Blenders - what's best

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
Folks,
My wife has had it with our current cheapo blender (it doesn't blend very well). What is everyone else using? I've looked at Blentec, Vitamix, and Breville. The Breville seems to have some reviewer complaints about leaking seals and premature failures. There is a big pissing match between Blentec and Vita-mix and it's hard to dig up facts (especially since both are sold via a demonstrator sales model... they don't want to give much info on their websites).

So, what's the best option? The blender MUST fully puree veggies and fruit. Nuts, etc. is a bonus.

Greg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We had a recent thread on this. For now, we have beat the hell out of our Vitamix and it keeps going. The kids even ground the teeth on its gear by shaking the container while it was still running. Other than a bit of play over that, it still chops up stuff like it is not there. No experience with others though.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi
Vitamix fan here... but Blendtech is a serious competition .. Just got one second hand.. For smoothies .. Blendtech is really but really serious competition. It can be programmed to just do it by itself. You program, drop the ingredient and it does the rest , slowing, pulsating, accelerating .. Stopping and re-starting to have smoothies (and other stuffs too) to the consistency one needs or desire. In term of versatility Vitamix is unmatched and if nuts and other dry foods need to be processed, it would be a better choice. I don't think Breville is up there with these two.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
Thanks everyone. One thing that seems nice about the Blendtec is that with 2 blades it is easier to scoop out thick pastes (nut butters, etc.). We're making a lot of purees and nut butters for our baby and toddler; minimal hassle is critical.

My wife is not big on a lot of buttons and gadgets so the Vitamix may be the best option from a user friendliness standpoint (knob & on/off switch).

sistalove

Mar 17, 2012
I know the feeling. I got sick of my old blender too. It was hard to choose between the Blendtec and Vitamix. My sister-in-law kept telling me I had to get the Blendtec. I found this Blendtec vs Vitamix comparison wonderfully helpful.

I ended up choosing a Vitamix - and used this Vitamix promotion code for free shipping. It purees everything!

I don't think it matters which one you get - just choose and be happy :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Vitamix...hands down. Just got it. Ridiculous! For those who think this is crazy...drop in raw seeds and some yeast...30-60 seconds and you have dough...ready tdrop in a pan and bake. Same with muffins. Or take yogurt, frozen fruit, a little sugar or honey and ice cubes...60 seconds...you've got smoothy creamy frozen yogurt (or ice cream if you use double cream). Drop in onions, carrots (whole), spices, water...5 minutes...due to friction of the blades...you get hot soup, steam actually rises out of the top.

Drop in peanuts maybe some sugar...less than 60 seconds...peanut butter. drop in meat for burgers...30 seconds...ground.

we had no idea a blender could do all this...we dont have a food processor and now see no reason to have one.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Vitamix...hands down. Just got it. Ridiculous! For those who think this is crazy...drop in raw seeds and some yeast...30-60 seconds and you have dough...ready tdrop in a pan and bake. Same with muffins. Or take yogurt, frozen fruit, a little sugar or honey and ice cubes...60 seconds...you've got smoothy creamy frozen yogurt (or ice cream if you use double cream). Drop in onions, carrots (whole), spices, water...5 minutes...due to friction of the blades...you get hot soup, steam actually rises out of the top.

Drop in peanuts maybe some sugar...less than 60 seconds...peanut butter. drop in meat for burgers...30 seconds...ground.

we had no idea a blender could do all this...we dont have a food processor and now see no reason to have one.

:D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have never used ours that way despite how the commercials depict it. We use it as a high power blender. Should try that next. Thanks for the motivation :).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Again, Vitamix hands down. I have had them for over twenty years, never had a problem except when the ex-wife was stirring something and dropped a spoon into a spinning one at high speed. It tore up the spoon and splashed up to the ceiling. It dulled the blade slightly, but they replaced if free of charge.

Now, Vitamix just came out with a couple of new models (Vitamix Pro series) with wider but shallower pitchers of the same 64oz volumes, with wider blades that is even better than the Vitamixes we have come to know and love.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Again, Vitamix hands down. I have had them for over twenty years, never had a problem except when the ex-wife was stirring something and dropped a spoon into a spinning one at high speed. It tore up the spoon and splashed up to the ceiling. It dulled the blade slightly, but they replaced if free of charge.

Now, Vitamix just came out with a couple of new models (Vitamix Pro series) with wider but shallower pitchers of the same 64oz volumes, with wider blades that is even better than the Vitamixes we have come to know and love.

Honestly Blendtech is good too and is programmable to boot. I find myself using the Vitamix more and will eventually give the Blendtech as a gift but If I would be satisfied with the Blendtech.. Truly a toss up although I don't know if the Blendtech would last the 10 years of heavy usage I have seen on some Viamix.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I love how many people love this thing...and my fiancee and i had never even heard of it until last weekend when my brother was visiting. he loves to cook, and we asked him for advice on food processors, blenders, ice cream makers. he said Vitamix. We went out to the department store...and had NO intention of buying such an expensive thing. We went out for a good blender...period.

And sure enough, Vitamix was doing a demonstration...we bought it. And we just made ice cream last nite...took us about 90 seconds from taking out the frozen cherries from the freezer, cream from fridge...to blending it quickly and then dropping it into a bowl and sitting down to enjoy. What a load of fun!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Vita-Mixer Maxi-4000
+1 ;)

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012

The Blendtech does all that as well. Both companies make a nice unit.

I would not want to chop/grind beef in this manner for hamburgers... it's not going to result in an ideal texture.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Blendtech does all that as well. Both companies make a nice unit.

I would not want to chop/grind beef in this manner for hamburgers... it's not going to result in an ideal texture.

Thanks, Greg. Its funny...we'd never even heard these names before until 2 wks ago. Then, the 2 names that came up over dinner with my brother when we asked him were: Vitamix and Blendtech. We got Vitamix because when we walked into the store the next day to check some blenders out...Vitamix just happend to be there doing a demonstration (and the store did not sell Blendtech). We were 'sold'...literally, and have enjoyed using it every day since.

Good to know on burgers/meatballs. Probably will use Vitamix for now, as we dont have meat grinder...or we can always buy ground meat which is easy to do. Still - fun to experiment. (Well to be fair, my fiancee experiments...i just get to eat!)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi
Have both ... The Blendtech is as good .. Different. In term of reliability the Vitamix doesn't have much electronics aside from the rheostat and motor speed control.. That would suggest a little more reliable .. In term of specs the Blendtech is more powerful .. The vitamix has that long thing that allows you to move things around when you blend the Blendech doesn't .. The blendtech has however pre-programmed buttons.. Press any and it goes on does its things and turns off with great results

As for results, Exact same in exact same time. Price very similar

It is a case of two outstanding products ... Whatever you can do with one you can with the other

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing