Who's selling their Continuum Table now?

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
when I had listened to the Continuums at shows I was never impressed about the audiophile quality of the chain playing in the rooms. Then I had the chance listening to a Criterion in a private chain. Oh my god! My decision was quickly taken and I am very happy with my Criterion since three years. No problems at all. The Criterion will remain in my room like the R80 and the big Micro Seikis. Carefully matched with a good arm (e.g. Cobra) and a good cart (e.g. Lyra Atlas) this machine is a wonderful friend in terms of musicality. Not so the Goldmund which I sold.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
when I had listened to the Continuums at shows I was never impressed about the audiophile quality of the chain playing in the rooms. Then I had the chance listening to a Criterion in a private chain. Oh my god! My decision was quickly taken and I am very happy with my Criterion since three years. No problems at all. The Criterion will remain in my room like the R80 and the big Micro Seikis. Carefully matched with a good arm (e.g. Cobra) and a good cart (e.g. Lyra Atlas) this machine is a wonderful friend in terms of musicality. Not so the Goldmund which I sold.

Imagine it must with the Atlas. The Atlas is the closest thing to tape that I've heard. How is setting up cartridges in the arm? We know the Goldmund was a beast to set up with a cartridge!

What phono section are you using?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I find the Goldmund (studio, mind you) and T3F to be very, very good producers. Big, musical and ballsy, like a big Cabernet. Setting up a cartridge? Myles is right on. Pull up a chair... it will be a long night.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
it's not going the easy way setting up a cartridge in the Cobra arm like e.g. with the SME headshells in a FR-66s. I used to drive the Olympus, the Goldfinger V2 and now the Atlas. all these carts were/are good matches with the Cobra. As phono I am switching between EMT JPA 66, Boulder 2008, Zanden and Kondo M7. Currently the Criterion runs via the EMT which is in my eyes the most flexible phono tube- design I know.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Peter, the T3F is limited regarding the usage of cartridges because of the light counter weight and the linear tracking mechanism. I would not use carts with rubber parts like the Lyras in this arm. I went for the light Zyx UNIverse. The big Goldmund is a wonderful belt-driven construction and a very good table but it does not reach the Continuum's capabilities.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
T3F Counter weight=+++++ lead barbell weight, I hurt my back picking it up.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
I tried this too. To be very honest it worked but did not really improve the performance. The T3F, even the later version, is not as good as e.g. the Kuzma Airline or a well adjusted ET-2.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I tried this too. To be very honest it worked but did not really improve the performance. The T3F, even the later version, is not as good as e.g. the Kuzma Airline or a well adjusted ET-2.

OT, but perhaps you can start a thread on the EMT phono stage. It's imported in the US by Tone Audio Imports but hasn't received a lot of press over here.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Regarding Continuum Audio Labs company: I know they are still producing and using the small sales network distributing their units and parts. The problem seems to be that some of the cofounders concentrate on other projects, too. From my point of view they missed developing a TT in the 20-30 K region in 2010. Their web site looks a bit neglected.

Mr Bojangles

Aug 28, 2012
Frantz, I am curious as to why you find Myles's rationale flawed?:confused: It seemed to make sense to me.

If Continuum is no more, I pity the poor owners of these machines, the value and for some unknown reason...desirability, will plummet.:eek: Like I pointed out in my other thread about companies going under and the effect on the consumer of same.

I don't think the 'going under' factor is much to worry about for such an iconic product. Top end Micro/Micro Seiki turntables, idler Garrards - products from long defunct manufacturers of autos to watches and long deceased creators of artworks - their values are still going up, and up.

Mr Bojangles

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
the issue seems to be a different one. Of course Mr. Bojangles you are right. If we look at EMT, Micro-Seiki, Nakamichi we see the value of the units rising rather than going down. But maybe there are some guys among us telling all the time they would never buy or use such a unit, nevertheless dreaming of a Continuum getting it some day for a minimum price. Wishful Thinking!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
To give you a couple of examples of my thinking on this, Mr Bojangles: Hales speakers, Counterpoint gear, EAD gear, Cello, Theta and there are others that I cannot think of right now.
Idler Garrards were for many years not valued highly at all ...I think only recently have they come back. Top end Micros the same thing.

Mr Bojangles

Aug 28, 2012
To give you a couple of examples of my thinking on this, Mr Bojangles: Hales speakers, Counterpoint gear, EAD gear, Cello, Theta and there are others that I cannot think of right now.
Idler Garrards were for many years not valued highly at all ...I think only recently have they come back. Top end Micros the same thing.

Oh yes, DaveyF

The thing is, prices are not likely to go up immediately after makers of iconic equipment cease to trade. Up and up escalation of market prices will depend on rarity, quality and demand.

Following the last number of posts in this thread, I'm happy to read all of this seems to have been a false alarm:D

OT - elsewhere on this board, I may have mentioned I have altogether 5 Garrard 301's. Long ago when I started buying them, this was not by design or 'grand plan' to invest in a particular turntable I knew beforehand was going to fetch silly prices in a decade or two. These acquisitions 'just happened' as I was in the right place at the right time.

The first (in the avatar) was acquired for the equivalent of US$1. It was due out with the trash on the day I acquired it and stayed unused stored on a rack in my workshop for a few years before I had a closer look and saw its potential.

The next two was offered by someone I knew for the equivalent of US$10 apiece around the mid 80's.

Number 4 was purchased at a local flea market for US$2 and was my first grease bearing model and number 5 - another grease bearing version - was a 'present' from a customer I had assisted with servicing his 301 and the setting up of a new cartridge.

He hadn't played records for years and wanted to rip some vinyl for his son living in UK.

Months afterwards, the old gent called me and offered me the 301 (fitted with an RKG - something Ortofon 12" arm), and all of his records.

So airbearing - keep the faith:D, your wish for a low price Aussie deck one day, may well come true.

Mr Bojangles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing