Bit Perfect Audio

jriver

Feb 10, 2012
I thought it would be better to open this topic rather than reply to someone who said, in essence, that the bit perfect output of another player, Jplay, sounded better than the bit perfect output of our player, JRiver Media Center.

This has been discussed at length on several boards. If you have the patience, you could read these:

Jplay on HydrogenAudio:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=92856

Some credible testing of JPlay and JRiver differences:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/JRiver-vs-JPLAY-Test-Results

There are no differences if two players are set the same. The claims that Jplay manages memory better have been shown to be untrue.

In the face of hard evidence, there are still a few people who claim they can hear a difference. I have no doubt that they believe it. But unless these tests are blind, they are subjective opinion, and nothing more.

JRiver agrees with Peter, the author of foobar, that there is no difference between two players that are set up properly and using the same ASIO or WASAPI interface.

Bit perfect means just that. Suggesting that it can be improved by "special" software is misleading at best.

Converting those bits to analog is a different story, and once in the analog domain a lot of things matter in producing high quality sound.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Jim...

It isn't necessarily about the memory. Jplay...pushed to its limits, simply turns off more services and leaves a person with more of a transport, and less of a computer than your software does. I own both, I use both, I have a very resolute system that I am intimately familiar with. It does not take a leap of faith to hear the differences. You have been on a crusade lately, and I'm not quite sure why. No one is crapping on your product. It sports an excellent GUI, far better than JPlay. It has excellent sound. It is less than half the price of Jplay. At what point did you become butt-hurt regarding Jplay's product? It doesn't look good on you from a consumer standpoint. I'd suggest you put down your lab coat and do a bit more listening. It would do you some good.

Over and out...

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
ASIO w/JRMC 17 (using my Meitner DAC's downloaded drivers)

KS w/Jplay Mini

jriver

Feb 10, 2012
ASIO w/JRMC 17 (using my Meitner DAC's downloaded drivers)

KS w/Jplay Mini

For testing purposes, uninstall Jplay. It has caused problems, including crashes.

Are there any other sound problems with JRiver using your ASIO driver?

ASIO is good. ASIO4all is Kernel Streaming with an ASIO style wrapper.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Jim,

It is the true ASIO drivers. I haven't had any crashing issues with your software....and I have it on two different computers. In fact it sounds better on the audio-only dedicated PC that also has JPlay loaded on it. I had JRMC16 & 17 loaded onto each computer before I ever tried JPlay and I haven't ever detected any detriment with or without JPlay downloaded.

Bob

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
This borders on disturbing, as does every other thread in every other forum that JRiver has blasted those guys in. Their credibility is toast for me and most of the guys I know. There is so much wrong with this I am not even sure where to start. A/B test? Huh...why!!?? Most of the guys here are experienced audiophiles, many that know more than you. We know what we hear and what we like/don't like. For many, we do not need to understand all the ins and outs of how it works. If it sounds great, it fits the profile. Hell, even if we did need to know all the details of how stuff worked, we couldn't....and sorry, nor can you. We might know some, but not all....and if something fell outside of that some we know, it does not mean it doesn't exist....it means we don't understand it. You clearly do not have the knowledge base to understand why JPlay sounds better than your software. There is no shame in that! If it matters so much then study up rather than tell everyone it's BS because it falls outside of your wisdom.

What I do not understand is why you would bounce in all these forums and blast rather than take that time and energy to really experiment with the software and study up on how it is able to produce better sound than JRiver...if it matters that much to you which it seems to. The idea of suggesting folks do blind testing just seems a little extreme. I don't hear this suggested in the amplifier forums or any of the others for that matter. I don't hear it suggested when guys are trying to choose between digital devices etc.

Bits are bits? 1's and 0's? Have we not evolved from this?!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This borders on disturbing, as does every other thread in every other forum that JRiver has blasted those guys in. Their credibility is toast for me and most of the guys I know. There is so much wrong with this I am not even sure where to start. A/B test? Huh...why!!?? Most of the guys here are experienced audiophiles, many that know more than you. We know what we hear and what we like/don't like. For many, we do not need to understand all the ins and outs of how it works. If it sounds great, it fits the profile. Hell, even if we did need to know all the details of how stuff worked, we couldn't....and sorry, nor can you. We might know some, but not all....and if something fell outside of that some we know, it does not mean it doesn't exist....it means we don't understand it. You clearly do not have the knowledge base to understand why JPlay sounds better than your software. There is no shame in that! If it matters so much then study up rather than tell everyone it's BS because it falls outside of your wisdom.

What I do not understand is why you would bounce in all these forums and blast rather than take that time and energy to really experiment with the software and study up on how it is able to produce better sound than JRiver...if it matters that much to you which it seems to. The idea of suggesting folks do blind testing just seems a little extreme. I don't hear this suggested in the amplifier forums or any of the others for that matter. I don't hear it suggested when guys are trying to choose between digital devices etc.

Bits are bits? 1's and 0's? Have we not evolved from this?!

There is nothing wrong in questioning the validity of a position. I believe it is within the rights of any person on this forum to challenge a point of view. I. for one, hear no difference between said players. For the vast majority of people, With "Knowledge Removed" I am yet to see anyone finding differences between two software music players...
And some people do also challenge the validity of sighted listening tests for amplifiers .. I am not one of those although I am a proponent of blind tests. Challenges are standard fare on any forum.. It is to the person with the claims to prove its case or to state it as an opinion in which case anything goes

All that IMHO, of course

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
Guy from computer audiophile is not very smart - let's record track through Lynx analog output in to some analog input with 86db S/N ratio and run diff on it and get -90 db diff :)
Strangely enought as he was talking about significance of presence of that track ghost as a difference between clock ratesbetween input and output machines - LOL - it shows different levels of jitter from the source machine

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
My own experience so far with JPLAY is that is enormously resource intensive. The integration with JRMC 15 was quite smooth, but the default settings are likely to cause your PC to function in a rather leisurely fashion. To the extent that one has a very (electrically) noisy PC, and a mediocre USB-S/PDIF transport, sure, shutting down various operating services might make sense and could possibly improve sound quality, but not because of any issues relating to being bit-perfect.Both players are obviously capable of producing bit-perfect output; my preference is for WASAPI Event driven.

Battery power supplies for the USB-S/PDIF transport might be a more fundamental solution if reducing EMI, etc., from the PC is desired. Digital hash going across USB power and ground is certainly not going to help if it gets into the DAC, and the extent to which it increase phase noise is another problem.

I've found, through elaborate phase noise testing from 0.1 Hz out to 100 kHz, that some laptops are noisier than others, as one might expect, in terms of what creeps through the USB-S/PDIF interface. However, the differences between high-spec devices of 10 years ago and the present are minimal, at least with this measurement regime.

Regarding the battery supplies, these reduce the high-offset phase noise slightly (these tests are done with the Audiophilleo and the PurePower battery option) and of course prevent most of the digital grunge from reaching the USB-S/PDIF transport and DAC.

Let me do some comparisons between JRMC and JPLAY to see if there's any significant difference in phase noise measurements with and without a battery supply. And, of course, it will be appropriate to do some listening tests as well on a reference-grade system. JRMC is certainly a highly-refined and feature-rich application, and with a well-engineered USB-S/PDIF transport and battery supply option, you can have it both ways: convenience and performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing