Should I buy a Sonoma dsd system?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I hope Bruce can advise me

I want to play sacds from my computer, with the same quality as the studios.
What will I need?
I think a Sonoma sound card installed in a 4U size computer is necessary.
This desk top type pc would have a hard drive installed.
Then I would need some dsd dac.
Do I need to buy a mps5 sacd player also so that I can rip sacds into the hard drives?

Basically this will give me same quality or better than optical sacds?

Later can I burn dsd data onto DVD-R discs or BD-R discs, and playback on my xds1 and mps5 (if I buy it also)?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
First, you will never be allowed to play a SACD from a computer. You can play the DSD file that is on the disc from your computer though from your hard drive.

I have a Sonoma card in a 2-slot Magma chassis that sits under my laptop. Nice and portable. It's connected to the laptop via Express34 card.
Yes, you can also install the Sonoma card in a desktop type PC, but you have to make sure the bay is long enough since the card is about 12" long.
The only DAC's that you can use from a Sonoma card are the Playback Designs MPS/D-5, The EMM Labs DAC8IV or the Mytek 8x192ADDA with the ST-optical card interface.
You will need a transport if you want to transfer the DSD information from the SACD. This would be either the Playback Designs MPS-5 or an EMM Labs CDSD. Either will work. The advantage of the Playback Designs is it also can be used as a DAC.
You will need the Korg AudioGate software if you want to burn DSD image discs on a DVD-R. These discs will work in quite a few players. Unfortunately they won't work in the PD or the XDS-1.
One of the advantages of using the Sonoma is that you can transfer the MC files off the SACD.
The cheap way is to rip the SACD information on a PS3. There is a tutorial on the Audio Circle website.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Hello Bruce

Wow. Thanks for these information.

May I ask further questions?

Gus Skinas will not configure a laptop based system for his clients.
He mentioned that only certain laptops with the 3 slot 32bit PCI Magma Chassis can be used.
And those laptops need to be fully compatible with Express cards from Magma.
He also mentioned that there have been some compatibility problems between certain PC's and the Magma.

Question is - what sort of laptop are you using right now?

Question - And what sort of brand and model of laptop, and features/specs would you recommend?

Question - Have you encountered any compatibility issues so far between your laptop and Sonoma?

Question - are there sonic differences between the original sacd discs (played via MPS5) and dsd files (playback via the Sonoma system into the MPS5's dac)

Question - Can the Sonoma software on the laptop create a playlist?

Question - what kind of storage capacity is required to store, let's say 3000 sacd disc worth of content?

Question - if I want to do a recording, must I get the EMM lab ad converter?

Question - are there any sonic differences between dsd content burnt on a DVD-R, and factory made sacd check discs(DVD-R) and commercially pressed sacd discs?

Question - is your blu-ray burner able to burn dsd image onto a DVD-R disc, creating, essentially blu-spec'd sacd discs?

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with too many questions!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Where to start??

The laptop I use is a 15" Toshiba Tecra Business laptop. It came with Win XP Pro installed. The cpu is an i5, 4GB memory and a 7.2k HDD with nVIDIA Quadro graphics.

The Magma chassis I use is this one: MAGMA

There have been ZERO issues with compatibility. Guess I just jinxed myself now.

There is a slight difference between SACD's played in the PD MPS-5 and just using a DSD DAC with Sonoma. I contribute this to the filters that are being used in each.

Sonoma can not create a playlist. The way I use it at shows is to put a bunch of songs into one EDL and let it keep playing or you can skip around on the timeline.

A "normal" 2-channel SACD is around 1.2GB, so 3000 discs is about 4TB

If you want to record with the Sonoma, yes you'll need an A-D. We use the Grimm AD-1 and the EMM Labs ADC8IV. One Sonoma card will record up to 8 channels.

I can't answer about the disc comparison, but they should be the same.

Yes, you can burn Blu-ray spec discs using the burner.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Hi Bruce

Thanks, I really appreciate all these information.
Now I need to get a friend here to advise me on all the required computer hardware.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here's a photo of the unit we use.

Attachments

• Sonoma..jpg
    Sonoma..jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 581

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Shoown......, salivate......., faint....., with delight!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing