Is CAT a serious audio company?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

caesar

May 30, 2010
Oh boy. Caesar really knows how to stir the pot. There's no way this thread can turn out good.

Suffice it to say that once I heard the absolutely unacceptable treatment DEV got, I've crossed CAT off my list forever. For of those who won't believe, his saying "long story short" is the understatement of the year.

Robert,

I am of 2 minds of this. Rumors need to be displaced, if they are incorrect. We are not talking about diamonds here, but fragile tube gear! I feel bad that this seems to have opened up an old wound for our esteemed member, DEV. But at the same time I whole-heartedly agree with him - sunshine is the best disinfectant. Especially if we want to keep our hobby flourishing.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Robert,

I am of 2 minds of this. Rumors need to be displaced, if they are incorrect. We are not talking about diamonds here, but fragile tube gear! I feel bad that this seems to have opened up an old wound for our esteemed member, DEV. But at the same time I whole-heartedly agree with him - sunshine is the best disinfectant. Especially if we want to keep our hobby flourishing.

caesar,

firstly what I have wrote is by no means a rumor, it's actual facts that l have provided and my personal experience.

Don't feel bad it's important that we share the good and bad. I would no way want someone else to go threw what I have, the agravation off dealing with such for approx a years time and in the end be out financially as I mentioned. What is SAD though is I know of some who have because I and others decide to be silent on these forums. You know worried about burning bridges sorta speak but I personally have lots of connections so I'm not so concerned, sorry but I need to sleep well at night and not have this hanging over my head.

I have received PM's from several individules from this thread whom have shared their first hand exsperiences and if they were posted well put it this way would really cause issues, don't worry guys I would never mention such that was sent to me.

So now anyone reading this you have been WARNED! Do what you want doesn't matter to me ;) and no one can ever say I never said anything.

The new Statment amps shown at the CES driving the same speakers as mine was laughable, I would hope he did alot of this and that besides changing the name from Sig. MK2's and now calling them Statements asking for an additional $40 THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! really come on.

That's just so laughable :) and someone has already bought a pair. Mostly likely at @ a heavy discount.

This hobby sure is unique! which I'm involved in.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well i dont know whos getting a bit laughable here , JL2 signmk2 dont exist in mono form , so if it would be a upgrade it would be from Jl 3 sign as far as i now , i am also beginning to taste some envy here .
If i recall good you have MBL speakers radialstrahlers , the worst price /performance ratio i have ever heard in my 10 year audiohistory have been just them at a audioshow on mbl amps , and i am not exxagerating , no offense to you , you might have them singing quite wonderfully.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well i dont know whos getting a bit laughable here , JL2 signmk2 dont exist in mono form , so if it would be a upgrade it would be Jl 3 sign as far as i now , i am also beginning to taste some envy here .
If i recall good you have MBL speakers radialstrahlers , the worst price /performance ratio i have ever heard in my 10 year audiohistory have been just them at a audioshow on mbl amps , and i am not exxagerating , no offense to you , you might have them singing quite wonderfully.

The 101s sound much better with tubes (JA-500, CAT, VAC) than they do on most ss gear, including MBL's own electronics, in my experience. Plus, shows are the worst place to judge the 101s; I've never heard them sound good at a show! I have however, heard them sound quite good for instance, in a colleagues home. The sound nothing at all like at show, which is no surprise given they are an omnidirectional speaker and probably excite every issue with a hotel room.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Well i dont know whos getting a bit laughable here , JL2 signmk2 dont exist in mono form , so if it would be a upgrade it would be from Jl 3 sign as far as i now , i am also beginning to taste some envy here .

Well I can see the sharks are out as usual, sorry but typ o on my part , should have read JL3 MK2 Sig. Would you like to see some pics as you seem to be now questioning me which really pisses me off.

That's your opinion in realtion to the MBL's and I totally disagree.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011

Kindly show where I wrote such because you never quoted such and just rambled on and I think you need to adjust those specs and loose the snide remarks.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sure go ahead , i doubt it will change the overall impression i am getting here , and i have since now just heard one side of story

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is it just me, or is this thread getting weird?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Sure go ahead , i doubt it will change the overall impression i am getting here , and i have since now just heard one side of story

Answer my questions above where did you see me writing JL2 Sig MK2. You don't deserve to see a picture, by you own pair.

I'm laughing really loud now :)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
OK guys, let's keep it friendly and civil........thanks

No problem :)

but when a individual of such makes personal attackes as he did along with his snide remark towards my speakers I'm sure you would not take it too kindly either. He is likely just trying to get the thread closed so in the end others can not read. Smell a dealer or has financial ties!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Even fools like me are entitled to have an opinion on the net dev , okay good evening bye

You called yourself the fool not me, I fully agree but when someone "me" goes out on the limb to share their own personal experience getting "sensitive" screwed over by a manufacture how dare you start to question such as you did. To me that's just wrong and I know I would be thanking the person rather than what you tried to suggest.

As I wrote I really don't care, do what ever but at least now I have shared what happened to me so others can read.

Other members here whom know me know I would not BS such a story, that's just not my nature, I try to help people in general.

Your snide remark towards my speakers no problem, you aren't the first and won't be the last and again don't really care but such was not the topic at hand either.

Enjoy! It's all about the music in the end :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I was joking a bit with the fool thing , if this is exactly what happened to you than i might be a bit wrong .
But what the topic (is cat a serious audiocompany ) is concerned , there are obviously people with other expiriences including me , it will defenitively not stop me from buying a legend or tube poweramp from cat .
It just might be the " BEST"
Fact is you have a extremely powerhungry speaker with a 80,5 dB efficiency and a minimum impedance of 3,4 ohm , i doubt the CAT could drive them properly in the first place , they are 150 watts per channel as far as i now .

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-101e-radialstrahler-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I was joking a bit with the fool thing , if this is exactly what happened to you than i might be a bit wrong .
But what the topic (is cat a serious audiocompany ) is concerned , there are obviously people with other expiriences including me , it will defenitively not stop me from buying a legend or tube poweramp from cat .
It just might be the " BEST"
Fact is you have a extremely powerhungry speaker with a 80,5 dB efficiency and a minimum impedance of 3,4 ohm , i doubt the CAT could drive them properly in the first place , they are 150 watts per channel as far as i now .

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-101e-radialstrahler-loudspeaker-measurements

You seem to again be still questioning what I have written, what I wrote is exactly what happened and I would say it is far from just being "a bit wrong" as you write.

If you are in business I feel sorry for anyone whom conducts such with you.

My posting was not intended to stop anyone from buying CAT product, just to share my experence.

Sorry but when I read someone referring to the word "BEST" all their credibility just goes out the windo, there is no such, only different which is all subjective.

Have you actually owned a pair of JL3 Sig. MK2's mono's and a pair of Vac Statement 450 mono blocks drivng a pair of MBL 101E speakers? I'm sure your answer back will be no, well I have and currently still own the VAC's and they are in another whole world than what the Cat's.

My MBL's, you obviously do not know the speakers just as per you precious postings. Talk to Ralph of Atmasphere and he will provide you with some knowledge because I know you don't believe me because you continously postings clearly demostrate such. He will tell you the when the 101E speakers are in a room they are not very hard to drive.
They do like current.

You suggest they will not drive the MBL 101E's properly and you even go as far to provide a link, wow! thanks

You can contact Ken S and he will tell you that these amps "my JL3 Sig. MK2's and the LATEST JL3 Statement mono blocks were designed specifically in mind of the MBL 101E speakers so you really need to get your facts straight prior to pushing those keys.

Sorry to sound so abrupt but YAWN this really is boring!

You did not answer my questions prior so kindly provide;

1. Are you a dealer or have any finacial ties what so ever?

2. Also you suggested I wrote JL2 which is the stereo amp only but never provided such.

I hope we can put this to a closing and move on. :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah we ll finish it here enough said .

1: NO , but i could see myself becoming one .
2: I still am in the opinion i read JL2 sign, but whatever.
3: i have never owned a cat poweramp or a vac power amp , just a graaf GM 200 tubepoweramp

and further i seem to differ in opinion from highly respected names in the industry , which is okay with me .

greetings henk jan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing