What's with hockey and fighting?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am not into Hockey but a game just came on as I was browsing the forum. I look up and see two of the players having a full on fist fight. How does the sport tolerate this? I have seen a bunch of movies where they show players going after each other this way but why does it still continue? What is the tradition that led to it being part of the sport this way?

Oh, as I just finished this post another fist fight broke out!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The Fans are twisted:D It's not the players;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Strong honor culture is my bet.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hockey has always had goon squads and enforcers. That’s why there is the old joke about I went to see a fight and a hockey game broke out.

Football is a little more subtle about it, but if you have read the news lately, you can see different football teams had “bounty” programs to pay players for injuring targeted key players on the opposing team. The Saints are under investigation and so are the Skins. If the NFL looked hard enough, they would probably find bounty programs on every team. Tony Dungee said he knew that the Titans had a bounty on Peyton Manning.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
They protect their star players and it could shift the game to their side.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Fights today are a lot less common than they were decades ago. The NHL has really tried to reduce fighting in the game, but it'll never go away. I hate to say it, but fighting (as a natural result of the intensity of the game) is part of Hockey. If one doesn't like it....move on to another sport. I'm much more concerned about cheap shots that players take, as that is much more damaging. Headhsots, flying elbows, back-checking, etc, are much more detrimental to the game and can cause serious injury. Fights don't cause injury as a rule. A black eye, a bloody face, maybe a broken bone and a bruised ego.....

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I predict that within the next 10 years and quite possibly 5, fighting will be banned.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
. I'm much more concerned about cheap shots that players take, as that is much more damaging. Headhsots, flying elbows, back-checking, etc, are much more detrimental to the game and can cause serious injury. Fights don't cause injury as a rule. A black eye, a bloody face, maybe a broken bone and a bruised ego.....

Can we say "Todd Bertuzzi"??

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Chris "Knuckles" Nilan!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I predict that within the next 10 years and quite possibly 5, fighting will be banned.

I hate to disagree with my fellow Progger, but that ain't gonna happen. You can't eliminate fighting from the game. Hockey, like no other game, is so physical and intense that fights are going to break out and you can't stop it. Quite frankly, I don't think the NHL front office and the fans would want that to disappear as it adds an element of suspense and excitement to the game. It sells tickets!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The head coach from the Toronto Maple Leafs (Wilson); was he fired because of fighting?
...Or not fighting enough? :b

He was fired due to public pressure. Was is fair? I don't know...I'll leave that to the experts to decide. Toronto is the most profitable hockey team and market in the NHL, yet the front office refuses to spend money on key players that could help the franchise. IMO the franchise needs a major shake-up!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
He was fired due to public pressure. Was is fair? I don't know...I'll leave that to the experts to decide. Toronto is the most profitable hockey team and market in the NHL, yet the front office refuses to spend money on key players that could help the franchise. IMO the franchise needs a major shake-up!

John

when I lived in Toronto, growing up was Hockey Night in Canada every Wed and Sat evening with Foster Hewitt and subsequently Bill Hewitt announcing on CKFH (Foster's station). What I recall is that "every" game had been sold out in Maple Leaf Garden since 1945 (or thereabouts). Not sure now with the new arena but I would bet the games are sold out there as well. My point is why would ownership invest money when it is already a cash cow. Isn't the team now owned by the Teachers' Union who I hear could care less. They only are interested in ROI

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John

when I lived in Toronto, growing up was Hockey Night in Canada every Wed and Sat evening with Foster Hewitt and subsequently Bill Hewitt announcing on CKFH (Foster's station). What I recall is that "every" game had been sold out in Maple Leaf Garden since 1945 (or thereabouts). Not sure now with the new arena but I would bet the games are sold out there as well. My point is why would ownership invest money when it is already a cash cow. Isn't the team now owned by the Teachers' Union who I hear could care less. They only are interested in ROI

You're right on all fronts Steve! The ACC still sells out for every game and probably will for the next 100 years. And the OTPP owns 66% of the MLSE. With them only caring about ROI (I think you're spot on), the chances of a Championship shot will be a long time coming, if ever. Maybe the Leafs needs to be bought out by one of those Russian/Arabic billionnaires who'll throw some money at the team. Better yet.......(are you listening Mr. Bettman) ...give us a franchise in Hamilton! The GTA with roughly a population of 6 million (if not more) can surely support an additional NHL franchise. We know of course this won't happen........it's all about protecting the status quo.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I went to a hockey fight, and suddenly a game broke out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing