Who's selling their Continuum Table now?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
MIke, I had heard that MF was looking to replace his Continuum, also. I wonder why these people are trying to unload the TT:confused:
Not that the asking price is shall we say a "fire sale":D

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
MIke, I had heard that MF was looking to replace his Continuum, also. I wonder why these people are trying to unload the TT:confused:

Continuum is down

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Is that a fact ???
That would be a shame , the market is probably to small for such a niche product .
Well if i could get my hands on a nice criterion i probably would someday , i doubt we ll ever see such a sophisticated turntable design again.
You ll buy a piece of audiohistory

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
andromeda

I am certainly not a prospective buyer ... just an audiophile... Could you tell me what makes the Continuum thing so sophisticated

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am a industrial factory mechanic by trade, i do also shaft laser alignment , thats my background i just love machined cnc parts , have you read about the bearing, the arm construction and everything else how it was developed ???
Its just high tech .
( exept my mdf speakers :D)

FrantzM;95710]andr
I am certainly not a prospective buyer ... just an audiophile... Could you tell me what makes the Continuum thing so sophisticated[/QUOTE]

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I still think their tonearm looks like somone lifted it out of a 1950s Seeburg jukebox.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Color me cynic ..

but this is interesting to me
Caliburn: suspensionless turntable with O-ring drive; cogless, battery-powered DC motor; vacuum holddown. Speeds (adjustable): 33.33, 45, 78 rpm. Wow & flutter, Rumble: not specified.

Emphasis is mine, nowhere on their website do you see any mention of Wow & flutter or Rumble ... Rarely have I seen a larger assembly of PhD and other degree-ed professionals to design a TT, likely unique, yet no mention of the most fundamental of turntable measurements " Wow & Flutter and Rumble? this science could not tell me the signal to noise ratio of the contraption or have we come to a point that these don't matter either in TTs?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Color me cynic ..

Emphasis is mine, nowhere on their website do you see any mention of Wow & flutter or Rumble ... Rarely have I seen a larger assembly of PhD and other degree-ed professionals to design a TT, likely unique, yet no mention of the most fundamental of turntable measurements " Wow & Flutter and Rumble? this science could not tell me the signal to noise ratio of the contraption or have we come to a point that these don't matter either in TTs?

W&F is essentially meaningless for the best of today's tables. They are all the same. This measurement was perhaps important years ago with idler frives, etc. but today what's more important are a turntable's micro as opposed to macro speed fluctuations. That's why you see power supplies akin to an amp by companies such as Avid, heavy platters, flywheels, etc. That's why motors are carefully chosen. That's why perhaps until recently AC were superior to DC drives. (eg. DC motors were constantly hunting and searching for the right speed.)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well with such a design approach i dont even have to know , call me stupid no problem .
If a manufacturers statement would be that important , but i agree with you on that .
Have you ever compared/measured efficiency numbers of loudspeakers or loudspeakerdrivers , some are very optimistic factorynumbers
Color me cynic ..,

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

a while back Continuum parted ways with their designer and main engineer. it seems since then things have not gone well with them. whether that was the problem or a sign of other problems only those inside would know.

personally i hope that a company like that can continue. David Payes, who is the main guy behind the company, was a person i used to communicate alot with in the past. a very good guy.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
W&F is essentially meaningless for the best of today's tables. They are all the same. This measurement was perhaps important years ago with idler frives, etc. but today what's more important are a turntable's micro as opposed to macro speed fluctuations. That's why you see power supplies akin to an amp by companies such as Avid, heavy platters, flywheels, etc. That's why motors are carefully chosen. That's why perhaps until recently AC were superior to DC drives. (eg. DC motors were constantly hunting and searching for the right speed.)

Myles

I'll leave it there because the thread is not about the design of TT or their price, I'll retreat but not before mentioning that I find your rationale flawed ...
We can take this to another thread if you want.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Frantz, I am curious as to why you find Myles's rationale flawed?:confused: It seemed to make sense to me.

If Continuum is no more, I pity the poor owners of these machines, the value and for some unknown reason...desirability, will plummet.:eek: Like I pointed out in my other thread about companies going under and the effect on the consumer of same.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
W&F is essentially meaningless for the best of today's tables.

Absolutely true. Wow and flutter single value measurements are weighted low bandwidth values, and would be be meaningless and error inducing, even for experts, if used alone. Unless you look at the spectral graphs and other secondary artifacts of the noise you would get a misleading picture. Several turntable manufacturers, e.g. Ceres, explain it.

A similar situation would happen if professionals would use only the wow and flutter as a mechanical descriptor to choose their tape reel recorders - only after some PhDs developed a model and a technique for measuring scrape flutter we could get a better view of the sound quality of the machines. But no manufacturer listed it, although it was used during development.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Schadenfreude for the cheapskates? MF will unload before he cannot make a profit or recoup the accommodation pricing?

Must be a few sheiks that are mad that their Rolex will now be a Casio.

My thought about the edifice/status turntables is that they are not refine-able, much less repairable. Above 20K, probably refinement counts as much as any other technical feature of a turntable, that somebody listened to it and did this and that until they got things right.

The big TT's like Rockport, Contunuum, and Goldmund are massively expensive white sheet engineering projects, how do you tweak them? They represent an act of faith that theory and execution will just work, which does not always jibe with listening results in analog.

Last edited:

jdza

May 3, 2010
If Continuum is no more, I pity the poor owners of these machines, the value and for some unknown reason...desirability, will plummet

Maybe for a year or 5. Look at Micro Seiki,Thorens Reference,even Cotter prices nowadays

Absolutely true. Wow and flutter single value measurements are weighted low bandwidth values, and would be be meaningless and error inducing, even for experts, if used alone

I agree. I have a Kenwood W&F meter and measured everything I could lay my hands on. All tables had a DIN weighted measurement of no lower than 0.04%. Then I realised I was measuring my test records,not the tables.Reel to Reel decks are a little better as you can record a tape,then play it back and measure. Here I found the biggest culprits to be the NAB adaptors,Reels and actual tape used for recording.With test tapes MRL states that their tape is only reliable to 0.04% DIN wghted as that is how low their A80 'll go. Tough luck for A820 owners trying to earn bragging rights.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The big TT's like Rockport, Contunuum, and Goldmund are massively expensive white sheet engineering projects, how do you tweak them? They represent an act of faith that theory and execution will just work, which does not always jibe with listening results in analog.

actually, execution mostly does just work. if you listened to these products when they were introduced they clearly advanced the reference. i have no experience with the Goldmund; i do with the Rockport and Continuum.

but; technology marches forward. so heroic efforts don't have unlimited shelf life at the cutting edge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing