Interesting and Innovative Approach to Travel at Supersonic Speeds!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I love articles like this! Thank you. I believe that the only way to get this up and running is to have wings that change based upon the speed.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Really cool. Having flown on 10+ hour flights at least a 100 times, this kind of plane have saved me half of my life :).

United used to pass around surveys on their transatlantic flights on desirability of such planes. My boss and I would always game the system by voting for outrageous ticket prices! We figured they wouldn't build it anyway. Seems like too many people were truthful. :D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I Hate those 10+ hours flights.. I have always rooted for Supersonic travel .. I was one of those sad to see the SST project killed by the Nixon (?) administration, I was a big plane fan then .. Still am at heart.. great article.
The problem with the Aeronautical Industry is the pace of innovation ... we are sill flying planes that were developed in the 1960s (Boeing 747 for example)..At that rate most of us will be 100 years old before plane like this one comes to commercial operation :)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Following on from Frantz's point, it's a shame that we aren't putting more effort into {super,ultra}sonic transport. Look at what Concorde achieved, given that it was designed (relatively) in the stone age! What could we achieve today if we applied a similar amount of effort?

I guess the next big thing will be Virgin Galactic's low-earth orbit stuff. Now THAT would be neat!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The problem with the Aeronautical Industry is the pace of innovation ... we are sill flying planes that were developed in the 1960s (Boeing 747 for example)..At that rate most of us will be 100 years old before plane like this one comes to commercial operation :)

The Air Force is still flying planes designed in the 1950s. We still have the B-52 bomber and the U-2 flying missions.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The Air Force is still flying planes designed in the 1950s. We still have the B-52 bomber and the U-2 flying missions.

Didn't they try and retire the U2 and were forced to bring it back into service?

Of course the B52 is up to what designation now? H???? :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-Right on both counts. The AF retired the SR-71 which was one of the fastest planes in existence because it was too expensive to operate. That left them with the U-2 and they have nothing to replace it with yet which is why the AF was forced by Congress to keep it in service. As for the B-52, none of them have an original piece of sheet metal left or an original rivet.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-Right on both counts. The AF retired the SR-71 which was one of the fastest planes in existence because it was too expensive to operate. That left them with the U-2 and they have nothing to replace it with yet which is why the AF was forced by Congress to keep it in service. As for the B-52, none of them have an original piece of sheet metal left or an original rivet.

Yes and interestingly as good as satellite imagery is, the pics by the spy planes are reportedly better. I would think though nowadays that UAV will eventually replace the U2.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes and interestingly as good as satellite imagery is, the pics by the spy planes are reportedly better. I would think though nowadays that UAV will eventually replace the U2.

I think that is the plan, but the technology isn't there yet. Weight and prime power is a bitch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing