Rush Limbaugh-Can America Ever Get Wise To This Despot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am sure by now all of us have heard Rush Limbaugh's attack on student Sandra Fluke for testifying on Capitol Hill re contraception and to have called her a slut as well as other malicious comments.

What is it about the religious right, regardless of their beliefs to verbally attack this young woman who was brave enough to testify re Obama's Contraception mandate

Thank goodness at least 7 advertisers on his program have pulled their ads. Hopefully a start but IMO never enough to shut the mouth of such a despicable individual.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120304/US.Limbaugh.Advertisers/?cid=hero_media

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rush is just another sanctimonious windbag hypocrite. Why anyone listens to this moron is beyond me. Remember, he is the guy who had a vicious anti-drug stand. And then we find out he was addicted to narcotics and was doctor shopping and sending his maid out to make drug buys for him. And he never served a day in jail. I guess Martha Stewart trying to protect $65K of her own money was more of a threat to society than Rush’s doctor shopping and sending his maid out to score drugs for him.

The only reason that moron apologized for calling the woman a slut is because of the backlash it caused and losing sponsors which threatens his ability to remain on the air and blather on to the sorry souls who actually hang on every word he says. You won’t convince me that he is truly sorry.

You can never overestimate the stupidity of people and the things they will buy into in the name of religion and politics which are becoming indistinguishable now days. That’s why we had David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Heaven’s Gate. Here we had a toxic combo of men willing to let David have sex with their wives and daughters, people who knowingly drank poison, and a group of men who had themselves castrated and committed suicide so they could hitch a ride on a space ship that was hiding behind a comet. It would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic.

And now we have a Republican party with contenders all trying to show they are more religious than the other candidates. Santorum is leading the way in religious zealousness. He proclaimed he doesn’t believe in separation of church and state. The last president who claimed to talk to God was George Bush and he said God told him to go to war with Iraq. I really don’t want another president that claims to talk to God. I’d rather not even know about their religious beliefs-I wish they would keep them to themselves.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Mahatma Gandhi

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mark, +1

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he brought up an interesting point about the religious right and the tea party in particular. In his opinion, the reason that they are so much of a force today in politics is that besides the fact that they are vocal, they also go to the polls and vote. His point was while they are distinctly in a minority, not only in their beliefs but also in their members, they have a very disproportionate impact on the system at the moment; due to the lack of interest or apathy of the American public to the voting system. IMHO, he has a point:(.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There is apathy because the system is fixed on how we elect presidents. You have to be either Republican or Democrat, and you have to cater/pander to the base desires/beliefs of the respective parties. Independent parties can act as spoilers, but they don’t win presidential elections.

The Republican party has taken wackiness to an entirely new level in the last several years. Not only are they anti-abortion, they are now against-contraceptives which fits in nicely with the Catholic Church belief that you can never have enough Catholics. Santorum is the ?ber Catholic.

The only Republican running for the presidency right now that is not touting their religion to some extreme is Gingrich and for obvious reasons. Romney has to play down being a Mormon because he realizes that many Americans think Mormonism is more wacky than churches that pass around snakes during the service.

Gingrich does make some self-serving humbling statements about how he has not always acted in accordance with God’s wishes to explain away his habits of carrying on affairs and dumping wives in order to move on to the next woman. I mean, you can’t really run for office if you don’t at least mention your religious proclivities can you? The more religious someone claims to be that is running for office, the more leery I become of them.

So yeah, apathy abounds for many people who are tired about having to choose among poor choices.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the core of the issue is that being nasty sells, being nice, doesn't. I used to work late and on the drive home would listen to AM Talk show hosts. Host after host would get angry at callers, call them names and hang up on them. I am not talking about political talk shows. I am talking about people giving general life advice. Then they would proceed to brag with utmost arrogance that their show was being broadcast by hundreds of radio stations in US. It seems then that if you want to make money for a radio station and yourself, you have to be this way because clearly we reward such behavior with our pocketbook.

I am sure Rush is happy to have gotten this massive dose of publicity. Everywhere I look, folks are talking about him now. This is why he will do it again, not because of any political agenda really. He wants to make money and the rules are to be this way.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I never listen to RL, because every time I hear his voice, I want to put him into a human cannon and fire him off the Empire State Building.

Some of his comments, heard second hand, are kind of funny, though.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Obviously I am in the minority (and my wife listens to Rush now and then; I am at work and am not a huge fan anyway, but for full disclosure) but I do not agree with my tax dollars funding students' contraception. Pay to play and all that... I realize the liberal counter is that we'll pay for the consequences later with higher student birth rates, but I feel the problem to attack is their morals and self-responsibility, not their inability (or lack of desire) to pay for contraception.

Whatever - Don (voice in the wilderness)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Our tax dollars go to pay for all kinds of crap that I personally don’t want to pay for. This wasn’t even about whether or not contraception costs should be paid for by an employer. This was all about Rush calling the woman a slut, a prostitute, and saying she should make a sex video so he can watch it and feel like he got his money’s worth.

Steve Williams

Obviously I am in the minority (and my wife listens to Rush now and then; I am at work and am not a huge fan anyway, but for full disclosure) but I do not agree with my tax dollars funding students' contraception. Pay to play and all that... I realize the liberal counter is that we'll pay for the consequences later with higher student birth rates, but I feel the problem to attack is their morals and self-responsibility, not their inability (or lack of desire) to pay for contraception.

Whatever - Don (voice in the wilderness)

Our tax dollars go to pay for all kinds of crap that I personally don’t want to pay for. This wasn’t even about whether or not contraception costs should be paid for by an employer. This was all about Rush calling the woman a slut, a prostitute, and saying she should make a sex video so he can watch it and feel like he got his money’s worth.

Don

whether you agree or not with who funds contraception, as Mark and I both posted the real issue is about this despicable man uttering such horrible things on radio about this young woman and then issuing a joke for an apology

mep

Apr 20, 2010
AOL just dumped him so the list is up to 8 now. CNN reported that the RL show is the most widely listend to talk show in America. I find that frightening if true.

Steve Williams

AOL just dumped him so the list is up to 8 now. CNN reported that the RL show is the most widely listend to talk show in America. I find that frightening if true.

yeh and the Dr Laura Show is number 2 :)

The problem is America is a very forgiving nation and this will just become old news

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have some reservations about government funding contraception, but they pale next the the reservations I have about government accomodating specific religious beliefs. I don't believe the Founders took a position on contraception. They took a very clear one on the separation of church and state, and it was one of their wisest legacies.

By the way, left, right or center, Rush is no Christian. He is a mean, cynical, selfish bastard who would say or do anything for a dollar. He called that girl a slut? Look for a whore instead; it's the fat guy behind the microphone.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't think there's an ounce of sincerity in the guy. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to discover that he's apolitical.

Tim

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
I am a Republican but I can't listen to most of the talk shows on either side of the aisle, for a conservative talk show the only one I like is John Batchelor out of New York, I download the podcasts on iTunes.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
10 sponsors and counting...He even said more vile things than calling her a slut. Rush said she has had so much sex he doesn't know how she was able to walk up capitol hill to testify.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Firstly, no one condones Mr. Limbaugh's inappropriate language regarding Ms. Fluke. No one would like their mother, wife or daughter addressed like that. He has stated that he realizes what he did was inappropriate and has apologized. I assume positive intent with respect to the sincerity of his apology. Furthermore, all of his advertisers have the right to pull their spots from his show -- that's the way the market should work.

However, misogyny seems to cross political lines, even though the degree of indignation does not. To wit:

More importantly, Mr. Limbaugh's comments have allowed his opponents to obfuscate the underlying issues; principles that deserve serious discussion by the electorate and politicians.

Just to be clear, the metaphor 'wall of separation' does not appear in the Constitution or 1st Amendment, rather it was first used by President Jefferson in his letter to the Danbury Baptists dated January 1, 1802. I think it's useful to quote directly from the letter

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

The Constitution and Jefferson's letter explicitly require the government to accomodate all religious beliefs because conscience is inalienable; given by God and not granted by men. Unfortunately Jefferson's metaphor fails to distinguish between 'separation' and 'non-establishment'; an ambiguity which has been the source of subsequent confusion and debate. Did the founders and do we really want to isolate religion from public life? Reading the founders, it clear that they did not think this. Moreover, many of the great social movements that have arisen from and been nurtured in the church including abolition and the civil rights movement. Our society would be much poorer without them.

I am not Catholic and admit to a certain sense of schadenfreude in light of the Catholic Church's position regarding Obamacare. However, their concerns regarding the insurance mandate are well-founded. The HHS mandate imposes an ethical point on view (i.e. restricts choice) and requires Catholic institutions to choose between violating their faith or face crushing fines for not providing insurance for their employees; an untenable infringement on their right to conscience. This in no way restricts anyone's ability to purchase contraceptive services. Likewise, employers don't provide their employees with food, transportation and other necessities of life; yet somehow their employees are able to access these services. The HHS mandate serves as a useful metaphor that the leviathan state naturally crowds out the private institutions of society. We can choose between big government and big freedom, including freedom of religion; we can not have both.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
You've missed the point; this thread is about Rush. You've also firmly established, repeatedly and ad nauseum, an ability to reiterate Republican party talking points. You assume positive intent on the part of that repeatedly demonstrated ignoramous and have the nerve to equate him with Bill Maher. Puh-lease.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Jazdoc, the simple question I have for you is: Do you believe in separation between church and state? This is a fundamental question that needs to be answered in any debate about many of the issues that the Republican party brings to the table.

As for Rush Limbaugh, his ignorance is more and more obvious the more he opines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing