London Decca Jubilee

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hello catastrofe i use a london decca supergold , which is essentially the same but a cheaper version of the jubilee , the jubilee has a aluminium body and the supergold a plastic metal casing .
I am not going to talk about the looks of the cart which is different ,and the fact that i am also importer / dealer of london decca .
I am a person with a broad interest and i dont depend on the audioindustry for my living ,its a hobby /parttime business

DSC_0450 by andromeda61, on Flickr

They both have the same stylus , an extended line contact stylus.
I run mine at 1,95 grams on a sme 5 and a sme 20/3 table , ive tried vd hul condor in this table as well as koetsu urushi .
Its a very lively cart and if you like the house sound , then i doubt you would settle for less, it makes the others i tried a bit dull and lifeless
I run it with the arm adjustedhigher than level at the back and the antiskate set at 1,3 and a 47 kohms load
As this cart is very microphonic, touching the arm will induce noise through the speakers , the placement should be very rigid and stable as goes for all tables/arms
It works very well in the sme as did the koetsu and vd hull .
I ad a review which pretty much sums up my expiriences , although the cart tested is the ref model , the house sound will be the same .
Its a moving iron with a very unique way of converting mechanical movement into an electric signal , high output so only a mm phonostage is needed

http://hometheaterreview.com/london-decca-reference-cartridge-reviewed/

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue48/london_reference.htm

Ive had no quibbles what so ever with the cart , you do need to use the deram (decca) needle brush which is a soft brush and you should always clean the cart while sweeping from the back of the cart to the front as the needle tension construction is constructed that way, no fluids
Category : Cheap but extraordinay
The ref model has a different stylus a : fine line stylus , the basic principle design is the same for all models as far as i know
I have never expirienced lp wear or what so ever

Last edited:

_Tom_

Apr 22, 2012
Germany / near Koblenz
Dear audio friend,

it seems that you love the decca carts.

I know exactly why. The Deccas are very special carts. These cartridges can take our last nerve until they play well.
But if they play, then you can forget everything and let then often expensive systems look old.
I use also a Decca super gold in an old version with van den Hul Stylus and the decca pod. The best version I ever heard.
I also used the today version with the contact line stylus or an rebuild version by cartridge man.
And I loved the combination Decca - SME tonearm also. By the way: take a look at the headshell of an SME 309/310 or 312. It has the same design like the Decca cartridge...
It seems that the SME - Arm is made for the decca. In fact it is one of the best matches between a cartridge and this arm.

I write it was, because I sold the SME tonearm last year, but sometimes I miss him.

At the moment I use this cartridge in my Stax UA-7c. A very good match.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing