Omni Gon The Final Phonostage

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Yes, internal amplification for the Subwoofer. The Preamp has an own output stage and can "communicate" with it directly. No filters, no loss of Signal.

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Yes, internal amplification for the Subwoofer. The Preamp has an own output stage and can "communicate" with it directly. No filters, no loss of Signal.

You need a low pass for the subwoofer somewhere in the signal chain , comparable to the high pass (implemented in preamp) for mid/high speakers.

Reinhard

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

...And your Music selections as well; only the best!
:b

Well, the music, there was a short discussion in another Thread about the sonic qualities from Opera Houses. Some are indeed very special, when you go to a concert you will notice the sound of the Hall itself as you walk into the auditorium before the music starts. It is so "alive" that in a way it "hits" you into the face with its kind of "Presence" even though its just made of the "feeling/impression" you get in the hall (talking from the people, Instruments moving, testing...).
You are surrounded by it and get in a specific way this "feeling" of the reality. And when the music starts, this kind of characteristic becomes the context you hear in the music.
Some electronics can indeed sound "real", without their - usual - own sonic 'fingerprint'. It is not a review. These are worthless anyway because we all know, that even the worst units out there got (and will) a good one. So, I don't care about them. I prefer science and knowledge. And with some records (older ones) I am as a Listener in the Position of the Microphone, in a way it is a view into the Orchestra. That's what's all about. For me. ;)

The first impression when I started my Omni Gon a year ago was that there is a ton more stuff going on in my records than I ever had any idea was there. These microdynamics are responsible for a total different kind of Impression when the record is running. And I don't write about 300$ super-duper-records. Or Audiophile pressings ... most of them sound great even on a 500$ Turntable but they don't go on with better Equipment...
With my last visitor we spent most of the time with flabby 80gr records. And I don't write about always the same new stuff (bigger Bass, deeper Soundstage or like usual I L-O-V-E it because I am able to afford it and you aren't...), every record showed me a new "glow". I could hear stage depth in some recordings I didn't realize that is was "there", a subtlety of balance between the instruments I didn't hear before (and never heard again btw.) Well, it was worth all the hassle...

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hello DEV,

The Omni Gon is sitting quietly, this afternoon, looking like a polite Bavarian-in-a-box in the Dallas Customs cage. Hopefully, this preamplifier will wind its way south sometime the first of next week. I am currently beefing-up a mouse to handle the special cabling requirements.

Kind regards,
ALF

This Omni Gon has finally escaped customs and has made it to my home in South Texas. Very nice; however, this one is redundant now there will not be a second system. So, this Omni Gon is up for sale on Audiogon...available today, without the agonizing two-year wait that Syntax was discussing.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
This Omni Gon has finally escaped customs and has made it to my home in South Texas. Very nice; however, this one is redundant now there will not be a second system. So, this Omni Gon is up for sale on Audiogon...available today, without the agonizing two-year wait that Syntax was discussing.

Do you have a link?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I would call that a good deal for those with the scratch and the room for the component. Get it while it's hot.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
i would just say that if you had the kind of money that made this reasonably attainable without divorce or calamity to the kid's college fund or retirement, that this is well worth considering as an end stage vinyl acquisition.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Who has really heard this unit besides Syntax?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Syntax and the German Mafia have some pretty impressive analog credentials. They seem to have distilled some of the best of antiquarian tweaking and re-capture along with modern implementations.

If you look at the internals of the really high end and expensive European analog, like DaVinci and Ypslion, the Omni Gon still looks like massive overkill.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I would call that a good deal for those with the scratch and the room for the component. Get it while it's hot.

Syntax and the German Mafia have some pretty impressive analog credentials. They seem to have distilled some of the best of antiquarian tweaking and re-capture along with modern implementations.

If you look at the internals of the really high end and expensive European analog, like DaVinci and Ypslion, the Omni Gon still looks like massive overkill.

Is that your quote above (the one on top)?

DDB

Mar 28, 2012
Maybe I am off the beaten path, but buying this unit, without published measurments requires someone really comfortable with tone controls vs performance.

Things like s/n, basic thd, basic imd, seperation, accuracy of riaa, blah blah.....you know, all the easy stuff.

Nice looking stuff though, on the outside, inside, well, I did not see anything extraordinary. Lundahl transformers, industrial fuse holders, industrial caps, and by the way, mil spec was more about lack of microphonics and vibration resistance, not absolute fidelity...check the specs out in tube books to see what differentiates a mil-spec tube.

Tom

A few details - the easy stuff ..:

Phono specs for OmniGon s/n 10 (ALF's):
RIAA accuracy (20 Hz to 20 kHz): better than +/- 0.1 dB.
Phono linear phase derivation (DLP) 20 Hz to 20 kHz phono MM: less than + 0.2°
Phono linear phase derivation (DLP) 20 Hz to 20 kHz phono MC (3-6 Ohms): less than + 1.5 °
Frequency response Phono MC1: -3 dB at 0.4 Hz and 210 kHz
Phono Overload MM: 400 mV
Phono Overload MC 1: 38 mV
Phono MM IMD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.019%
Phono MM THD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.02%
Phono MC1 IMD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.03%
Phono MC1 THD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.03%
Channel separation Phono: 92 dB
Output impedance: 120 Ohms
Tube complement: VT229 (2x), VT231 (2x), E80cc (4x), CV135 (4x)

And .... Lundahl cokes only inside power supply .... Syntax' pictures do only show the part of the iceberg which is above water line ...

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Is that your quote above (the one on top)?

I guess, it's not a quote, just my remark. Maybe I don't understand your question?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing