Only In America-Girl With 6.7 GPA Faces Deportation

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Americans who think this kind of nonsense is the way to fight illegal immigration in this country are either stupid or just hiding their bigotry behind a legal issue. The real problem is with our businesses and our government. Businesses invited these people here by hiring them in huge numbers. Our government invited them here by looking the other way. Turn it around; it's easier to imagine now that we're not flush. Imagine Mexican retail stores are paying out of work Americans 100 grand a year to clerk, and while it is "illegal," their government is nodding and winking through the whole thing. Hundreds of Americans would be crossing that border every day.

The night we see the CEOs of meat processing companies and home builders doing the perp walk on the evening news will the beginning of the end of the flood of illegal immigration. Deporting old people and children instead of addressing the real, difficult problem is cowardice and deception.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Immigration laws are completely broken. Other countries like Canada have a scoring system where if a person meets certain points, meaning they are of value to the society, they are allowed to become a permanent resident. Here, we have antiquated laws that are used as tools for politicians to get elected. Anyone wanting to change it is sure to feel threatened at the next election because non-citizens can't vote so the people you are helping are not going to be able to help you get elected.

Take the L-1 visa program. If you come here and set up a business and invest ~$150K, you get one for you and your family. Once your children reach the age of 18 though, they lose their residency status and get kicked out of the country! This happens whether you are from UK or Uganda. So the poor children have to figure out how to get their own residency status after years of living and going to school here.

Back to the painful story you post, there was a TV program where a girl was being deported because she was engaged to an American soldier who had sadly been shot in combat and they had not yet married.

The courts have no choice but to enforce the law.

I suspect if her congressman/woman got engaged, this specific problem can be solved. Hopefully the publicity gets her there. The rules have to be bent as the sponsorship is for people who are in very rare situations of having specific skills (this is how researchers get it), I suspect it is doable. Hopefully it happens.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great to see the progress. My read of the tea leaves is that she is going to make it given the immigration statement.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Americans who think this kind of nonsense is the way to fight illegal immigration in this country are either stupid or just hiding their bigotry behind a legal issue. The real problem is with our businesses and our government. Businesses invited these people here by hiring them in huge numbers. Our government invited them here by looking the other way. Turn it around; it's easier to imagine now that we're not flush. Imagine Mexican retail stores are paying out of work Americans 100 grand a year to clerk, and while it is "illegal," their government is nodding and winking through the whole thing. Hundreds of Americans would be crossing that border every day.

The night we see the CEOs of meat processing companies and home builders doing the perp walk on the evening news will the beginning of the end of the flood of illegal immigration. Deporting old people and children instead of addressing the real, difficult problem is cowardice and deception.

Tim

+1 Tim.
I have a friend who knows a VERY hard working Mexican lady who has lived in the US for about 20+ years as an illegal. This lady works as a maid and she works 7 days a week and long hours and has done so for the past 20 years. She supports her whole family including her 2 children who were both born here. THis is a common story where I live in S.Calif....Here's how the story goes now:
This lady decides it would be nice to be able to one day a) retire and b) get health insurance and c) a drivers license ( she has never driven in this country as she is NOT allowed to get a driver's license....no proof of residency:( ). So for 20+ years she rides the bus.
Last year, the lady begins the legalization process, ( to those in the know....please say, OH NO!!)
Her son sponsors her for a green card and The INS tells her that she can ONLY apply for this from Mexico, so she leaves the US ( leaving her family behind including her 5 year old) and returns to Mexico. Can you guess the rest of the story:mad:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Tell me about it. They have nonsense policy that you are better off applying at a foreign US embassy to send *them* an application than you do from US. I once took a look at the US embassy page in London. The page for Americans is fine. But read the page for anyone wanting to apply to come to US and they make it sound like you are a low-life and you better not say hello to them or they would chop your nose off.

I just looked again and this is what it says if you just want to call them: http://london.usembassy.gov/visa_contact_information.html

"The Operator Assisted Visa Information and Nonimmigrant Appointment Booking Service is available at the following times:

• Monday - Friday : 8.00 a.m. until 9.00 p.m. GMT

• Saturdays : 09.00 a.m. until 4.00 p.m. GMT

Callers within the United Kingdom

Callers from within the United Kingdom should dial 09042-450-100. Calls to this line are charged at £1.23/min plus network extras. Callers from outside the U.K. and some mobile and network providers cannot access this number.

Callers from the United States

Callers from within the United States should dial 1-866-382-3589. Callers are charged a fixed rate of $16:00 which is payable by credit card - Visa, MasterCard, American Express only. Please ensure that you have your credit card details available when making the call and note that you will be required to provide the agent with a U.K. address when scheduling the appointment."

They charge $16/hour to talk to you even if you are calling from US (presumably you are a US citizen)? That is a welcoming thing.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You guys make great scientists. You take a single data point, unexamined and not critically evaluated, produced by a press release based on some kind of sympathy verdict, in order to generate policy concerning hundreds of thousands if not millions of unexamined data points.

I guess we just have to change policy and all the laws in order to make one person feel good about themselves. The tail wagging the dog?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You guys make great scientists. You take a single data point, unexamined and not critically evaluated, produced by a press release based on some kind of sympathy verdict, in order to generate policy concerning hundreds of thousands if not millions of unexamined data points.

I guess we just have to change policy and all the laws in order to make one person feel good about themselves. The tail wagging the dog?

No, we were presented with yet another example of how broken American immigration policy is, and it inspired a discussion of our views of the problem, which are based on many data points over much time. Very different.

Tim

MilkMan

Feb 9, 2012
I agree that the American immigration policy and the system is badly broken. Just look at the policies of several countries such as Canada, Australia and Sweden to name a few. But no, Americans must do things their way... it's led to a dysfunctional immigration policy, lousy health care system and don't get me started on the education system! Grrr...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I agree that the American immigration policy and the system is badly broken. Just look at the policies of several countries such as Canada, Australia and Sweden to name a few. But no, Americans must do things their way... it's led to a dysfunctional immigration policy, lousy health care system and don't get me started on the education system! Grrr...

Canada is in the procress of adjusting their Immigration policy to make it easier and hopefully better for anyone that wants to come here. They are adopting some of the Australian Immigration guidelines.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It is tough to compare different countries from their geographical and political circumstances.

The USA have their own set of issues; here in Canada we also have our own (believe me; on both political and immigration deceiving front of actions). And we are also a much smaller country.

Immigration Canada for example is using false advertising tricks in showing how immigrants are declared Canadian citizens. And right now the RCMP is investigating the so call Robocalls, from the last elections.

No country is perfect.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I feel sorry for this girl. It wasn't her fault that her parents broke the law and I don't know if she was kept from the knowledge of her true status. She will be lost in Columbia, not knowing how to even speak the language or read in that language.
I'm a bit conflicted about the immigration situation. On one hand, I believe that a nation is defined by borders, language and culture. On the other hand, I don't believe that an individual should suffer needlessly because of where they happened to be born. Anyone should be able to freely move to a better country to pursue success and opportunities.
The US immigration process is a sham. It should be a simple background check for criminal history, and then let them come in. My wife has spent thousands on immigration fees just to get her sister into the US. She's a month away from her visa interview, after all these years. Now I need only come up with the plane fare. But it was a long, arduous process. It should not have been.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
On one hand, I believe that a nation is defined by borders, language and culture.

I agree with the rest of your post, Mark, but the US has never been defined by language and culture. You could more realistically say it has been defined by a series of waves of immigration bringing new cultures and languages within our borders with almost every generation, and that our nation has assimilated, learned, and profited as much from the immigrants as they have from us. Immigrants are not an element of our population to be managed, they are who we are.

A couple of decades from now, we'll look back on this era with the same recognition of ignorance that now marks our view of the treatment of European immigrants to the US in the 19th and early 20th centuries. But not now. Now it is a hot political topic with no shortage of cynical politicians eager to stir hate and take advantage of anger during campaigns, then do absolutely nothing substantive about immigration policy once in office. Same as it ever was....

Tim

Last edited:

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Quite true, Tim. Immigration is a political hot topic and charged with emotion, not reason.
Interesting thought: our first few US presidents were not native-born Americans!
My statement about 'defining a nation' is generic. A nation without borders is isn't a nation. Culture tends to be a monolithic mix of all the cultures that have assimilated within. Language is a very important defining factor--you can't have people who can't communicate with one another operate effectively under the same commerce system.
America was built on immigration, and the early immigrants considered themselves, much as this girl does, Americans.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing