Is speaker adjustibility a marketing gimmick?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Wilsons, Focals, etc., all claim to give the listener an advantage because their speakers can be adjusted to the listener's seat position. Is there something to this? Or are these just bad design choices twisted and marketed as a benefit to the customer?

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMHO there is definitely something to this ( speaking only now for my speakers)

You definitely have one of a handful of the most amazing speakers in the world, so it definitely works for Wilson. But take the awesome Vivid Giya. They just created a really weird shape to it and don't bother with adjustibility, while passing the cost savings on to the customer.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I pride myself in being a function-first person ....

I am however certain I will never put a Giya in my listening room, however good it sounds (well within limits :) ) . Weird, disturbing, unsettling looking item ...

caesar

May 30, 2010
I pride myself in being a function-first person ....

I am however certain I will never put a Giya in my listening room, however good it sounds (well within limits :) ) . Weird, disturbing, unsettling looking item ...

I understand the emotional response, Frantz. Frank Gehry's architecture generates the emotions you describe in me.

Out of curiosity, have you heard it?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
speaker adjustability is a godsend to some. Seriously... the only thing you can do to speakers is to reposition them or your listening distance. With adjustable speakers, you can contour the sound if there are any problems with the room to get that last 3% of fidelity.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But have you heard the speaker Frantz

The speaker shape reminds me of the Diva's head in the movie The Fifth Element

Very true and enough to make me uncomfortable listening to it, specially if in pale blue color!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
But have you heard the speaker Frantz

The speaker shape reminds me of the Diva's head in the movie The Fifth Element

I understand the emotional response, Frantz. Frank Gehry's architecture generates the emotions you describe in me.

Out of curiosity, have you heard it?

I haven' head them but I do know they would never go in my listening space... This is beyond prejudice , really. I am unsettled by their looks they look like some pod out of a (bad) Science_Fiction Horror flick from the 1950's... I sincerely think I am not alone in this .. I do sincerely believe that their extremely put-offing shape limits their market because from all reports that I ahev read and heard they are truly superior.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I haven' head them but I do know they would never go in my listening space... This is beyond prejudice , really. I am unsettled by their looks they look like some pod out of a (bad) Science_Fiction Horror flick from the 1950's... I sincerely think I am not alone in this .. I do sincerely believe that their extremely put-offing shape limits their market because from all reports that I ahev read and heard they are truly superior.

You can always go with the originals - one of the best sounds I have ever listened to (in a ball room sized old hotel room, I must say). Besides, it will get Tim approval :)

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 169

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Frantz

that is a perfect example of "expectation bias" :)

I would bet that if you heard the speaker you would have a different impression as they are just that good. Phillip O'Hanlon hit a home run by bringing them into the US

caesar

May 30, 2010
speaker adjustability is a godsend to some. Seriously... the only thing you can do to speakers is to reposition them or your listening distance. With adjustable speakers, you can contour the sound if there are any problems with the room to get that last 3% of fidelity.

Bruce, that's a great point. How does it work on a Wilson?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bruce, that's a great point. How does it work on a Wilson?

you know the answer Caesar. All of the top 3 modules are adjustable in 2 dimension such that the drivers are all focussed at the ear. This is achieved by moving the module forward or back on a track as well as using a pivot bolt that adjusts the angle of the module.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Frantz

that is a perfect example of "expectation bias" :)

I would bet that if you heard the speaker you would have a different impression as they are just that good. Phillip O'Hanlon hit a home run by bringing them into the US

+1

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I may not have expressed myself clearly enough. I am not saying for a second they are not great sounding ... They might be but I find their looks off-putting, almost repulsing...

On the issue of speakers adjustability. They are welcome but for the most part band-aids. I do however believe that true adjustability will be brought in by Software. A software specific to a speaker would do wonders. I wold like to see and hear what something like DeQX or TaCT specfically designed for a speaker would be able to do.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I may not have expressed myself clearly enough. I am not saying for a second they are not great sounding ... They might be but I find their looks off-putting, almost repulsing...

Well listen in the dark then. Don't most audiophiles do that anyway? :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing