Point & shoot

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
will be travelling again in 2 weeks and looking for a good all around point and shoot camera.

what are the good candidates?

is a used Leica DLux 4 for $500 still worth pursuing these days?

TIA

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Digital Cameras are in a way comparable with Computers, great when new but the next generation is better and cheaper (or identical from price).
With those pocket cameras the internal software is the key. Canon IXUS is really good, the Leicas have the problem, the company is too small to develop their own electronics and you can get the same from Panasonic. Ken Rockwell has good information about these little cameras. I would choose Canon.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I highly recommend the Canon S100. It is the biggest chip in the smallest package available. I walked around with it in my jeans pocket in Buenos Aires recently. Image quality is excellent, untouched IMO for a camera its size. Movie quality shockingly good too. And the UI/controls are really good for something its size, you have a lot of control.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I highly recommend the Canon S100. It is the biggest chip in the smallest package available. I walked around with it in my jeans pocket in Buenos Aires recently. Image quality is excellent, untouched IMO for a camera its size. Movie quality shockingly good too. And the UI/controls are really good for something its size, you have a lot of control.

I completely agree. I took mine to the Middle East several months ago and took almost 1100 pictures all of which were magnificent. I have the S 95. The S100 replaced it and is better still the Canon G1X IMO is too big and heavy and doesn't fit in your pocket

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Got a Nikon Coolpix S222 at Goodwill for $7, battery charger on ebay for $3.95. It is a pretty remarkable vest pocket camera, and has image stabilization. I guess most people use their cell phones for photography these days.
Doesn't matter how good the camera is if you don't actually take pictures with it, the small Coolpix also takes a decent telephoto shot down the barrel of a binocular as well and is so small and convenient that it becomes like a inconspicuous appendage. Front lit flash in shadow shots or my wife and dog are incredibly good.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
5 times optical zoom for the Canon S100, thanks Steve.

* Any of you guys here who likes optical zoom power of 10X or more?
...From a compact camera of course.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Ding,

I'm guessing you want something compact but also durable. It's a vacation camera after all. Now I know you do everything from Ice Fishing to lots of tropical destinations. I would recommend the Lumix DMC TS3. I'm a Nikon guy but this camera beat the living daylights out of the Nikon's similarly priced all weather camera. It would give a lot of non-ruggedized pocket cameras a run for their money as well. In any case you've still got your Canon DSLR and all your lenses. I think this camera will not leave you very disappointed at all. It will capture many a moment well enough, even low light ones. :)

Jack

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm also a Panasonic compact camera type of guy myself. All my family is as well.
They are very good, with models at all price points, and all the features you want.
Check them out, and the reviews too. :b

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
Hi Ding,

I'm guessing you want something compact but also durable. It's a vacation camera after all. Now I know you do everything from Ice Fishing to lots of tropical destinations. I would recommend the Lumix DMC TS3. I'm a Nikon guy but this camera beat the living daylights out of the Nikon's similarly priced all weather camera. It would give a lot of non-ruggedized pocket cameras a run for their money as well. In any case you've still got your Canon DSLR and all your lenses. I think this camera will not leave you very disappointed at all. It will capture many a moment well enough, even low light ones. :)

Jack
I also own a TS3 and have been very pleased. It's underwater performance is exceptional and it has very good metering for a P&S (underwater housing available if you want to go deeper than 40ft). HD video quality is on par or better than my friend's FlipHD (the flash can act as a continual light for video). The ruggedized / waterproof cameras seem to be about a generation behind the higher end P&S cameras in terms of technology. This is a worthwhile trade off for me given my travel style. My only minor nitpick is that it doesn't take standard AA batteries... this may be a problem if you're in a remote area or country with a dead Panasonic battery (plus you need to haul the charger around). IMO hauling extra gear defeats the purpose of a P&S camera.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing