Tips requested to remove (earth) hum in my system.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am getting some residual hum comming out from both a RtR deck and turntable that share a common preamp - I already had a ground wire from the Technics 1500 to my previous tape preamp to solve this, but now it is more audible thru my new preamp.

I will try re-routing cables and place this preamp in different positions to try to solve it, any other tips you all think I should try? (I have all Sunday to fix it) :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Fernando-Have you tried running a ground wire from your preamp ground back to the the screw that holds the wall plate on your ac recepticle?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando-Have you tried running a ground wire from your preamp ground back to the the screw that holds the wall plate on your ac recepticle?

Nop..will try that, thanks mep!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am getting some residual hum comming out from both a RtR deck and turntable that share a common preamp - I already had a ground wire from the Technics 1500 to my previous tape preamp to solve this, but now it is more audible thru my new preamp.

I will try re-routing cables and place this preamp in different positions to try to solve it, any other tips you all think I should try? (I have all Sunday to fix it) :)

Hum usually implies a ground loop; star-grounding goes a long way (all components plugged into the same strip that actually implements star grounding), as does making sure there is actually good ground contact on all components' IEC receptacles; to a lesser degree, a good idea to run shielded power cords to and around sensitive components.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
If you have a cable box in there somewhere also check the outside ground spike connection. I had maintenance done and the tech for some reason disconnected the ground wire from the splitter to the spike. All was fixed when I reconnected the ground. Like the others have said star grounding to a real hard ground can work wonders.

Rob:)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I picked up on Roger's take on grounding by buying a piece of copper buss bar, drilling and tapping some holes, and then running all grounds to the buss bar with one wire from the buss bar going to the screw on the outlet where the preamp is plugged in.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Fernando:

If your hum-fest started with addition of the KC preamp, I would suggest you try to lift the ground of KC's power supply by use of a cheater plug. You might find you also need to do the same to your preamp.

Ki

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Fernando:

If your hum-fest started with addition of the KC preamp, I would suggest you try to lift the ground of KC's power supply by use of a cheater plug. You might find you also need to do the same to your preamp.

Ki

It does Ki, actually, floating the earth plug is my number 1 test, problem is that I am listening to the Mach2/Stello/Havana setup and can't get started :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Be careful about lifting ground; see the following article on ground loops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29

Low current wiring is particularly susceptible to ground loops. If two pieces of audio equipment are plugged into different power outlets, there will often be a difference in their respective ground potentials. If a signal is passed from one to the other via an audio connection with the ground wire intact, this potential difference causes a spurious current through the cables, creating an audible buzz at the AC mains base frequency (50 or 60 Hz) and the harmonics thereof (120 Hz, 240 Hz, and so on), called mains hum. Sometimes, performers remove the grounding pin from the cord connecting an appliance to the power outlet; however, this creates an electrocution risk. The first solution is to ensure that all metal chassis are interconnected, then connected to the electrical distribution system at one point (often referred to as a "single-point ground"). The next solution is to have shielded cables for the low currents, with the shield connected only at one end (this, however, increases the possibility of radio frequency interference (RF) since the shield may act as an antenna).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks all for your feedback, Looks it is a defective part in the preamp that will be shortly replaced :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing