Any Numismatists Out There

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I do have a small coin collection dating back many years but never got into it to the extent that I did with stamp collecting

Any out there involved in coin collections? I would be interested as to what types you are collecting and what if any are worth some money?

Monkeyboy

Jun 25, 2010
Northern Virginia
I've been collecting American coins for years, but nothing of any great value. I'm really just interested in the artwork on the coins. My father collected coins and currency from around the world for decades and I inhereted that. I've added very little to it, but that's mostly because I don't have the sources he had. He worked for the State Department and would buy money from peopel who had just returned form this country or that. It isn't worth a whole lot. After all, he was a government worker with four kids to clothe and feed, but it's really an interesting collection. If there is life after death I'll just have to tell him about the Zimbabwean money I got. I'm still looking for a 100 trillion dollar note. He'd be pretty tickled.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Have you restored (polished) the coins at all?

Hello Steve,

I would never polish a coin. I am not a serious collector but I have some coins I have aquired over the years and original is always what any collector looks for. Btw, we could have a historic top in the gold market,along with stocks. The old adage,when everbody wants it,give it to them,might apply here.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
One simple rule currently is to retain any dimes or quarters from 1964 and before. Their silver content makes them worth many times their face value, with silver being ~ $24/oz. right now. This is not really numismatism, but sheer economics driven by the falling dollar and market positions.

Check that old coin jar!

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing