Who is your favorite audio reviewer/writer

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I have been following Anthony Cordesman and Dick Olsher for awhile. I would check out gear that they recommend.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Fremer is good for me as far as recommendations.

I like the prose of Chip Stern and Corey Greenburg. Cracks me up!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Michael Lavorgna is my favorite.

Fremer is helpful. At least you have an idea of what the equipment sounds like after reading his reviews.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Michael Lavorgna is my favorite.

Fremer is helpful. At least you have an idea of what the equipment sounds like after reading his reviews.

I agree...I also like Neil Gader and Wayne Garcia.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I enjoy Anthony Cordesman and Jacob Heilbrunn writings. HP in the good old days.

More for their comments about sound reproduction, writing style and large knowledge about the high-end than by the reviews themselves.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I also miss reading articles from Cory Greenburg. I've also enjoyed reading the very descriptive reviews from Bob Neil.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have been following Anthony Cordesman and Dick Olsher for awhile. I would check out gear that they recommend.

I have great respect for Anthony Cordesman and I’m glad he got away from that cookie-cutter style of reviewing gear that he was into for awhile. Dick Olsher drives me nuts though. He has NEVER reviewed a piece of tube gear that he likes until he swaps out the tubes they come with and he rolls in his own stash of NOS uber tubes.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Harry Pearson & J gordon Holt. I always appreciated John Atkinson and martin colloms for their objectiveness. Ken Kessler, Sam telig and Corey Greenberg for making me laugh. lastly, Art Dudley especially for the best little hifi mag there ever was, listener magazine.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I have great respect for Anthony Cordesman and I’m glad he got away from that cookie-cutter style of reviewing gear that he was into for awhile. Dick Olsher drives me nuts though. He has NEVER reviewed a piece of tube gear that he likes until he swaps out the tubes they come with and he rolls in his own stash of NOS uber tubes.
LOL. That is why I like him. I am a tube rolling fan boy.:) Oh, I have to add Jonathan Scull and Sam Tellig (for his insistence on less expensive gear)

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Dudley. Excellent ears, good taste, critical perception.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Who is my favorite audio writer/reviewer? Wow, I enjoy reading several of them.

Among some of the ones already mentioned here by few members, and from Hi>Fi+:
Roy Gregory, Paul Messenger, Alan Sircon, Martin Colloms, Dave Davies, Alvin Gold, Jimmy Hughes, ..

And others from Stereophile:
John Atkinson, Sam Tellig, Michael Fremer, Wes Phillips, Art Dudley, Robert Deutsch, Larry Greenhill, Ken Kessler, Brian Damkroger, Shannon Dickson, Robert J. Reina, Kalman Rubinson, John Iverson, Thomas J. Norton, Lonnie Brownell, Fred Kaplan, Robert Baird, ...

And others from The Absolute Sound:
Harry Pearson, Robert Harley, Jonathan Valin, Neil Gader, Anthony H. Cordesman, Wayne Garcia, Robert E. Greene, Chris Martens, Paul Seydor, Alan Taffel, ...

And others too from The Inner Ear Report, and UHF - Ultra High Fidelity, and other French magazines from Quebec, Canada, France, and others from the UK, Germany, Spain, England, Italy, and Brazil, and others too from all across the globe.

Only one favorite? No, a combination of all my favorites ... :b

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Quite a few of mine are on this forum. Of those that aren't, I enjoy reading Dudley, Garcia and Hongo.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Bruce did mention Chip Stern; he's another good one.

And did I mention Myles B. Astor? :b

Yes indeed, we must forget Mr. Astor.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I read them all...voraciously when it comes to a product i am interested in. I try to ignore their conclusions...and watch really, really carefully for their specific use of language around the sound. Oftentimes, the conclusions are different, but their micro-observations can often be more similar than not. No matter how many people love the Zanden digital set and there was 1 that did not...every single group noted the bass being more timid than others (Orpheus Heritage DAC, Stahl-Tek Vekian). it was very notable if one reads thru each line.

As a result, i have found i learn from all of the majors.

However, as to personal interaction, i found i have been fortunate to have personal experience meeting, speaking with or getting personal advice from the following for which i am truly grateful (in alphabetical): Myles Astor, Martin Colloms, Jeff Fritz and Roy Gregory. I have a deep amount of respect for each of them, as 'off the record', they have been open, honest in their assessments and advice. They have personal tastes (we all do)...but they have conviction and the experience to back it up.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The best story I have ever heard concerning a reviewer was from my friend Gary, here in Marin. He was the first importer of Graaf Audio. He lent a GM200 to a writer from (now defunct) FI magazine. The reviewer had the amp for 6 months (not so long if you go by the Harry Pearson law). The writer told Gary it was by far the best amp he has ever listened to, and beautiful. The reviewer then asked Gary, if he would like to purchase the $5K ad or something similar!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I read them all...voraciously when it comes to a product i am interested in. I try to ignore their conclusions...and watch really, really carefully for their specific use of language around the sound. Oftentimes, the conclusions are different, but their micro-observations can often be more similar than not. (...)

Similar here. Should we call it positive informational reading of hifi reviews? :)

I have found that in order to get any useful information about a subjective review you have to know the preferences of the reviewer, something that needs time and a some knowledge of his previous articles.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
favorite to read or similar taste?

Fremer and I like similar sound. on the opposite side of the spectrum are Harley/Valin---so i skim their articles only.

Olsher and Dudley are entertaining reads, but not quite into their sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing