Omni Gon The Final Phonostage

asb

Apr 17, 2017
Nothing went wrong , the repair was comparatively straightforward.

asb

Apr 17, 2017
At first I had to fix the cabinet and structure, nearly all screws have been loose.
This is a primitive pre-fabricated case made of thin steel, only the faceplate and
backplate are custom made aluminium.

On one of the internal structures rubber spring mounts have been too weak and
had to be replaced. The mute switch was broken due to this and needed replacement.
One of the E80CC tubes was dead due to a bad filament soldering at the base. The
socket went hot and the tube was destroyed.

Silver wires had to be checked, soldering silver to a different metal seems to be a problem.
Contact integrity of switches was good.

Attachments

• IMGP4940.JPG
    IMGP4940.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 102

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Found a Pic from my Vendetta Phono Stage, it was the latest Version, SCP-2T with all the final modifications. One of some units I used for my comparisons ...

SCP-2T Vendetta - 1.jpg

Reactions: GMKF

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Considering Dietrich sells all his products through distributors and dealers, there can be no such worries. He has been operating the last 4 years or so quite successfully it would seem with no issues with product or service. I certainly know the Aussie distributor has had no problems.

I saw the Avocator phono in HK in August. It looked very impressive and build quality was excellent, however I was more interested in the giant monolith that was his turntable.

from M&S
Something new is coming from Dietrich Bakemeier and Acoustical Systems team. The EVOcator is Acoustical Systems’ all new full-feature reference tube RIAA phono stage implementing PTFE-circuit boards gel-cushioned for vibration isolation, pure silver foil in oil capacitors, premium grade triodes...

“With the EVOcator we complete our product portfolio as it was the last major component "missing" in the all analog front end chain.”

The EVOcator all-triode-tube reference RIAA phono stage features:

· full feature 4 phono inputs – RCA and balanced - w/3 selectable gain stages for MC
· 2 outputs – RCA and balanced – 600 Ohms studio pro standard
· front panel selectable load for capacitance and impedance for MI and MM
· front panel selectable load impedance for MC inputs
· front panel selectable phono phase 0° and 180° inverted
· front panel selectable Mono / Stereo
· separate power supply with tube rectification and
· DC tube regulated plate supply
· Selectable grounding route for zero hum
· Operates 100 to 250 V ac line – 50Hz and 60 Hz
· Highest quality connections: WBT (RCAs), Eichmann (RCAs choice) Furutech (IEC socket and XLR (choice)), Lemo (power supply to phono stage).

Made with PTFE-circuit boards gel-cushioned for vibration isolation, pure silver foil in oil capacitors, premium grade triodes, top-class RCA and XLR connectors and entirely non-magnetic high dampened alloy cabinets.

Entirely designed and made in Germany.

View attachment 30041

View attachment 30042

Attachments

• Opus-120-1-960x528.jpg
    Opus-120-1-960x528.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 56

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
The Name is Evocator, a 2 Chassis unit which has some influences (from the sonic goal) from the Omnigon.
A different unit from layout but good enough to bite the bullet...

Highest End - 1.jpeg

Here is the official Hong Kong High End Show 2019 invitation video.

Innovation for High End

There are not much Designers out there who got that merit.
Wait a minute, then it starts....

There are differences...

Last edited:

japan-audio

Dec 31, 2022
Switzerland
I am using the Opus 120PH from Wall Audio and I am relay happy with this great tube phono stage. I found some pictures from an Acoustical Systems Evocator phono stage what is offered for 10 times more at a forum thread @ hiendy. This unit is offered in HK for 415.999$. Inside it looks relay close to the Wall Opus 120PH. It seems that the Opus 120 has all 3 tube boards in one chassies. The tubes used inside the Opus 120 are:
Tube Phono: 6 x ECC82, RCA Output
Tube Output: 2 x ECC82 Mono/Stereo, Phase 0/180° switch
Tube Power Supply: 1 x ECC82 | 1 x EF80 | 1 x 6C19 | 1 x EZ80/EZ81
Maybe some knows how the boards are fitted with the tubes inside the AC Evocator phono stage. There is a small difference at the inputs. At the front they look also similiar. The position and the funktion of the switches are nearly the same and has the same poisition. It looks realy realy close so may it the same manufactorer behind this units?

Attachments

• as_1.JPG
    as_1.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 42
  • as_2.JPG
    as_2.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 40
  • opus 120ph.jpg
    opus 120ph.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: audioblazer

japan-audio

Dec 31, 2022
Switzerland
Vendetta Phono Stage
This units were also manufactored in switzerland under a name McKinnie ro. Reza Oskoui was a former technican working for John Curl and was allowed to use the cirquit design for his own named McKinnie ro phono stages. In the past they were offered in different configurations. As phono incl. RIAA but mostly as a step up only. The basic info were also posted at a historik thread included a comment by J.Curl himself: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/john-curl-mc-kinnie-phono-pre-preamplifier.78843/
The last McKinnie ro are openend designed and does not have a black box and are usefull. Still one of the best step up units if you need a higher impendanz like the one for Benz Micro Gullwing or LP cartridges.

Last edited:
Reactions: audioblazer

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
I am using the Opus 120PH from Wall Audio and I am relay happy with this great tube phono stage. I found some pictures from an Acoustical Systems Evocator phono stage what is offered for 10 times more at a forum thread @ hiendy. This unit is offered in HK for 415.999$. Inside it looks relay close to the Wall Opus 120PH. It seems that the Opus 120 has all 3 tube boards in one chassies. The tubes used inside the Opus 120 are:
Tube Phono: 6 x ECC82, RCA Output
Tube Output: 2 x ECC82 Mono/Stereo, Phase 0/180° switch
Tube Power Supply: 1 x ECC82 | 1 x EF80 | 1 x 6C19 | 1 x EZ80/EZ81
Maybe some knows how the boards are fitted with the tubes inside the AC Evocator phono stage. There is a small difference at the inputs. At the front they look also similiar. The position and the funktion of the switches are nearly the same and has the same poisition. It looks realy realy close so may it the same manufactorer behind this units?
For tube output Dietrich is using E80CC for many years.

japan-audio

Dec 31, 2022
Switzerland
HI Reinhard.
Do you havebthis Evocator phono stage and knows what tubes inside or you think to know what kind of tubes are insidenthe Evocator phonomstage? There is a big diffrrencembetween believing and knowing something. What was done or used i the past means not it is now the same.

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Dietrich used the E80CC in his Omnigon preamp, don`t think he has made a new output stage.
But as you say I am only believing it.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

japan-audio

Dec 31, 2022
Switzerland
Dear Reinhard.
You are taling of his pre name like you know him personal. If you do, please contact him and find put if you are wright.
I think the output stage in " his" line pre amp is different as in the phono stage.The E80CC coul not used 6 times in serie as the ECC82,tube. Also Verdier used in his phono stage some ECC tubes in serie for a low output.
I will be happy if I fould get more detailed oinfos about his phono stage. I am realy happy with the Wall Audio Opus 120PH.

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Japan-audio? Is that your real name?

As you can see the electronics is build by Andreas Wall. As you are a customer, please ask yourself
Reinhard

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing