Mac Book Pro To Be Replaced By New Mac Book Air

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro'

A Mac accessory maker who spoke with Electricpig at the CU Exposed show this week indicated that Apple is "likely" to launch its 15-inch MacBook Air in April. The anonymous source said the thin-and-light notebook would be similar to current MacBook Air models, with ports on both sides and no optical drive or Ethernet port.

The vendor reportedly speculated that the new 15-inch MacBook Air would "effectively (kill) the (MacBook) Pro for the average consumer." They suggested that the new MacBook Air could even replace the 15-inch MacBook Pro, leaving the "Pro" moniker only to Apple's high-end 17-inch model......

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...air_in_april_effectively_killing_the_pro.html

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I hope not. IMHO, a 15" screen is the sweet spot between enough screen real estate and not humping a huge "laptop" around everywhere, and the MBP has features I wouldn't want to be without.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Same here. I want my optical drive.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
and I want my ethernet port.

Was gonna say that .. I am not sure Apple will entirely ditch the Ethernet port. As it is they are making a serious push toward the Enterprise market and often Enterprise customers need their Ethernet Port..Faster and more secure ...

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Was gonna say that .. I am not sure Apple will entirely ditch the Ethernet port. As it is they are making a serious push toward the Enterprise market and often Enterprise customers need their Ethernet Port..Faster and more secure ...

Agreed, no way they're forcing people into wireless only. I just hope it's a jack not a dongle. That sounds suspect :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's right, Ethernet! I need it for Rekordbox!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Ethernet is a no-brainer..The connector is small enough and it actually pulls less power than wireless on the batteries ... Likely the'll leave it if they indeed are targeting the enterprise market. You can see the push in the new security features of IOS 5.1 and the new OSX... Ethernet easily goes Gigabit ... With all current flavor of wireless you are lucky to get a real throughput of 50 mbit/s and that would suppose the device is alone on the network and close to the Access Point, with no interference an overly optimistic assumption ..Fast but not that fast in reality despite claims of 300 Mb/s Most of the time much less

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Wireless can still be flaky at times, and in the commercial/professional market where a decent chunk of Pros reside, that (and slower speeds) can't be tolerated. It's OK on an Air, not acceptable on a Pro IMO.

Also, the Air is so thin at it's thickest point that it probably couldn't accommodate an Ethernet jack. The resident thunderbolt/displayport and USB ports both have lower profiles. A Pro with an Air-like shape might have to be a bit thicker somewhere to accommodate an Ethernet port. Otherwise it's some kind of dongle.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
No ethernet is a deal breaker for me.... especially when I do video on my Macs. Try to upload a Hi-def video to an ftp server over wireless!! The client will be waiting for days!!

Steve Williams

No ethernet is a deal breaker for me.... especially when I do video on my Macs. Try to upload a Hi-def video to an ftp server over wireless!! The client will be waiting for days!!

Buy a 17" Bruce

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm hoping Apple doesn't do it. There are gonna be a lot of P'd off 15" Pro owners who don't want or need a desktop replacement sized solution. Particularly those of us that travel a lot. Believe it or not there are still a whole lot of hotels that offer free internet only via Ethernet. If we are forced to use our phones as access points the roaming data charges are crippling. Even if the supply some sort of adapter dongle thing, it's just another small piece that can be easily lost or left behind.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Apple has been able to somewhat dictate its offerings to the public. The Enterprise sector however is different. Iam in IT and a lot of my colleagues in the IT world, especially on the enterprise side are very reluctant to introduce the iPhone in their enterprise environment. They don't want to be dictated, rather they want someone who would listen to their concerns. It is one thing to be pretty and another to be able to work with the much more stringent enterprise security features and performance requirements. Wireless in not that secure and in comparison to Ethernet slow. It wouldn't a vast redesign to include Ethernet on a laptop however small that they won't it to be, the enterprise world hates dongle..Ask anyone who has lost the dongle during a trip :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
OK, so gentlemen's bet Steve -- I predict an ethernet port and you say wireless only. We'll see in April it sounds like.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
The Air needs some more upgrades before it can completely replace the MacBook Pro. The Air screen is not as good, and the graphics are limited to Intel HD 3000. There are other differences that matter to power users (not necessarily me). I think that it will happen but the Air still needs some work.

Steve Williams

The Air needs some more upgrades before it can completely replace the MacBook Pro. The Air screen is not as good, and the graphics are limited to Intel HD 3000. There are other differences that matter to power users (not necessarily me). I think that it will happen but the Air still needs some work.

I thought the MB Air has a new processor

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just got a Retina MacBook Pro to replace my now 3 year old MBP. You could title this post, "Why I am Considering Murder".

To my surprise (my fault for total lack of due diligence) I was all set to do the data migration firewire in hand when, GASP!, no firewire! I let the migration assistant go step by step and the screen says connect both units to the same network via ethernet, $$#&$#&^%$*&^^%(^%*^%*$%$!!!!!!!!!!! No Ethernet Either!!!!!!!!!

So I rummage in the box. This is Apple, I've been using Power Books since they were black and had plastic clam shells. No ^%$%$*$&$% adapter cable.

At least for the first generation of Thunderbolt, supply the friggin' adapters!

If Jobs were alive this would have given him a seizure and killed him again. Damn you Cook! Get on the ball will ya!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing