What is "the product of your imagination" in sound reproduction?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Very often we see in postings the words product of your imagination . However the word imagination can have very different connotations according to context - from non existent or impossible to something that depends strongly on your capability to associate it with your knowledge to provide the adequate perception.

I have found that on the few recordings that I was able to assist to the live performance, my criteria for appreciation of the sound reproduction is quite different from unknown or badly known recordings, as I associate small clues with aspects I remember, or they even trigger remembrances. Should we forbid our imagination of doing its work when evaluating sound reproduction, or consider it as an added value? :confused:

If we want to keep the word imagination for the dangerous meaning of fictional, what should be the correct word for the associative mechanism?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If we want to keep the word imagination for the dangerous meaning of fictional, what should be the correct word for the associative mechanism?

Sonic memory?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think the line between imagination and perception is pretty thin, personally. How about the line between perception and reality? Did I hear what I expect to? What I want to? If all expectations are circumvented, will it go away? Maybe. If I kill the illusion and listen to what's there, not what's perceived, will I experience something less? I don't think so, because I don't think you can kill the illusion. I think you can only build a stronger reality from which to launch your perceptions.

YMMV and all that.

Tim

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
How about Imaging and Soundscape?

Robh:)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Some good material at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music-related_memory. In particular, episodic memory, is probably the term to use here.

I've noted that hearing a unknown piece of music on relatively poor playback heightens both the unpleasantness of the sound, and aversion to the music as content. Once familiar with the structure, my "imagination" fills in the gap, I "know" what it should sound like and I largely react to the auditory triggers, and my memories. The system sounds better than it really is, unless some really pernicious distortions are too obvious.

The illusion of the sound being like a real musical event I find only occurs if the system is working well enough, and then it works for even completely foreign, new to me, musical works.

Frank

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
I've noted that hearing a unknown piece of music on relatively poor playback heightens both the unpleasantness of the sound, and aversion to the music as content. Once familiar with the structure, my "imagination" fills in the gap, I "know" what it should sound like and I largely react to the auditory triggers, and my memories. The system sounds better than it really is, unless some really pernicious distortions are too obvious.

Frank

I made digital transfers of some of my father-in-law's 50s-era jazz albums that he hadn't been able to play for years. Some were in pretty bad shape and needed extensive software restoration. As I was seeking advice on some of the gnarlier problems during the process, it was pointed out to me that more than half of the titles were available on CD, and I was wasting my time.

But there were a couple significant takeaways from the project.

First, as Frank pointed out, I was unfamiliar with a lot of the material and the poor initial quality of the recordings made me indifferent to the performances. But as I pored over them, my appreciation for the artists grew as the sound improved (and I was getting return on time investment). Now I count a couple of the titles -- Anita O' Day "This is Anita" (Blue Note) in particular -- among my favorites.

Second, the sonic quality of the recordings may have improved in post-processing, but they still sound like 50s LPs. But my mother-in-law Sue frequently tells me how much Tony appreciates and enjoys listening to them. I think part of his enjoyment is they remind him of being a young guy in NYC, just of out Columbia business school, and courting Sue by taking her to jazz clubs. The recordings don't have to sound perfect; it's enough that they sound as he remebered them.

Cheers,
TGD

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing