Allman Brothers Band - Live At The Filmore East - First pressing

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
VG++ is an iffy condition rating in my book. I think I would rather have the Classic Records re-issue in mint condition.

I know nothing about this vinyl pressing, but thanks for your comments. Unless he has an accurate grading history I'd be somewhat leary as well for the price. Not that I would buy it, because I wouldn't. I have it on .flac and that's enough for me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I owned a first pressing of ABB Live at F.E. when I was in college, and I can tell you for sure that the quality control on those LP's was poor. Go for the Classic Records if you want an LP, and SACD or HDTracks for digital.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I owned a first pressing of ABB Live at F.E. when I was in college, and I can tell you for sure that the quality control on those LP's was poor. Go for the Classic Records if you want an LP, and SACD or HDTracks for digital.
I have this on vinyl but just play the SACD now, which I like a lot.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have a copy I bought back in the day, very early 70's, and a recent reissue. I'll have to compare them.
Is there a place on this forum to discuss bad pressings or other defects in new records? (i'm not talking about sonic complaints, per se, but physical defects, including warps- just had the experience with two different copies of the same new record from the same source).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Go for the George Piros original pressing.

Unfortunately used rock and jazz are a crapshot and anything short of mint is a major gamble, esp. with the Goldmine grading system (what a joke!). So in many cases, I'd opt for a reissue, even if it's not 100 pct of the original. Chances are, and CR didn't always have the best Q/C, the surfaces will be much better at least.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have a copy I bought back in the day, very early 70's, and a recent reissue. I'll have to compare them.
Is there a place on this forum to discuss bad pressings or other defects in new records? (i'm not talking about sonic complaints, per se, but physical defects, including warps- just had the experience with two different copies of the same new record from the same source).

Start your own thread in the vinyl section :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Go for the George Piros original pressing.

Unfortunately used rock and jazz are a crapshot and anything short of mint is a major gamble, esp. with the Goldmine grading system (what a joke!). So in many cases, I'd opt for a reissue, even if it's not 100 pct of the original. Chances are, and CR didn't always have the best Q/C, the surfaces will be much better at least.

What do you use instead, Myles? I don't use anything myself personally. I like to think I have enough experience with vinyl (both buying uned/new and selling) that I rate pretty accurately myself. Although I tend to grade on the conservative side.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What do you use instead, Myles? I don't use anything myself personally. I like to think I have enough experience with vinyl (both buying uned/new and selling) that I rate pretty accurately myself. Although I tend to grade on the conservative side.

Good question.

If someone says they are using the Goldmine grading scale, nothing less than mint or having return privileges. Even that doesn't assure anything! I have bought LPs that looked mint and sounded like they had been played with a needle with a silver dollar on top of the headshell. The highs were ground off the record :( Or one channel is very noisy. Etc, etc.

My preference is buying from someone who play grades their LPs (and describes what their ratings mean). Again, doesn't assure anything, but helps.

Then there's the weeding out process. You stick with those sellers who accurately describe the records for sale.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't even know if it is available on vinyl, but if you're a true ABB fan, the remastered and expanded The Fillmore Concerts is fabulous from a content POV. The jams go on for days and every note is well worth hearing. And it sounds great. Seems to be a fair bit of dynamic range left and it seems more detailed and clearer than my recollection of the original vinyl. That last phrase is pretty meaningless given the years since I've listened to the vinyl, but the CDs do sound good. On my hard drive :).

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing