VR-77 at last?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rumor has it the first run of drivers are being made and the form factor decided. As of now it looks like they will come in two packages. Full range floor standing towers by themselves or with a pair of separate subs, a redesign of the VR-S9s. Price should slot in smack between the Annies and 9 SE Mk2s without the Subs and still substantially below the 9s with them.

If I say more, a team of assassins will get me! :D:D:D

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
Hello jack
Finally the replacement for the vr 7se.......Good it is coming out in various forms.....standard passive full range and the one with the subs....are they front or back ported......or sealed like vr 9se........any photos of them ....will be ideal.......what s the actual cost going to be. For the either formats.........is it possible to shut of the sub unit if need be........what about a room correction system.......with the ability to control the various bandwith......like a inbuilt equaliser in the speaker.
I would have love to use a passive vr 9se in system.....like Albert s own pair
Hows your magic in Manila evolving.......the vr 9se mark 11 must be sounding at its best by now.......any updates
Cheers
Violetmachan

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Doc,

Welcome to WBF or have ya just been lurking? It's definitely going to be passive, the subs will be separate options and are not integrated into the 77's enclosure. I'm betting on quasi-transmission line loading. It will be tall and slim and use the triple laminate construction used on all current models except the 33. I'm under oath not to talk about the drivers. Price should be in the high 50's to mid 60's depending on finishes without the matching sub options. I can talk a bit about the new subs since they are no longer a secret. Dimfer has the new SW-15 headed his way soon.

You've got the 7 S2s so you know exactly what the improvements are in the midrange over the S1s. Yup, my system has stabilized now. It took a while to burn in all of those caps and the dreaded Teflon roller coaster ride is now smooth cruising :) So much more unforced detail and so much less driver and cabinet coloration. The new Zobel impedance corrector circuits have gotten rid of the minor peaks and dips in FR in the older model when played feistily. In a nutshell, it gets out of the way even better than before. The new midrange also gives a greater sense of punch. Initially I thought the added impact came from the midbass enclosure mods, when I changed driver tubes in the MT amps from Mullards to Teles it turned out to be more of the new midrange. I'm very happy and off the merry go round. I can't fit 11 S2s in my room anyway. It makes the original 9s sound veiled by comparison and is now even more of a chameleon. Downside is that It is now even less tolerant of upstream noise issues. That's where it has taken me a lot of time and effort to rectify things. You know what they say, you get what you put in. :)

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
Hi jack
For sure snoop factor.........VSA 77 Photographic update would be ideal for the forum.........hope it's not a taller version of the vr 44 with a subwoofer base unit.

for me in my current living space the vr 7se 2 in its current setup seems to sings very nicely.....The mark2 has definitively improved the midrange once run in.....

I think for any serious listening once your pieces are in place must let them sing together without changes for 3-4 years .....strange for most humanbeings familiarity , sight, sound and the mind will take the music to the next level........!

the only change for me during serious listening is to use a high bar stool at the sweetspot rather than the sette/sofa.....which makes it ever so real. Must be the ear level and the height of the midrange /tweeter on the 7s2.

Violetmachan

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Definitely not a bigger 44. It'll be totally different. ;)

Wish I could say more :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Target is October 2012

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
Do we really need another big speaker? Oh...wait a minute..... yes we do!! Big speakers, IMHO, do things smaller speakers simply cannot accomplish. Especially if you have a large listening room. As good as the VR-33/35, VR-44 and VR-5 sound, I can only imagine what the 77's would do. Maybe some day I will get a chance to hear the 9's or even 11's.
Can't wait to 'see' these 77's

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing