Is CAT a serious audio company?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Is there any more pertinent discussion about the CAT service issue? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As we've seen in audio and elsewhere, it's extremely difficult (sometimes impossible) to convince someone to change their mind. So, why not spend a bit more energy on enjoyable stuff?

DEV, I truly feel sorry that you didn't have a good experience. In high-end audio, I don't see how any manufacturer would want to have any negative reports circulating. On the other hand, you will have a hard time souring things for those who have had positive experiences with this product.

Lee

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Is there any more pertinent discussion about the CAT service issue? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As we've seen in audio and elsewhere, it's extremely difficult (sometimes impossible) to convince someone to change their mind. So, why not spend a bit more energy on enjoyable stuff?

DEV, I truly feel sorry that you didn't have a good experience. In high-end audio, I don't see how any manufacturer would want to have any negative reports circulating. On the other hand, you will have a hard time souring things for those who have had positive experiences with this product.

Lee

Hi LEE,

It's okay I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me but thank you for the kind words.

What gets me is if someone writes their own experience and posts such and then others who have demonstrated on this thread basically questioning, attacking suggesting you are not being truthful I would say such needs to be addressed which I have done.

I'm sure you or anyone else would do this, also I know why others don't post any negatives because they do not want to be put into the same situation as I have been.

If it's bad or there is a problem don't dare say anything because others well ... you know it clearly demonstrates such just reading this thread alone and then the discussions get heated and closed so no one actually gets to read such.

Something is wrong with that don't you think.

I do enjoy things in life and have been told by numerous individuals over the years thatjust alone from my postings I have assisted them in many ways.

I did not start this thread and was only noting my own experience as you can see and egged on to have to provide more and more info.

At no time did I say not to buy CAT product nor trying to take away positive experiences just sharing mine.

That is what these threads are for right?

Individuals can and will do what ever, like I said it's all about the music so do enjoy! :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
DEV,

Not implying that you've said anything wrong or that you didn't have good intentions in this thread. We at WBF simply want to to avoid arguments between members that serve no constructive purpose. I hope you and all the members posting in this thread understand.

Lee

caesar

May 30, 2010
caesar,

firstly what I have wrote is by no means a rumor, it's actual facts that l have provided and my personal experience.

Don't feel bad it's important that we share the good and bad. I would no way want someone else to go threw what I have, the agravation off dealing with such for approx a years time and in the end be out financially as I mentioned. What is SAD though is I know of some who have because I and others decide to be silent on these forums. You know worried about burning bridges sorta speak but I personally have lots of connections so I'm not so concerned, sorry but I need to sleep well at night and not have this hanging over my head.

I have received PM's from several individules from this thread whom have shared their first hand exsperiences and if they were posted well put it this way would really cause issues, don't worry guys I would never mention such that was sent to me.

So now anyone reading this you have been WARNED! Do what you want doesn't matter to me ;) and no one can ever say I never said anything.

The new Statment amps shown at the CES driving the same speakers as mine was laughable, I would hope he did alot of this and that besides changing the name from Sig. MK2's and now calling them Statements asking for an additional $40 THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! really come on.

That's just so laughable :) and someone has already bought a pair. Mostly likely at @ a heavy discount.

This hobby sure is unique! which I'm involved in.

DEV, thanks for sharing. I wish more people were as forthcoming as you instead of shooting PM's. Like I said, sunshine is the best disinfectant, and problems like you had would be greatly reduced.

A bit off topic, now, you have had some killer gear in your system. Did you get to audition it much in your own system before buying, or did you pull the trigger on gear, try it in your system and sell what didn't work out?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
DEV, thanks for sharing. I wish more people were as forthcoming as you instead of shooting PM's. Like I said, sunshine is the best disinfectant, and problems like you had would be greatly reduced.

A bit off topic, now, you have had some killer gear in your system. Did you get to audition it much in your own system before buying, or did you pull the trigger on gear, try it in your system and sell what didn't work out?

Yes and no, let me explain see below.

All at the same time I owned the following;

Room one

Avalon Isis speakers
VTL Ref 750's
VTL 7.5 pre
ARC Ref3
ARC 610t's
and other goodies

Room two Living room

Andra 2's
Pass Lab 600.5
MBL 6010d pre
CAT JL2 stereo

I purchased the MBL's and still had everything else.

So when the MBL's arrived it was easier to move the Andra's to break-in them in. When I did this right out of their crates brand new found they were very special and decided to start trying different gear and amps. What happened during this time was I had my Isis speakers up for sale and the person who wanted them, wanted every pce of gear in that room including my table. The deal felt right so I sold everything so unfortuantly I did not get to hear my 610T's or 750's, I then sold my Andra's. I spoke with Ken in relation to the JL3's and he told me that they were designed specifically with the MBL 101E's.

I had to pay for those in-full prior to actually being started.

While I still had them I got a pair of Bryston Squared 28's to tie my system over while awaiting for other amps to show up for a listen.

Some of these specific amps I did not pay for but was able to demo and pay for shipping back if I decided not to keep.

In between this time I purchased a VAC Sig. MK2a pre and was so smitten by the sonics eventually sold off my ARC and MBL 6010d but not until I had these others amps within my system to pair up with such.

Those amps consisted of; Boulder 2050's, Karan 1200's, MBL 9008's and 9011's to name a few.

I knew of the Vac Statement amps and really wanted to hear them but the only way was to pay for a pair, I held of. I then received a email with what I thought would be the impossible but wasn't. A chap in NY had the same speakers and pre as me and on their way was a pair of the VAC Statement 450's and I was offered to come for a listen. I waited for them to have up to 400 hours on them and then booked my flight for a three day stay over to evaluate.

I learned allot over the time with my speakers, trying this in my own home with no presure. Looking at my notes I found I would like this or that with this or that combo but nothing that really stood out saying WOW! and me wanting to part with my money.

Well when I got to the guys home it was pretty special from the get go, first listening exsperience was the system turned down low playing music. I was in awe, the floor noise was lower than anything else I have heard, so musical and I said to my self how can this be, these are tube amps. The dynamics were there, midrange and I can go on and on but was just floored, it just sounded like real performers were in the room. I have never experienced to this extent before, I was there for a full three days in glory listening to music, this was a real world set-up in someones home. Like a add on solarium with windows all behind the speakers, the room was by far ideal, large rack of albums over 8ft high on one side and not much on the other side so really the room was off balance but it didn't matter, the music was so glorious.

While I was there I played this and that, both cd and my favorite vinyl trying to find fault. I wanted an excuse not to buy these, one of the faults I found was my face hurt from smiling :D

Sorry to go on and on but it really was special, I had to have these so yes paid in-full prior to receiving.

I took pictures of my journey because how many chances in a million would this ever happen, I went there not thinking this was possible and just to say to my self now I've heard them.

I could not wait to get home and place an order with my dealer, I still had the MBL 9011's hooked up. All my gear was on standby and played some music, was disappointed and packed everything up, reconnected my Bryston's and waited.

So I hope I answered your questions.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Steve thanks, I wouldn't do it on this page as it would just be so wrong. If I look at your set-up gear wise you most defiantly have me beat just alone with those Lamm's and speakers you own. Also being in a designated room, mine isn't currently and there is a story but that's for another posting. I have tried posting pictures of different things before but this site really isn't user freindly in resizing so everything went big, then I resized and it went too small so I just gave up.

If you send me a PM including your personal email I could send to you some pics and then you could post if you wish because you seem to have this down pat. I really love Jack's and his brothers room with the same pre and amps as me, I also own the same TW Acustic Black Knight table which is currently up for sale on Audiogon. The room is on my list to do because now my weak link is my room but waiting to move and build a specific separate building for this and will have a covered glass walk way to the main house that is tempature controlled. It's all designed and just waiting, I would like to have my MBL's on one end of the room and another pair of speakers on the other end. Not yet sure what but would offer a different presentation, most likely box type but then again would love to hear the Extreme 101's with separate bass columns. I would also like to get some JL's like you have and try but haven't found anyone locally whom's system I feel is dialed in properly, also my exisitng room just would not happen so that's down the road. I still am dealing with my floor interacting so I've been trying this and that and learning along the way, some times you think you have made some improvement but find you have actually stepped backwards.

Also on my mind is possibly buying another pair of VAC Statement 450's and bi-amp my speakers :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Also on my mind is possibly buying another pair of VAC Statement 450's and bi-amp my speakers :D

You are one sick puppy man :D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Jack, how's it going? Were your ears burning? You should be buying my BK table so you can compete with your brother :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No tengo dinero DEV! LOL!

I hope flez corrects my poor spanish!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
What we will do when we want to hear something :D

Attachments

• 2011_02060004..jpg
    2011_02060004..jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 2011_02060016..jpg
    2011_02060016..jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 1,260
Last edited:

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Seems like its pretty cold in canada

But here is what mbl says about there radialsthrahlers power consumption .

http://www.mbl-audio.com/en/Produkcija/col2/Amplifiers/_10.html

We do have seasons just as other countries and this was winter February 4, 2011 so yes for sure it was not summer and neither was it in NY City which is the last picture.

So what's your point? :confused: that MBL is trying to sell silly amps and they need to market such saying blah! blah!. What does your posting have to do with CAT and the actual thread? You appear to have an agenda because of my personal story of my CAT experience.

I know of and have heard a system with MBL 101E's being driven by Mastersound 300B tube Monoblocks http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1246544826&read&keyw&zzmbl which are only 30 watts :p http://www.mastersoundsas.it/master 1_1_ing/300Bplus.htm

I looked at your profile and you make mention you are a speaker manufacture so I checked them out :eek: nothing special but all the best to you, being on your site I see you have an actual business selling numerous other product period so why not disclose such when posting? Why so secretive? for me when someone does this any credibilitiy they might have had actually had just goes out the window.

I'm a end user period :D

Last edited:

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
I’ve long been an admirer of your speakers, Dev, they’re among my very favorite. Your system is just amazing too. It’s pretty obvious that a lot of thought has gone into choosing every component. I have no doubt that your system sounds absolutely spectacular.

Spectacular is the word I’d use to describe the sound of your speakers at CES this year too. I attended and was fortunate enough to wander into the CAT room. Much to my surprise, CAT was showing with the mbl 101e this year.

The good people at CAT were kind enough to spin one of my CD's and upon hearing it, all I could say was "WOW!" I said it out loud and the guy next to me just smiled and nodded his head. First of all, I’ve heard that CD hundreds of times and it never sounded anywhere near that over the top great. Secondly, I’ve heard mbl 101e’s plenty of times. Great speakers. Still, with the CAT JL3 Statements doing the driving, they were taken to a level I thought only the mbl Extremes could go. Not only was it the best I’ve ever heard 101e’s sound, it was some of the best sound I’ve ever heard in my life.

Dev, you owe it to yourself as an mbl owner to go out and hear your wonderful speakers on the JL3 Statements. My bet is your reaction will be the same as mine: "WOW!"

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I’ve long been an admirer of your speakers, Dev, they’re among my very favorite. Your system is just amazing too. It’s pretty obvious that a lot of thought has gone into choosing every component. I have no doubt that your system sounds absolutely spectacular.

Spectacular is the word I’d use to describe the sound of your speakers at CES this year too. I attended and was fortunate enough to wander into the CAT room. Much to my surprise, CAT was showing with the mbl 101e this year.

The good people at CAT were kind enough to spin one of my CD's and upon hearing it, all I could say was "WOW!" I said it out loud and the guy next to me just smiled and nodded his head. First of all, I’ve heard that CD hundreds of times and it never sounded anywhere near that over the top great. Secondly, I’ve heard mbl 101e’s plenty of times. Great speakers. Still, with the CAT JL3 Statements doing the driving, they were taken to a level I thought only the mbl Extremes could go. Not only was it the best I’ve ever heard 101e’s sound, it was some of the best sound I’ve ever heard in my life.

Dev, you owe it to yourself as an mbl owner to go out and hear your wonderful speakers on the JL3 Statements. My bet is your reaction will be the same as mine: "WOW!"

Thanks :D I really enjoy them also. I'm sure the CAT people would be more than happy for you to listen to their $80K mono blocks who wouldn't?

I'm assuming you did not actually read the entire thread because of your posting, I've been there and done that already owning a pair of CAT JL3 Sig. MK2's, they were okay but nothing special! The rest of my experience was a nightmare :eek:

I prefer my VAC Statement 450 :D they have gotten me off the Merry-go-round.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Finally i have the Poweramp in my system as well , as this thread is about CAT reliability i ll give my expirience , the dealer i bought it from said it wasnt an issue
First the pre :
In my pocession since 2011 never had any problems , the cracking noise i had in the beginning , has never been a problem since ( after cleaning a switch with contactspray) pre is dead quit , phono stage is not .

Secondly the poweramp : regarding the bias not being steady is normal in a sense( there might have been another problem in devs case i dont know ) , as the bias is around 35 at startup and will drop to around 28 after a couple of hours listening on KT 120 tubes , the adjustability is great , beeing able to adjust the bias per channel on a lcd screen is a very nice attribute on a tube poweramp the controls feel also very solid , the bias is fluctuating all the time its never a constant in the poweramp
No problems whatsoever in these first 3weeks , one problem was indeed transformer hum , apparently its not so much the transformer as well as the cage protecting it , adding some weightdampening solved that , something to be looked at by CAT , sound is topnotch, i listen to/watch a lot of documentairies and the sound is exeptionally detailed /real sounding very happy:D

Last edited:

richard

Jul 2, 2011
Charleston, SC
This is a little bit of an old thread, but I think I can contribute.

I originally got a used pair of CAT JL-3 sigs to drive Acoustat Spectra 66's. Phenomenal. Previous owner of the Acoustats (an audio dealer and friend, Brent Rainwater, now sadly deceased) had tried them with many amps, could not believe how good they sounded with the CATs. Upgraded to Mk II, then to JL-3 Statements, now driving Apogee Scintillas (straight 1-ohm version). Unreal. How many tube amps can drive the most difficult speaker load ever made (arguably) to room filling levels (and it's a BIG room), yet they don't sound strained, just "GOOD!" Effortless. Ken has taken some time to upgrade my amps, but I always felt like I got good value. I haven't listened to every great amplifier (who has?), but I think these big amps are probably something really special. If I had to guess, maybe the best combination of clarity and sheer power (from tubes) ever produced.

FWIW.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
These convergent poweramps are definetively tube powerhouses , my neighbours share the same opinion:D, for the system size i currently own ,you need a dedicated noise free room to exploit its full (bass)potential its earthshakingly good

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing