What's with hockey and fighting?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You're right on all fronts Steve! The ACC still sells out for every game and probably will for the next 100 years. And the OTPP owns 66% of the MLSE. With them only caring about ROI (I think you're spot on), the chances of a Championship shot will be a long time coming, if ever. Maybe the Leafs needs to be bought out by one of those Russian/Arabic billionnaires who'll throw some money at the team. Better yet.......(are you listening Mr. Bettman) ...give us a franchise in Hamilton! The GTA with roughly a population of 6 million (if not more) can surely support an additional NHL franchise. We know of course this won't happen........it's all about protecting the status quo.

I've heard it is the Maple Leaf organization that is preventing expansion to Hamilton

BTW, speaking of fights in hockey, I do remember several years ago a player from the Canucks (IIRC) that hit another player with his stick and not only created great bodily harm but also ended the career of this player. A criminal and civil lawsuit followed IIRC

However as you say, the fights are part of the sport. It's the cheap shots that destroy the game and can cause severe physical trauma.

Lastly, I also remember way back in the 50's and 60's watching the game where the goalies never wore face masks. Too many times I remember Eddie Bower, Terry Sawchuck, Jacques Plante, Gump Worsely etc being hit in the faces by a blistering slap shot and sustaining major lacerations. They were taken off the ice and the game delayed until they were sewn up and sent back onto the ice. I remeber the pools of bloood around the goal creas only to be cleaned by the Zamboni

IIRC it was Jacques Plante who said enough is enough and was the first to wear a face mask

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've heard it is the Maple Leaf organization that is preventing expansion to Hamilton

BTW, speaking of fights in hockey, I do remember several years ago a player from the Canucks (IIRC) that hit another player with his stick and not only created great bodily harm but also ended the career of this player. A criminal and civil lawsuit followed IIRC

However as you say, the fights are part of the sport. It's the cheap shots that destroy the game and can cause severe physical trauma.

Lastly, I also remember way back in the 50's and 60's watching the game where the goalies never wore face masks. Too many times I remember Eddie Bower, Terry Sawchuck, Jacques Plante, Gump Worsely etc being hit in the faces by a blistering slap shot and sustaining major lacerations. They were taken off the ice and the game delayed until they were sewn up and sent back onto the ice. I remeber the pools of bloood around the goal creas only to be cleaned by the Zamboni

IIRC it was Jacques Plante who said enough is enough and was the first to wear a face mask

I see Eddie Bower quite regularly. He is the most unassuming and genuine person you could meet. What a class act! A genuine "mench".! Growing up in Montreal the "Gumpster" was my fave goalie, but no one had the butterfly spread of Terry Sawchuck. And then along came Ken Dryden. I still remember that amazing 1971 season!

I think that the equipment, which has advanced on so many levels, could be to blame for some of these cheap shots. It's almost like players are too well-protected and the oppostion thereby takes more liberties. It's an arguable point for sure.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
and then there's Dave Semenko protecting Wayne Gretzky during the Oilers dynasty.

I think fighting is good for hockey and hope it does not go away either. fans go crazy when players (honorably) drop their gloves to indicate willingness to engage in a fair fight. hockey players are trained to take body hits, but the cheap shots are the most dangerous and usually hurt players.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I remember when I was in Buffalo, Fox used a red flash thing to show the puck's movement. I think that caused a very big fight among the afficianados. In any case, The Sabres had a designated fighter, but I don't recall his name.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
In Oz we have plenty of "kockey" footballers: they're the ones that get into trouble, by not walking away from fights in nighclubs, etc ... :b:b

Frank

I remember when I lived in Sydney, I was walking through Annandale in the western suburbs (inner-city), when I saw a church's bulletin board had a message of hope for the Balmain Tigers (Ithink). I thought it hilarious, but unusual. I think the Aussies are among the most fanatical sports fans.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Soccer's fans are the deadliest of them all!

They're not fans.....they're hooligans and/or a group of drunks thinking that fighting elevates their masculinity.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Soccer's fans are the deadliest of them all!
No kidding. My partner is friends with one of the wealthiest families in Greek. We went there to visit them and naturally, they own a soccer team so they gave tickets to go and see the game that night. Wanting to be prepared, I went to the front desk to ask about the game. He told me they were the home team playing a team from another city. He then proceeds to say I must not wear anything green. Puzzled, I asked why. He said that was the color of the other team. I asked again why that was an issue. He said there were so many fights between the fans that they no longer allow the fans from the opposing team in the stadium! So if you wear their color, they won't let you in.

So I go to see the game. Half way through it, the fans on one side set a bunch of cardboard on fire and next thing you know, the whole one section of the stadium in in smoke and fire trucks arrive. But even they were too scared to get close! They stood there while the fire eventually put itself out. During that time the smoke was so thick you could not see the crazies that started it. Needless to say, we left at that point.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
*shakes head*

That's sad.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Remember the Broad Street Bullies from Philadelphia with Clarke their scorer and Davey Schultze the Enforcer

Just an after-thought to this old thread ... those rugged Flyers were the last team w/all Canadian players to win the Stanley Cup. I doubt that will ever happen again.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Hockey is Great

Put clubs in their hands & razor blades on their feet.
Hockey is Great. Real men play hockey. No standing in the middle of a lawn counting your $$$millions waiting for a ball to come your way.
zz.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://www.bluechat.io/list/top-10-best-hockey-players-of-all-time

I don't watch hockey anymore. I used to, big time...with my brothers and Dad, and my friends...Montreal Canadians Go!

Today is not the same...the good hockey years where they used to skate and show their real talent/prowess are behind us. ...In most general.
It's no longer a great sport, it's a contest of the fists and money. ...In most general.

Use the stick on the head of your teammates you're playing against is no sport. It's war, it's assassination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing