PNWAS Presents Steve McCormack

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Many members of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society still remember the magical evening of music we had two years ago when Steve McCormack presented his Virtual Reality Engine-1 preamp to the club and pretty much blew everyone away. By the end of the meeting, some members were proposing to spend entire treasury of the club to buy the VRE-1 from Steve! Good thing that cooler heads prevailed..... but we still long for that magical moment again.

Here's another chance for those who missed that first meeting, or those at that first meeting who still miss that magic. Steve is bringing his latest version, the VRE-1C for yet another presentation. This is the first time ever that a remote-controlled version of a preamp sounds better than the manual version using a stepped, discrete-resistor attenuator. Steve will tell us how he managed to do it at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society meeting, Thursday, March 8th.

In case you don't know who Steve McCormack is, he was the founder of McCormack Audio (since sold to Conrad Johnson), founded the Mod Squad, invented Tiptoes, and recorded and engineered some of the most sought after Direct Disc LPs ever made with M&K Real Time.

We will be playing a selection of rare music, including the legendary direct discs 'For Duke' and 'Fatha Hines' that Steve was involved in.

Pacific Northwest Audio Society
7:30pm Thursday, March 8th 2012
Mercer Island Congregational Church (basement)
4545 Island Crest Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040​

Visitors and guests are always welcome.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For us unlucky sods who aren't able to attend your meetings and witness new product introductions and such, would it be possible to videotape a short segment of Steve's presentation?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
For us unlucky sods who aren't able to attend your meetings and witness new product introductions and such, would it be possible to videotape a short segment of Steve's presentation?

I'll see what we can do.... can't think of any members who would even own a video camera, but it won't hurt to ask. Might become the start of something new - to put all our meetings on Youtube :)

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Cool. Wish we had something like that here in Utah.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'll see what we can do.... can't think of any members who would even own a video camera, but it won't hurt to ask. Might become the start of something new - to put all our meetings on Youtube :)

This is what we try to do with our AES meetings.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Invite Peter B and see if he's interested?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It will be done. One of our members is a professional cameraman and has volunteered to do it. Yeah!!

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the video!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just a week away - it is looking like a vinyl-heavy affair. If I can wrestle my Roksan back from Winston, I'll bring that. If not, may be we will be using the club's turntable. Other equipment besides the star of the show - the
SMc Audio VRE-1C
:

1. Club's loudspeakers Genesis 7.2f
  2. Genesis Anniversary Monoblock amplifiers
  3. M2Tech Young DAC
  4. Genesis Music Server (latest version)
  5. Burmester Ph100 Phono Stage (or Genesis prototype)
  6. Roksan Xerses 20+ with Roksan Artemiz arm

Now, if only Ki or Bruce can be persuaded to bring a portable R2R and tapes........ :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you're in the Pacific Northwest, this is an event not to be missed. Rare chance to listen to rare vinyl including:

1) Pristine copies of M&K Realtime Direct to Disc LPs including For Duke and Fatha Hines from Joe's collection
2) FIM test pressings from Winston Ma of yet un-released FIM LPs
3) Test pressings/first pressings/radio station promos from my collection

I'll also be giving away a test pressing as a door prize. I'll decide which one after we play some of them at the meeting.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think that we all had a nice time. It was a VERY vinyl-heavy meeting.

Steve brought along his pristine copies of:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=for+duke&x=0&y=0

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=fatha+hines&x=26&y=9

and

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=flamenco+fever&x=18&y=5

Now I know what people mean when they say that Flamenco Fever is probably the most dynamic music ever pressed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
  1. Club's loudspeakers Genesis 7.2f
  2. Genesis Anniversary Monoblock amplifiers
  3. M2Tech Young DAC
  4. Genesis Music Server (latest version)
  5. Burmester Ph100 Phono Stage (or Genesis prototype)
  6. Roksan Xerses 20+ with Roksan Artemiz arm

Hi Gary, Is the Genesis Latest Server you mention above available for purchase? i did not see it on your websites. I would appreciate knowing more about it as a consumer...i have looked at your posts about creating a server, but i am not interested in doing this myself. thanks! happy to speak offline.

Lloyd

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I listened to "For Duke" last night and it's always an amazing experience.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
"Now I know what people mean when they say that Flamenco Fever is probably the most dynamic music ever pressed."

its good, huh :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
We spun a LOT of vinyl that night - and ended way past our usual bedtime. I can't remember all of it, but it included:

Vinyl Test pressing of the FIM Autumn in Seattle (not released yet):

Master Edition of:

Suite Espanola (45rpm)

Dusty in Memphis (45rpm test pressing):

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Loving (200gm test pressing):

Hopefully, somebody else who was there also took notes......

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Urgh! First video I've ever posted to YouTube. I'll ask Cal to edit it down. Steve spoke for nearly an hour.

Thanks for doing this Gary!I'm looking forward to viewing it after the edit!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing