Cantate Domino - Propius SACD or FIM K2HD

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Which one would you all recommend as the ultimate disc version of this wonderful music? Thanks!!!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Which one would you all recommend as the ultimate disc version of this wonderful music? Thanks!!!

I own every version on CD from RBCD, SACD and K2HD. I prefer the latter K2HD

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
i asked Bruce B. about this, and he said the SACD is a true DSD master and not an upsampled CD file. I have the SACD and it's great. Haven't heard the K2HD, which are almost universally superb.

Lee

Steve Williams

i asked Bruce B. about this, and he said the SACD is a true DSD master and not an upsampled CD file. I have the SACD and it's great. Haven't heard the K2HD, which are almost universally superb.

Lee

Don't get me wrong as I too love the SACD but there was just something better to my ears with the newer K2HD

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
K2 as well.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good evening, gentlemen. It has been said that the noise floor can be high on this album. Can any of you comment on this? I went to go purchase the K2HD just now and the thought came to mind as to which version had the lowest noise floor, along with the best sound.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
IIRC this album was recorded in a church and the noise floor is mostly that of the venue. I'm more familiar with the various LP versions my favorite being the ATR Mastercut precisely because the final product was less scrubbed clean (as is the ATR version of JATP). My way of saying that to me, not all noise floors are bad I guess.

While the SACD sounds more refined to me this refinement came with a slightly more distant perspective. The K2 seats me a bit closer as it seems to have more sonority. These are my impressions playing the discs on the same machines (Accuphase DP-78 and Emm CDSD - DCC2 SE). When the K2 is played on my dedicated CDP which has no SACD capability, the difference is even more apparent.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Lee

I will say that having sampled (using laptop only) the CD and the SACD...the SACD was stunning. Even on the laptop, i could hear a big difference. The K2 is $38 and the SACD is $9...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am going to go for K2...the query is whether i go for SACD as well to learn and compare...i always can compare the SACD and then give it as a small thank you to my local dealer who does not have it so he can use it in his showroom...they often do me small favors and do not charge me. I usually give a small bottle or something...

Steve Williams

I am going to go for K2...the query is whether i go for SACD as well to learn and compare...i always can compare the SACD and then give it as a small thank you to my local dealer who does not have it so he can use it in his showroom...they often do me small favors and do not charge me. I usually give a small bottle or something...

I didn't think you could play SACD Lloyd

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't think you could play SACD Lloyd

well, i technically can if i go out of my modd'd Oppo 83...but you're right. generally, i go for SACDs only for long-term purposes when i go hi-res. But meanwhile, just enjoy RBCD out of the Zanden.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
K2 as well.

Thanks, Steve, Jack and Lee. Just ordered the K2HD only...look forward to hearing it and comparing to the regular CD.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I recently listened to the K2HD version and the forthcoming UltraHD test CD in Winston's room. What Winston is going to try to do is to re-issue it on LP, but from a first press (anyone remember the white cover first limited edition?) LP, not the tapes. He thought that the tapes have already deteriorated over the past 40 years, and the first press sounds better. Another WBF forum member - Ki Choi - is being press ganged to help :D

By the way, the Esther LP on FIM will be available soon. The test pressing has been approved, and I understand that the LP s will be delivered sometime this week - and we will be randomly picking from the pile to do some quality checking.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I recently listened to the K2HD version and the forthcoming UltraHD test CD in Winston's room. What Winston is going to try to do is to re-issue it on LP, but from a first press (anyone remember the white cover first limited edition?) LP, not the tapes. He thought that the tapes have already deteriorated over the past 40 years, and the first press sounds better. Another WBF forum member - Ki Choi - is being press ganged to help :D

By the way, the Esther LP on FIM will be available soon. The test pressing has been approved, and I understand that the LP s will be delivered sometime this week - and we will be randomly picking from the pile to do some quality checking.

How did the the UltraHD compare to the K2HD of Cantate?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
How so? Which did you prefer?

Different - it was an early test press of the UltraHD. Unlike labels for whom "bits are bits", Winston listens to test pressings of CDs. Even though the digital master is the same, different plants, and even different materials result in different sound.

If you are interested in Winston's latest UltraHD format, and comparison to K2HD, check out the Producer's Choice UltraHD series. Many of the tracks are also available on XRCD, XRCD2, XRCD24 and K2HD. Eye opening comparisons at 16/44.1.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Different - it was an early test press of the UltraHD. Unlike labels for whom "bits are bits", Winston listens to test pressings of CDs. Even though the digital master is the same, different plants, and even different materials result in different sound.

If you are interested in Winston's latest UltraHD format, and comparison to K2HD, check out the Producer's Choice UltraHD series. Many of the tracks are also available on XRCD, XRCD2, XRCD24 and K2HD. Eye opening comparisons at 16/44.1.

Thanks...intriguing. i have bought Ella and Louis FIM vs Analogue Productions and Ella and Louis Again Analogue Productions and MFSL Gold Remaster...to compare. So now i will compare RBCD to FIM Cantate.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks...intriguing. i have bought Ella and Louis FIM vs Analogue Productions and Ella and Louis Again Analogue Productions and MFSL Gold Remaster...to compare. So now i will compare RBCD to FIM Cantate.

Post your impressions. I will be curious to hear what others think.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gary,

Sure thing. Looking forward to it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing