If You Build It, Will They Come? A New Audiogon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The sad state of affairs of Audiogon has shaken the audiophile community as we all pause and wonder whether the "new" Audiogon will ever regain the glory days of the old site. There is nothing but confusion, chaos and disgust by members world wide as we sit and ponder the fate of this once noble site hoping it to regain a hint of it's old days. Sadly however such does not seem to be the case. There are never ending stories of lost links, inability to find listings, a search engine that doesn't work, scammers galore infiltrating the site amongst other things. It is also impossible to edit ones' systems even though the systems are shown as the data base was not carried over to the new site.

If I were to hazard a guess the site was changed by new ownership as means of collecting lost revenues as the old system allowed for internal communication amongst members which then allowed them to take negotiations outside of the control and auspices of Audiogon which then results in uncollected monies from the sale of the equipment.

There is an old saying that "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". Only problem now is whether all of the conversion of data or lack thereof resulted in such a quagmire making the new Audiogon unfixable.

There have been repeated cries from members everywhere that someone should take the initiative and build a new site. This is tantamount to a David and Goliath story but can it be done? Myles and others have suggested that it can be done but it would take time to establish credibility. In other words, "if you build it, will they come?"

My question to readers is the following. Given what we know now to be the sad state of affairs of Audiogon and assuming a new site can be constructed from the ground up what would you as the site developer include in your wish list from the perspective of
1. A buyer
2. A seller
3. The site owner

Let's reminisce to the days of an Audiogon that worked and have you list all of those things you feel the new site should have if it is looked at from all three perspectives of buyer, seller and site owner so that it is again a "win-win-win" situation for everyone

For instance as a seller I would want to be able to list 5-6 photos of the gear show MSRP, show asking price, list its condition, show buyer and seller ratings, feel secure in the transfer of monies etc, etc etc. As a seller would I be able to have either a direct listing or an auction etc etc?

As a buyer can I do a search of all listings, can I compare this gear to similar gear? Can I do a Blue Book search to determine the worth of the gear. etc etc

As site owner is it fair to assume a percentage of the sale price or would you eliminate this fee and instead make the listing fees such that this would be sufficient. Should listing fees be determined by the listing price of the equipment? Would you allow internal communication between members? Would you insist that all sales be handled internally between the site owners and the buyer-seller as Audiogon is striving to achieve now.

In other words given a clean slate and using developers to build something new from the ground up tell us how you envision building something "better" than Audiogon as we know it now looking at it from all three perspectives

My feelings echo that of Myles with the further caveat that "if you build it, will they come?"

However I think it would be fun to hear what everyone sees to be the perfect "next" Audiogon

Lastly, if such a site were born would everyone consider it and move their personal systems to this new site and use it for buying and selling?

IOW would you also like a site that has the ability to not only post your systems but also have discussion forums as there used to be

Finally, finally as Brutus said "there is a tide in the affairs of men" and could this be the right time to make a better Audiogon?

What sayest everyone?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve-You know how I feel about this situation. Audiogon is irrevocably broken. The Audiogon story should be taught in colleges to show how you can take a successful business model and ruin it through greed. I predict someone will step into this vacuum, it’s just a matter of who does it first.

Once upon a time, Audiogon only charged a basic listing fee and I liked that very much. The only competition that Audiogon had was Ebay and Audiogon decided to adopt the Ebay sales fee on top of the listing fee. Then paranoia broke out over how much money they were possibly losing over sales outside of Audiogon and they broke Audiogon because they wanted more money.

Even Ebay doesn’t prevent buyers and sellers from communicating. Does Ebay lose some money to deals done outside of Ebay? Of course they do. They still collect the listing fee and the percentage of these deals is but a fraction of the honest deals that happen every day. There is also a built in incentive to complete your deal on line and that is feedback. People like to buy gear from members who have a history of positive feedback.

So, if you just copied the original business model of Audiogon, that would be great. Allowing more pictures of items you are selling would be good to. People loved the forum so that should be kept. I loved the original fee structure where you just paid a listing fee and you were done. That is what drove me to quit using Ebay because with Ebay, they were always billing you for fees.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i did have my son archive all the posts on my Audiogon system page (all 2507 of them).....'just in case' it blows up and i need to reference something.

regarding sale listings; i prefer a fixed fee process maybe scaled to asking price but kept reasonable.

Last edited:

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
+1, Steve & mep.

If it's done right & not with greed, ( aka e-bay & audiogon) it will take off. Time & patience will be needed to build the following, but they will come.
I most certainly will help spread the word, as I know others will as well.

I pulled my system page years ago in protest to their policies.

Gary

Steve Williams

Thanks Gary but I am looking for specific recommendations from members as to what they would put on their wish list

Personally I feel that if a fair upfront listing fee is allowed then a sales commission is unnecessary. This seems to be a pivotal point

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Why have a "listing fee" or "sales commission" at all? Let the site be driven through ads, dealer sponsors and donations.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Steve and I have privately discussed this at some length before... A new site is _required_, but one has to also assume audiogon is looking to hire someone to fix things. Because it's required, a *good* alternative should theoretically attract business. But to gain traction, a new site would have to: a) outperform the original audiogon in basic features; b) be cheap; c) be advertised. I would suggest a simple listing fee based on asking price, and review later on. I may have visited audiogon a total of 10 times since the new year, so I would definitely use a new site.

What we need first is a concise list of desired features from everyone.

Steve Williams

Why have a "listing fee" or "sales commission" at all? Let the site be driven through ads, dealer sponsors and donations.

Wishful thinking but that IMO won't cover expenses unless and until the site is hugely successful

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wishful thinking but that IMO won't cover expenses unless and until the site is hugely successful

It's how CanuckAudioMart works (without the Donations part), and while no AG, it is very successfull nonetheless. Because of its history an prominance I have no doubt AG could make this viable. Would it generate the same amount of revenue? Probably not, and that would be its sticking point.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Let's not forget that there is another source of revenue there: Advertising.

Now, back to the original question, Audiogon represented for me a "safe" way to get used gear, I trusted more in a listing/seller there over eBay, ten to one!..I never cared to pay the extra fee on behalf of a clean transaction. Not sure how much of such transactions took place out of the US, but beleive me... One-eyebrow-up arrises from both sides.

My two pesos.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the mainattraction of the gon was/is , the personal member input into the systempages , and " pictures" people want to see a lot of pictures i think .
Buying and selling i hardly did over the gon .
I would like to post my audioexpiriences on anotherforum sure why not , if its functional and i can easily upload pics .
Forums can be nice this one seems to work fine , but i have seen other examples of it here in the netherlands which were not a succes , strict rules are not a bad idea.
What about links to interesting high end you tube clips

Good idea /initiative

henk jan

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
One feature that AG never had but Ebay has should be added. And that is the ability to do a search on recently sold components so you can see what they are selling for. This helps the buyers and sellers know what to possibly charge for their gear and what they can expect to pay for the gear.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One feature that AG never had but Ebay has should be added. And that is the ability to do a search on recently sold components so you can see what they are selling for. This helps the buyers and sellers know what to possibly charge for their gear and what they can expect to pay for the gear.

+1. Going by listings alone doesn't really help much as the pricing is all over the place.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If there are people the adds will follow i reckon , i find the audiomarkt(germany) sell /buy site very good , they charge a small
fee regardless of price and has good searchfunctions much better than the gon.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

This is indeed a good feature to have; a'gon, I believe, offered it at a premium

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hmm. This thread gives me pause for thought: I have long thought about writing a local classified ads web site (I am a C/PHP programmer and UNIX sysadmin by trade, and have built database-driven sites before). Perhaps an "Audiogon Next Gen" would be a better project...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Evolution of the internet from benign exchange of ideas and communication to screaming obnoxious billboard, commercial greed and database watch dog?

Facebook: Starts out as dating and social network and devolves into a tool of government and corporate surveillance and cross sectional analysis for advertising and sales. Epitaph: Big Brother didn't need to take the freedoms away, they just euphamised the process and let the sheep do it to themselves.

Audiogon: Hobbyist site, based on communication and common interest, succumbs to rampant commercialization and rent harvesting on the assumption that the captive audience wouldn't notice or could be exploited and wouldn't go elsewhere.

I don't think Audiogon can be saved, more like newspaper heirs fighting over a fortune being depleted by lawyers a la Bleak House, it doesn't appear to be a reversible process or a revive-able carcass.

I think as time goes on there will be the "void opportunists" who watch sites like Audiogon rise, rot and succumb and then step in to offer what Audiogon used to be, sort of like industries stealing each other's customers.

It is a strange evolution to observe, the sociopaths and con artists wrecked swatches of the the internet a couple of years ago, also the commercial exploiters of internet slander hopped on as well, it is like watching lumbering giants suffer paralyzing, crippling diseases based on the frailties of human nature.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Audiogon, I hardly knew ye.

Brutus II

On a more serious note, Steve, I think it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to build a business, you need to look for ways to maximize your return on investment, and you need to protect that investment. If you're looking to provide a service as a part of an existing audiophile community online, and you really only need to monetize it enough to make sure you're not paying for the right to provide the service, that's very different. The former? Ebay has a pretty good model, but it is, to a degree, driven by fear of being swindled, and the need for some security. The lack of community works in its favor. Someplace like WBF? People know each other, and have some trust in each other. And so the temptation to go around the commission structure and strike a deal is much stronger. Here, I think a simple listing fee up front would work much better.

Tim

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Evolution of the internet from benign exchange of ideas and communication to screaming obnoxious billboard, commercial greed and database watch dog?

Facebook: Starts out as dating and social network and devolves into a tool of government and corporate surveillance and cross sectional analysis for advertising and sales. Epitaph: Big Brother didn't need to take the freedoms away, they just euphamised the process and let the sheep do it to themselves.

Audiogon: Hobbyist site, based on communication and common interest, succumbs to rampant commercialization and rent harvesting on the assumption that the captive audience wouldn't notice or could be exploited and wouldn't go elsewhere.

I don't think Audiogon can be saved, more like newspaper heirs fighting over a fortune being depleted by lawyers a la Bleak House, it doesn't appear to be a reversible process or a revive-able carcass.

I think as time goes on there will be the "void opportunists" who watch sites like Audiogon rise, rot and succumb and then step in to offer what Audiogon used to be, sort of like industries stealing each other's customers.

It is a strange evolution to observe, the sociopaths and con artists wrecked swatches of the the internet a couple of years ago, also the commercial exploiters of internet slander hopped on as well, it is like watching lumbering giants suffer paralyzing, crippling diseases based on the frailties of human nature.

There are many threads I read and abstain to comment for fear of not expressing myself clearly or being misunderstood. This is such one thread right here, among many others.

But after reading your post from your quote just above; that sums up very well my perspective.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing