreation
- even if seated way outside the sweet spot
- real 3-dimensional soundstage
- with not only left - right and front - back location, but real heights differences.
Its smooth, yet very detailed and open sound is an important part in the full picture.Thanks to a crossover that does not present a terribly complex load, The Voice can be driven with anything from strong monoblocks to your favorite SET.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest

Well, my whole life I enjoyed listening to music. For me the human voice is the real 'magic' of recorded music. The human voice and the fact, that 40 years ago, there were made the best and most fascinating recordings of all time, amaze me every time when I listen to my records. So the system is for me the transmitter to the most intelligent and creative musicians who lived at this time and who were never surpassed, no matter what kind of music, classic, jazz, pop, rock etc.
Recorded Sound of such realism and definition that the musical performances come to life right in your home.
Dead-silent Background, microdynamic slam, vivid three-dimensionality, ultradetail and harmonic sophistication is flowered in living colors. The kind of "You Are There" realism
and emotionally engaging sound that delivers the sound of The Real Thing.

Good Audio Engineering is timeless

Fidelity Research FR-1Mk3F

The most advanced cartridge in the FR-1 series, the FR-1Mk3F was the first MC cartridge in the world to use pure silver wire for the coils.

As a conductor, pure silver has lower resistance than any other metal. Therefore, efficiency is greatly improved without the need to make any other alterations in cartridge design. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) used the FR-64s / B-60 / FR-1Mk3F combination in the former times for Playback.
Coreless coil to prevent hysteresis distortion, extremely durable suspension, this "F" version is shockingly superior to a lot of modern cartridges. When the Phonstage can handle the output, a superior cartridge for any Linear tracking tonearm, too. Updated Diamond & Cantilever from a Japanese Master greatly improving high-range response.

Specifications

Frequency response: 10Hz to 45 kHz
Inter channel balance: within 1dB at 1kHz
Stereo separation: better than -22dB at 20kHz
Output voltage: 0.14mV
Load impedance: 6 ?
Tracking force: 2.1g
Vertical tracking angle: 15 degrees
Stylus tip: Custom made diamond
Weight: 10g

Nice...Syntax!

This a sleeper of a stellar cartridge that is really a "game changer;" especially, when it makes the roundtrip to Japan. IMHO, if produced today, this super cartridge would be at the forefront of the, "I just have to have this machine!"

I am loving mine and was it an ear-opening experience to be able to first hear this wonderful performer up where the mains, like the air, are crystal clear...thanks! It is wonderfully musical and loved everything from the blues, rock, jazz, and full-dynamic orchestra presentations; it was just, simply delicious!

Kind regards,
ALF

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

Uni-Protractor

Cartridge alignment System

Precision in alignment is mandatory.

Like Shakespeare said:
"Look with thine Ears"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Uni-Protractor

Cartridge alignment System

Precision in alignment is mandatory.

Like Shakespeare said:
"Look with thine Ears"

Yes it's very nice. Used to see it advertised on Agon but doesn't seem to be there anymore :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey MBA and NS,

Try it, I like it...

Kind Regards.

ALF

Thanks!

I've only heard good things about it! Know Albert Porter uses it too and raves about the alignment gauge.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Syntax,

Please post pics with your drapes open. That is some view of snow capped mountains. Talk about a conducive atmosphere to enjoy the art of music!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dear Mr. Syntax,

--- You are the real deal sir, so is your view (outside)!
Me too, just like Jack, I was trying to decipher what I was seeing through your close drapes before;
and I tried, and I tried, because it seems that magic was on the real world outside those two windows.
And I was strongly attracted by that. I stared at that picture for a very long time (quite unusual).

---Jack was right, he has a keen eye. But even better, he asked you to open your drapes... :b
It is BEAUTIFUL! Your outside view, your decor, your environment, your snow, your mountains,
your turntables, your sweet home, your gear, and you!

---The Internet, just like in real life, gives you the opportunity sometimes to meet the greatest, the best!

---And I don't say that just by looking at pictures,
but more importantly by deciphering your great soul,
through your simple and good humor words.

...Living Presence, indeed.

Bests,
Bob

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing