Highest sale price on an LP throughout the history of audio?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Check this one out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beatles-int...tu=UCC&otn=15&ps=63&clkid=6911045518575654622

From the auction...

Price: US $125,000.00

For Serious Collectors Only.

Extremely Rare, Only One Sealed Copy Know to Exist.

The Beatles

First USA Stereo Release on VEE-JAY Records Label VJLP 1062, Factory Sealed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia, linked at from the auction.....

When the "Please Please Me" single was issued in the United States, Vee-Jay Records signed a licensing agreement with Transglobal, an EMI affiliate that worked to place foreign masters with US record labels, giving it the right of first refusal on Beatles records for five years.[2] As part of that agreement, Vee-Jay planned to release the Please Please Me album in the US, and received copies of the mono and stereo master tapes in late April or early May 1963.[3]

Originally, Vee-Jay considered releasing Please Please Me as it appeared in Britain. A surviving acetate made by Universal Recording Corporation of Chicago, probably in May 1963, contains all 14 songs in the same order as on the UK album, with the title still listed as Please Please Me.[4] But in keeping with the American norm of a 12-song album, Vee-Jay chose instead to delete "Please Please Me" and "Ask Me Why" and change the album's title to Introducing... The Beatles.[5] Also, the engineer at Universal in Chicago thought that Paul McCartney's count-in at the start of "I Saw Her Standing There" was extraneous rather than intentionally placed there, so he snipped the "one, two, three" from Vee-Jay's mono and stereo masters

Another thing I found interesting, also from the "auction"...

Thank You all for interest in this record, it will remain at the same price until sold.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Looks like at least two people need to put the crack pipe down.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Have to agree with Mark, someone needs to get a clue! :eek:

It has baffled me for a long time as to why people always post these type of ads on ebay?
Besides the time it takes to post the ad, there is also the cost of same.

The number of times I have seen various LP's on ebay advertised for just stupid money that never sell and have no chance of selling at anything even remotely close to the price is mind boggling:(.

As an example of this is if you look at the MFSL's for sale on ebay, there are hundreds if not thousands of these for either ridiculous 'Buy it now' prices or starting prices. Many of these ads are from the same seller's and are recycled month after month with no interest whatsoever....somebody please explain this to me:confused:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There is nothing special that I know of with regards to the Beatles Vee Jay LP. They are common. The only thing this guy has to hang his hat on is the fact that it is sealed. Big deal. So as soon as the wrapper comes off, now you have an LP that isn’t worth crap.

I’m a Beatles fan and I have lots of Beatle LPs and all of the CDs, both of the re-mastered CD collections, and the green apple that contains a USB stick with 24 bit flac file versions of the re-mastered albums that was limited to 50,000 copies world-wide. The best Beatle albums I have are the EMI Parlaphone LPs. I have lots of single LPs and two copies of the BC-13 collection which I think are great. I never lusted after the Vee Jay LP.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
There is nothing special that I know of with regards to the Beatles Vee Jay LP. They are common. The only thing this guy has to hang his hat on is the fact that it is sealed. Big deal. So as soon as the wrapper comes off, now you have an LP that isn’t worth crap.

I’m a Beatles fan and I have lots of Beatle LPs and all of the CDs, both of the re-mastered CD collections, and the green apple that contains a USB stick with 24 bit flac file versions of the re-mastered albums that was limited to 50,000 copies world-wide. The best Beatle albums I have are the EMI Parlaphone LPs. I have lots of single LPs and two copies of the BC-13 collection which I think are great. I never lusted after the Vee Jay LP.

Also, how can you tell that it is in fact the original wrapper?
Anyone can reseal an album.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mark Chapman's signed copy (before he did the deed) sold at auction for 6 figures. It was the album his fingerprints were lifted off and used at the trial. IIRC Sir Paul owns a copy of the first Quarrymen record and it's supposed to be valued in 6 figures as well.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Most valuable album in the popsike database at GBP19,000 is the Beatles White Album cover #5:
http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?top25=all

The database contains only the albums that were sold and actually paid for. It seems that on ebay, sometimes people bid an album all the way up, and then they don't go through with the transaction.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I have some Beatles 1st UK pressings and the rare Hottest Hits album, all in NM, but don't get the prices some are expecting for these. And as someone wrote above - sealed means little today, there's a lot of cheating.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have some Beatles 1st UK pressings and the rare Hottest Hits album, all in NM, but don't get the prices some are expecting for these. And as someone wrote above - sealed means little today, there's a lot of cheating.

That's the problem in record collecting today and has been for years. Many VeeJay Beatles LP's were faked leading to numerous people getting scammed:(. It wouldn't surprise me that the White Album that Gary shows could have been reproduced also, embossing numbers is fairly easy.

Look at the numerous Beatles "Butcher" LP's that have showed up over the years that have sold for good money. I know of at least two examples that were fake and sold for BIG money, only to be "exposed" by the collector world!

IMHO, Buying high dollar vinyl requires one to be VERY careful.:eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing