New Ikeda 9TT stereo cartridge

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
I just received my new Ikeda 9TT cartridge and I'm really impressed so far. It is very three-dimensional and dynamic. It is more open and airy and 3D than my Shilabe. It also tracks better. I can only assume it will continue to improve as I have very few hours on it now.
It will retail for $3600.
I will be showing it, as well as the Ikeda 407 tonearm at the upcoming Axpona show in Jacksonville in the Omni Ballroom Salon B.

Attachments

• ikeda 9TT cartrid&#.jpg
    ikeda 9TT cartrid&#.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,488
  • The Emperor..jpg
    The Emperor..jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3,596
  • ikeda 9TT..jpg
    ikeda 9TT..jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,462
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just received my new Ikeda 9TT cartridge and I'm really impressed so far. It is very three-dimensional and dynamic. It is more open and airy and 3D than my Shilabe. It also tracks better. I can only assume it will continue to improve as I have very few hours on it now.
It will retail for $3600.
I will be showing it, as well as the Ikeda 407 tonearm at the upcoming Axpona show in Jacksonville in the Omni Ballroom Salon B.

Is it as heavy as the old Ikedas? Also what is the 9TT's compliance?

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Is it as heavy as the old Ikedas? Also what is the 9TT's compliance?

It's 32 grams in it's headshell. 10.5 grams alone. So a tiny bit lighter than the some of the other 9 series carts. Compliance is about 6 x 10-6 cm/Dyne.

decca4

Mar 12, 2012
Sweden
Very interesting Bill,

I have a IKEDA Rex Kiwami that I bought last year. I am extremely pleased with this one in particular for its ability to express tonal nuances and texture. As you say the dynamics are excellent. The most important thing is the way it combines musicality with precision and clarity. Surprisingly it sounds very much like my refurbished Decca SC4E (with a Paratracer needle and new softer cantilever). The Decca is better low down but falls slightly short when it comes to subtle tonal expression.

Do you know how the IKEDA TT is different from the one I have. It is extremely difficult to find info on these cartridges. The data on Vinyl Engine seem to list more or less the same data for all models. I have also tried a 9V which sound wise is similar to the Kiwami but with less energy and precision. The 9V seems to like a 3 Ohm load wile the Kiwami prefers a 2 Ohm load. What step up do you use?

Stefan

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Very interesting Bill,

I have a IKEDA Rex Kiwami that I bought last year. I am extremely pleased with this one in particular for its ability to express tonal nuances and texture. As you say the dynamics are excellent. The most important thing is the way it combines musicality with precision and clarity. Surprisingly it sounds very much like my refurbished Decca SC4E (with a Paratracer needle and new softer cantilever). The Decca is better low down but falls slightly short when it comes to subtle tonal expression.

Do you know how the IKEDA TT is different from the one I have. It is extremely difficult to find info on these cartridges. The data on Vinyl Engine seem to list more or less the same data for all models. I have also tried a 9V which sound wise is similar to the Kiwami but with less energy and precision. The 9V seems to like a 3 Ohm load wile the Kiwami prefers a 2 Ohm load. What step up do you use?

Stefan

The 9REX Kiwame was produced quite some time ago, for export only. Did you get it used?
It was discontinued because it wasn't up to the sonic character of the 9REX. The 9REX is now discontinued as well. The 9TT does have a short cantilever and is thus a bit easier to "dial" in than the cantileverless 9REX and 9MUSA.
The 9MUSA is still available on a special-order basis for $6500. The 9TT will initially retail for $3600. in the US but will likely go up to $3800. by summer.
I use a step-up made by TubeGuru from Hungary that is made specifically for the low-impedance 9TT. It retails for $1400.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have the Ikeda tonearm in my short list of possible upgrades, but I was not aware of their cartridge line, I am sure they are an interesting option as well - based on your description it does pairs with the sound of a Miyabi or Air Tight cartridges, do you agree?

decca4

Mar 12, 2012
Sweden
The 9REX Kiwame was produced quite some time ago, for export only. Did you get it used?
It was discontinued because it wasn't up to the sonic character of the 9REX. The 9REX is now discontinued as well. The 9TT does have a short cantilever and is thus a bit easier to "dial" in than the cantileverless 9REX and 9MUSA.

Hi Bill and tanks for your response.

I bougt a new REX KIWAMI from Juki in Hong Kong. The first sample did not work as intended and Juki replaced it very fairly. A friend of mine bought one a few month earlier and that one sounds slightly different from mine. Do you know in what way the KIWAMI was different in sonic character from the REX?

Looking at the Ikeda TT it has a cantilever which none of the previous cartridges made by Mr Ikeda under the IKEDA brand had. There was a point with this as Mr Ikeda managed to make a moving coil without cantilever and for a god reason. Is the Ikeda TT designed by Mr Ikeda and is it made by him personally as all the other Ikeda cartridges?

Thanks for your attention

Stefan

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Hi Bill and tanks for your response.

I bougt a new REX KIWAMI from Juki in Hong Kong. The first sample did not work as intended and Juki replaced it very fairly. A friend of mine bought one a few month earlier and that one sounds slightly different from mine. Do you know in what way the KIWAMI was different in sonic character from the REX?

Looking at the Ikeda TT it has a cantilever which none of the previous cartridges made by Mr Ikeda under the IKEDA brand had. There was a point with this as Mr Ikeda managed to make a moving coil without cantilever and for a god reason. Is the Ikeda TT designed by Mr Ikeda and is it made by him personally as all the other Ikeda cartridges?

Thanks for your attention

Stefan

9TT has a cantilever. It preserves the Ikeda magic in a cartridge that is easier to align and has a bit more lifetime. I don't know exactly how the Kiwame and 9REX differed with regard to sound. The integrated headshell was deemed a superior performer.
Mr. Ikeda has taken a step back from the company as he is 86 years old. He did have his hand in the overall design of the cartridge. IT Technologies has been making the products for Mr. Ikeda since the formation of the company, so the products will continue to live on even when Mr. Ikeda is no longer with us. The same can not be said for another famous Japanese cartridge maker.
Furthermore, the ebay fellow that is selling Ikeda products and many other brands as well is most definitely not an authorized dealer nor affiliated with Ikeda in any way, so the difference that you heard between cartridges is not surprising as anything is possible-"knock-offs", grey market--buyer beware etc. Beauty Of Sound is the only authorized Ikeda re-seller in North America.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
I have the Ikeda tonearm in my short list of possible upgrades, but I was not aware of their cartridge line, I am sure they are an interesting option as well - based on your description it does pairs with the sound of a Miyabi or Air Tight cartridges, do you agree?

Sorry Flez, missed your post. Both cartridges will be fine on the Ikeda 407. Resonant frequency will be in the 8.5hz area with the Miyabi and 8hz or so with the Air Tight. Rumble and record warps don't happen until below 5hz. What table do you have?

_Tom_

Apr 22, 2012
Germany / near Koblenz
Hi Bill!

Congratulation to your new Ikeda cartridge, I hope you will be still glad with!
Nice to see that Ikeda continues
I'm very surprised that the new Ikeda carts now have a cantilever.

I'm owner of two rare older Ikeda - cartridges without cantilver and I love them much: 9CII and 9CV and I also use an older Ikeda tonearm, an IT245 who is very seldom.
In the last years I've only seen two of them. It must be one of the first new products after fidelity research was failed.
This classic combi plays so well, that I doesn't think that they are more than 20 years old now.
The Ikeda cartridge are few of the less carts who let music breath an give them a special reality in a way no other cartridges able to do.

So far so gut, but now I have a question: Is mr Ikeda still with us. I heard that he died in 2010. Please don't missunderstood me, I would be glad if you can say that he's still living.
You told us that his company is still continu, who is nowadays the director or the chief developer of this company?

PS. In my Avatar you see the stylus of an Ikeda 9CII. He is placed direct on the coils!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I first heard an Ikeda at Jeff Rowland's back in the day. It was very a-live sounding. Fast forward to today... Bill Demars will be installing the Ikeda arm and cartridge on the $150,000 Onedof table (one degree of freedom) within a week or so and we'll capture it on video. See Bill on the Axpona vids posted today at http://www.avshowrooms.com

tubes4life

Apr 25, 2012
I'm surprised to learn that now Ikeda has a cartridge offer with cantilever. I wonder how it will stack up with the various generations of cantileverless Ikedas and also with his own previous designs with cantilevers such as the Fidelity Research FR-7f head or the FR-1 MkIII cartridge.

I always thought the Kiwami was the "ultimate" version of the 9Rex and was intended for the domestic Japaneses market. The Japanese/Chinese character on the body of the Kiwami version literally means ultimate or summit.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Mr. Ikeda is still with us. He is I believe 86 yrs. old and taking a bit of a step back from all the hard word of r&d. The company is fortunately still thriving under IT Industries in Tokyo which has been making the carts and arms for the past several years.
Having only heard the 9MUSA briefly, much attention has gone into making the 9TT the dynamic, nuanced and three-dimensional performer of it's cantilverless brothers.

Hi Bill!

Congratulation to your new Ikeda cartridge, I hope you will be still glad with!
Nice to see that Ikeda continues
I'm very surprised that the new Ikeda carts now have a cantilever.

I'm owner of two rare older Ikeda - cartridges without cantilver and I love them much: 9CII and 9CV and I also use an older Ikeda tonearm, an IT245 who is very seldom.
In the last years I've only seen two of them. It must be one of the first new products after fidelity research was failed.
This classic combi plays so well, that I doesn't think that they are more than 20 years old now.
The Ikeda cartridge are few of the less carts who let music breath an give them a special reality in a way no other cartridges able to do.

So far so gut, but now I have a question: Is mr Ikeda still with us. I heard that he died in 2010. Please don't missunderstood me, I would be glad if you can say that he's still living.
You told us that his company is still continu, who is nowadays the director or the chief developer of this company?

PS. In my Avatar you see the stylus of an Ikeda 9CII. He is placed direct on the coils!

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
I can second that the 9TT is a GREAT sounding cartridge. Have heard it a number of times (including yesterday) at Bill's.

If I were into phono (which I'm not - too many "other" sources), I'd get it in an instant.

Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing