Pink Floyd: The Wall Double LP 180g

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have a UK pressing from many years ago. Sounds awesome and is an awesome album.

If you don't have, go for it

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I imagine it is digitally remastered like DSOTM and WYWH ?. Too bad. They just don't bloom in the space like the analog mastered versions of yesteryear..

Unless otherwise specificied I assume the worst too :( All I know is that Doug Sax mastered it but that still doesn't mean it's all analog. It needs to say taken from the orginal master tapes -- though that doesn't mean it couldn't have been a digital master that they mixed down to analog.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Yeah, too bad it does not say.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
This is Music Direct's hype:

Sourced from the original master tapes, cut by noted engineer Doug Sax, and overseen by resident Pink Floyd producer James Guthrie, this pressing bests anything you've heard. Teeming with stunning dynamics, an immense front-to-back soundstage, newly uncovered details, balanced transients, and tube-amplifier warmth, this dead-quiet pressing will have you truly hearing this all-time classic with fresh ears. Whether you already have The Wall on an older analog pressing or on one of myriad CD versions, YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS PRESSING.

YMMV

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This is Music Direct's hype:

Sourced from the original master tapes, cut by noted engineer Doug Sax, and overseen by resident Pink Floyd producer James Guthrie, this pressing bests anything you've heard. Teeming with stunning dynamics, an immense front-to-back soundstage, newly uncovered details, balanced transients, and tube-amplifier warmth, this dead-quiet pressing will have you truly hearing this all-time classic with fresh ears. Whether you already have The Wall on an older analog pressing or on one of myriad CD versions, YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS PRESSING.

YMMV

I saw that too ;) Sourced is one thing; keeping it in the analog domain is another. I'd think that they would say all analog pressing. It's like the Wish You Were Here. Supposedly it's analog but it sure doesn't sound like it was.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I haven't heard a lot of complaints (if any) from the WYWH release, and although I don't believe it was sourced from the original anologue tapes, it has me interested regardless. I might pick it up this weekend and compare to my orginal pressings (non UK). If I feel that it's a worthwhile pressing, then I'll get The Wall also.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I have a couple of original Japanese pressings of The Wall which I think sound pretty f'ing great. I'll wait to see what the consensus is on this new version.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't heard a lot of complaints (if any) from the WYWH release, and although I don't believe it was sourced from the original anologue tapes, it has me interested regardless. I might pick it up this weekend and compare to my orginal pressings (non UK). If I feel that it's a worthwhile pressing, then I'll get The Wall also.

I haven't heard it in a while but remember it sounding dead and detailed.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I haven't heard it in a while but remember it sounding dead and detailed.

Dead and detailed? I think I know what you mean, but can you elaborate?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dead and detailed? I think I know what you mean, but can you elaborate?

Like it was recorded in an anaechoic chamber. I'd have to listen to it again to give you more details.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Like it was recorded in an anaechoic chamber. I'd have to listen to it again to give you more details.

I think I'm going to pick up WYWH anyway as I want my own interpretation of how it sounds. Granted it won't be on the most sensitive of systems, but I think I'll get a good feel for the difference anyway.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The album that intrigues me the most is the newest release of Miles Davis In Person at the Blackhawk. It's remastered by Kevin Gray and it ought to be a killer (I have a 15 ips copy of this and it's spectacular). Yes it's on my order list.

Mixed down to two-track from the original three-track masters at Battery Studio. Cut from the new two-track master by Kevin Gray.

Miles Davis' two-night stand at The Blackhawk in San Francisco marked a watershed in jazz history, a seminal event transforming the American musical landscape. Davis had never been recorded live in a club with his combo and the performances over the course of two sets a night on April 21 and 22, 1961, more than justify the legend. The New York Times, in its review of the Columbia Records release of the complete Blackhawk shows, called the music "the gold standard for straight-ahead, postwar jazz rhythm."

Impex Records is proud to bring you a performance unequaled, a recording unparalleled and the must-have audiophile release of this or any other year. Strictly limited to 2,000 pressings, so get yours now before they're gone.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I received my copy of new 180 gram version The Wall about a week ago. Today, I finally had the chance to play all of the first side and compare it to one of my standard US pressings. The standard pressing I chose to compare it to turns out to be the one I use most (the best one of my standard copies in terms of conveying the drive and energy of this recording). That particular LP has been used as a sendoff for first-time visitors and friends alike because of its incredible portrayal of the music on this LP.

Having said all this, I must say that this comparison is only after an initial listen to both pressings around 4 times for a total of eight plays combined (only of side 1).

The new 180 gram pressing is very nice. In some ways I like listening to it. You do get to hear some things that are not so easily revealed in the standard pressing I have. It does give the appearance of being a quieter pressing as well. Things are, IMO, somewhat softened, smoothed over, and slightly damped in comparison but excellent nonetheless.

The standard pressing, again IMO, has significantly more drive, transient attack, and overall dynamic punch. It does not sound as quiet or revealing though. I think this is because the standard pressing is carrying more musical energy, or drive, which is flooding my brain with more stuff which works against instrumental separation in this particular comparison.

I could listen to either pressing and enjoy them but for different reasons. The new 180 gram pressing, as stated above, sounds more relaxed, warmer, smoother, and captures more fundamentals of the notes. The better of my standard pressings, carries what seems like more of the instrumental harmonics which fills the soundstage with a good bit more energy. In addition the drive, dynamics, and downright boogie factor of my best standard pressing conveys the wall the way I believe it’s meant to be experienced.

There you have it. I listened to two different pressings. Both of them are good. You have one person’s opinion about both.

I’m looking forward to reading what others notice.

Dre :))First WBF post :))

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Dre and welcome to the What's Best Forum! Congratulations on your recent purchase and thank you for your observations.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
welcome Dre. What is your standard pressing ? For me, it's a toss up between Japan first issue and CBS Mastersounf 1/2 speed mastered.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Welcome to WBF Dre!

Gang, I think everyone will appreciate Dre_J's insights...great taste in music and tremendous technical insights into music. Plus a great ear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing