Review: The Nat King Cole Story LP; A Great Recording

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
Hi All,
Myles asked me to give my impressions of the “Nat King Cole Story” LP after I received it. Well, I have received and listened to it. It’s not often I get a chance to expound about a recording that is definitely a collectors item. Here we go.

First, you should check my profile to get a hint of my system and sonic priorities. I did all listening with my Lyra Skala cartridge on my Oracle Delphi V with an ET2.5 arm through an Aesthetix Rhea phono preamp. The cartridge is loaded with 100 ohms.

I first made mention of the “The Nat King Cole Story” CD’s in a thread where Golden Age Records were being discussed. I commented that the CD’s were a reissue in 1991 of the original LP’s released in 1961 and that the CD’s were reissued from recordings made in the Golden Age time frame. I used these CD’s as an example of how good a good CD could be. Ron Party agreed with me. I had never heard the original LP’s and wondered how good they were.

So, a shopping expedition into ebay revealed a set of the LP’s and I bought. They were not cheap at $80. Let the shoot out begin.

First, let’s look at my new to me LP’s from 1961. The set is in excellent condition, almost new. As with all my records, I washed them on my VPI 17 RCM and applied Last Record Preservative. They were in the original paper sleeves to be replaced with plastic.

All of these recordings cover the span of Nat's career but none are original. They have all been re-recorded with modern (in 1961) recording techniques. Included are a selection of his most famous pieces. Nat died, I believe in 1967. In 1961, when these recordings were made, he was still in prime voice. All of the arrangements duplicate the originals.

There are three records in the set. The sides are sequenced using changer numbering (1&6; 2&5; 3&6). My satisfaction with records starts with the quality of the vinyl. I have never been a fan of Capitol records because of their typical vinyl quality. These are not much better. Mediocre at best. There is a constant under lay of groove noise with these records. Definitely not audiophile quality. However, I did not find the noise to be disruptive at all because it was at a very low level and the music mostly masked it. The noise was not a result from use or wear. It was there from the beginning. Just not “A” quality vinyl. No significant warps. I was not unhappy.

On the other hand, noise from use (pops, scratches, etc.) was totally absent. This is good and more than one should expect when buying a used record much less three of them that are over 50 years old. The noise, in fact, sounded just like brand new Capitol’s. I was not unhappy.

To compensate for the noise was the sound; glorious sound. This is what the Golden Age sound is all about. There is not a hint of grain or harshness, just very smooth and natural sounds (all done with tube electronics). These records belong in the same high category of the famous “Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall” RCA recordings. They are just terrific. All of the aspects of Nat’s voice that I admire so much were there in spades. His tone, his voicing, his variable vocal texture, they are all there. Nat never sounded so good! It literally sounded as though he was standing in my room singing just to me. It was that personal, intimate and real. These records are Gold. I’m as pleased as punch.

Myles asked me to comment on the use of reverb. I don’t hear any at all except on one cut where it was used as an obvious special effect at the very end of the cut. Otherwise, nada. I also don’t hear any compression being used. The dynamic range is large and unobstructed. Again, very natural.

I do not hear many hints about the venue which my system would pick up in a microsecond. I think the recording was made in a highly damped recording studio and there was no miking to get that information. Actually, it sounds very much like moderately sized jazz club filled with people. Occasionally, the strings sound a bit stressed when they go really loud. I have heard this effect when tape recorders are driven up to maybe +10 dB, up into the distortion region. But most of the time the instruments are great. There is not a lot of bass. This is due to artistic decisions.

All in all, it is obvious this recording is a labor of love by all concerned.

Now, to the CD’s. Everything I said about the LP’s applies to the CD’s. There is just less of it. I get a sense that the texture of Nat’s voice is a bit emphasized with the CD which is not necessarily a bad thing; just not as natural. There also seems to be less dynamic contrast. The CD sound is a bit more stressed, again, not as natural. And while the LP’s do not exhibit much sound stage depth, the CD’s exhibit even less. The velvety smoothness of Nat’s voice seems to take on a slight edge that is not evident with the LP’s.

So if I were in the market for these recordings, which way would I jump? LP’s or CD’s. I do not have to make this choice since I now have both. For you, the CD’s almost get it right. Close enough for bliss. That’s how I would advise. Of course, if you want increase the collector value of my LP’s, buy those. I would not object. The other factor is the LP’s are expensive and not common.

But the LP’s are very special.

Thanks, Sparky

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing