Bybee Bullets

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
After a year, and over 2000 posts on WBF, I have come to the conclusion that most audiophiles are so insecure in their beliefs that they want to pay $2,100. I've found the the most reasonable people here (like you, Don) actually play an instrument.

Realizing I'm giving Mark a golden opportunity to call me anti- audiophile here, I think it needs to be said that the particular breed of audiophile I suspect you're talking about is very justifiably insecure in their beliefs.

With that said, I'd also agree that most musicians, myself included, are not the best at listening for subtle differences, at least the stuff down at the artifact level. Many are really good, unsurprisingly, at listening for tonal fidelity.

Tim

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Tim,

I think you have gotten the point.
There is no truth for everyone.

In my opinion there is no chance to recreate the recorded event in your home. Because you can not buy the truth in a recording.
I try to create a sonic picture I like to hear. That is influenced by my very personal taste.

Musicians, I know several, do not agree with me and have completely different opinions how it should sound.

Because of this, I try to give no advice what somebody should buy.

For this test of the Bybees no cash was paid. The Bybees rested in a drawer for years. So there is no pressure to hear something. I never came to the idea to test them in the phonocable before I read this thread.

You are right too, that nobody is willing to explain how that device works. That is strange. Does it really work? I do not know.
There is a change in the sound. But it is possible that it caused by soldering or now cleaner contacts or other rounting of the cables.

I did an A/B test today.
I am quite sure that I am not able to win in a blindtest.

Andreas

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Realizing I'm giving Mark a golden opportunity to call me anti- audiophile here, I think it needs to be said that the particular breed of audiophile I suspect you're talking about is very justifiably insecure in their beliefs.

With that said, I'd also agree that most musicians, myself included, are not the best at listening for subtle differences, at least the stuff down at the artifact level. Many are really good, unsurprisingly, at listening for tonal fidelity.

Tim

No name calling Tim. Just as people can be insecure in their beliefs and look for others to provide affirmation for their purchasing decisions, I think that one can be over confident in your beliefs as well which can take you down the emperor with no clothes route. But as long as those people can look in the mirror and see themselves in an Armani suit, I guess it doesn’t matter.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
No name calling Tim. Just as people can be insecure in their beliefs and look for others to provide affirmation for their purchasing decisions, I think that one can be over confident in your beliefs as well which can take you down the emperor with no clothes route. But as long as those people can look in the mirror and see themselves in an Armani suit, I guess it doesn’t matter.

Never considered your "anti-audiophile" remarks name-calling, Mark. There's a fair amount of truth in them if you define "audiophile" narrowly enough.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't recall ever tyring to define what an audiophile is. If I did, I would tend to paint it with a big brush and not a small, narrow brush.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't recall ever tyring to define what an audiophile is. If I did, I would tend to paint it with a big brush and not a small, narrow brush.

I don't recall you ever doing that either, but for my part, I think "audiophile," even in just this small community, is a pretty diverse thing. A handful of narrow brushes, perhaps, dipped in different colors? Amir is an audiophile, I am an audiophile, Frantz is an audiophile, Vincent is an audiophile...then again so are Mike and Greg and Naturephoto and all the rest between the extremes.

Tim

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Tim

With all due respect, I have to disagree. Being an amateur musician in no way hinders my ability to critically listen for the most finite details. That's 1/3 ways to listen. For me I listen:
1) As a musician, listening to the chord and rhythm changes, musicians' interplay, harmonies, musicians' chops, etc.
2) As an audiophile - critical listening (you all know the common descriptors)
3) As a casual listener - 40,00 foot "view" if you will, just listening to the music, not the quality or the musicians' specifics, as enjoyable on my PC's monitors and my car as my main system.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
Tim,

I think you have gotten the point.
There is no truth for everyone.

In my opinion there is no chance to recreate the recorded event in your home. Because you can not buy the truth in a recording.
I try to create a sonic picture I like to hear. That is influenced by my very personal taste.

Musicians, I know several, do not agree with me and have completely different opinions how it should sound.

Because of this, I try to give no advice what somebody should buy.

For this test of the Bybees no cash was paid. The Bybees rested in a drawer for years. So there is no pressure to hear something. I never came to the idea to test them in the phonocable before I read this thread.

You are right too, that nobody is willing to explain how that device works. That is strange. Does it really work? I do not know.
There is a change in the sound. But it is possible that it caused by soldering or now cleaner contacts or other rounting of the cables.

I did an A/B test today.
I am quite sure that I am not able to win in a blindtest.

Andreas

Andreas, loved your post. You also summed up my thinking beautifully. I use bybees, but those of the original sort, not the ripoffs of today. I use them on the ICs and on the speaker cables. I like what they do, although I could not describe their effect in audiophile terms. They simply get me closer to the music. Perhaps it is my ears, perhaps all in the mind, but what do I care as long as I like it. IF IT A PLACEBO EFFECT, THEN IT HAS NOT WORN OFF FOR YEARS.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Gary,

I consider myself reasonable, and I am a total screw up when it comes to playing an instrument. I am planning a new fish tank so maybe that's where my reasonableness comes from :)

Can I use your signature? Pretty much sums up my philosophy when it comes to audio. :)

After a year, and over 2000 posts on WBF, I have come to the conclusion that most audiophiles are so insecure in their beliefs that they want to pay $2,100. I've found the the most reasonable people here (like you, Don) actually play an instrument.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
I sold my Bybee bullets and associated bybee stuffs and never looked back!
That Schumann resonator though... everything is SO much richer, deeper, and live-y-er!
Did I tell you all about my little 'resonating bowls'! I stuck one on top of each OB speaker and two on the back wall... lively-ness
Increase? 300 percent!
They are sauce dipping bowls from ikea... $2.99/4 pack.
I love having fun with this stuff!

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Happy man you are,
I have a Bybee AC cristal module connected on each amp. They are ugly and I'd like to put them off but each time I try I have to put them back in.
I have a big Torus transfo and when I installed it I thought I could sell the Bybees and have some money back. Fortunately, in MY system they work wonder.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
We are using the Bybee Bullets and Signal Enhancers. It is amazing what they do to improve sound quality.

We have had success in using the SE's on signals and in particular network cabling and routers. So far we don't like them on power cables and dac's. Must be THE best upgrade for the money ever. £120 each. Start with two and work from there. We have stock for free trial. Just PM me. They improve the sound in many ways and get better left in the same position over time.

The Bullets we are developing to go in special cases and will retail for around £2000 for a set of four. Again they take time to bed in and make a huge difference to PRAT. Bass is improved no end.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sort of like a tuna net that does not trap Dolphins.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I sold my Bybee bullets and associated bybee stuffs and never looked back!
That Schumann resonator though... everything is SO much richer, deeper, and live-y-er!
Did I tell you all about my little 'resonating bowls'! I stuck one on top of each OB speaker and two on the back wall... lively-ness
Increase? 300 percent!
They are sauce dipping bowls from ikea... $2.99/4 pack.
I love having fun with this stuff!

Curious, are the bowls made of copper? Ceramic or another material?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Andreas, loved your post. You also summed up my thinking beautifully. I use bybees, but those of the original sort, not the ripoffs of today. I use them on the ICs and on the speaker cables. I like what they do, although I could not describe their effect in audiophile terms. They simply get me closer to the music. Perhaps it is my ears, perhaps all in the mind, but what do I care as long as I like it. IF IT A PLACEBO EFFECT, THEN IT HAS NOT WORN OFF FOR YEARS.

I'm guilty of using bybee speaker bullets on my Nordost Odin to Wilson connection. I can't describe the effect either...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Simply,a noise reduction device. More clarity,closer to the music,nothing really magical,if you understand what it does.imho

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have no experience at all of the Bybee products but I have no reason to doubt the reviewer's conclusions.
In my post 869 on the Tripoint Troy thread I posted my experiences of a set of products from a small below the radar outfit here in the UK and derived from military technology.
Small and large blocks to go on cables or above cables inside sources, and some rectangular boxes to fit on speaker terminals.
Remarkably effective. Small blocks 10 for £1750 and cable filters £2.5k per pair.
No website I'm afraid but anybody in the UK who is seriously interested please PM me and I'll let you know how o get in touch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing