How disgusting is fast food?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Um, may I please have a burger w/o human hair, duck feathers, wood and beetle juice? Larges fries w/o silly putty, preservatives, though some fertilizer is fine; and keep the pink slime

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/8-creepy-mystery-ingredients-in-fast-food?hpt=hp_bn12

And let's not talk about sausages, hot dogs and the like http://blog.fooducate.com//2009/08/03/guess-whats-in-the-picture-foodlike-substance/

Progress??? http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/mcdonalds-gets-rid-of-pink-slime-in-beef

And we all pay for the medical problems eventually caused by all this junk...

Anyone read Fast Food Nation?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So True.. A problem America will have to confront head-on. For now the Agro-industrial complex is strong, it is resisting with all its might. The evidences are mounting .. It is getting clearer by the day that most Heath problems in America (and to a lesser extent elsewhere) are linked to processed food. The Government and its leaders will have to make a choice between the Life of the People (including their own) and the money bestowed upon them by Big Agro.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You forgot the Nicaraguan beef with DDT. :(

Frantz: Jack Lalanne said it BEST when receiving a lifetime achievement award at the Arnold Classic (from the Arnold) several years ago:

If man made it, don't eat it!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not giving up my Grilled Cheese sandwich with real processed cheese though!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
One of my recent occupational hazards is knowing too much about food manufacturing. As a result, I've seen my last ground meats, and approach processed and pre-cooked (even restaurant) foods with great caution.

We find ourselves eating a lot of vegetable proteins these days.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
A pie chart I saw recently was revealing in its way. It showed sources of sodium in the American diet. Little slices of pie represented home cooking and salt added at the table. Two thirds of the chart was processed food and restaurant food. The message is simple. Cook. With basic ingredients. The more "pre-processed" (ie: pre- seasoned, mixed, prepared, cooked), the worse. Full of sodium Full of chemicals. Full highly processed corn sweeteners. Then there's meat. Brush aside any issues you may or may not have with animal treatment in the process, the processing is frightening. If I ever eat hamburger again, I will have ground it myself.

Tim

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations to our Food and Drug Administration. To those outside the US, this is the government agency asserting and protecting the quality of human hair and duck feathers we eat.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Congratulations to our Food and Drug Administration. To those outside the US, this is the government agency asserting and protecting the quality of human hair and duck feathers we eat.

And which, go after Vitamins supplements with all their might while allowing carcinogens and health depleting elements inthings we eatand take for medication .. .:rolleyes:

Don't ever underestimate the power of the Lobbyists ...

As an aside the sam FDA went strong after Stevia a sweetener with a Glycemic index of Zero, about 300 times sweeter than sucrose and that is not metabolized by the body .. They don't want it to be labelled as "sweetener" rather as "nutrition supplement". They made sure to allow the use of Aspartame (Nutra Sweet) which has likely ruined the health of millions of people :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And which, go after Vitamins supplements with all their might while allowing carcinogens and health depleting elements inthings we eatand take for medication .. .:rolleyes:

Don't ever underestimate the power of the Lobbyists ...

As an aside the sam FDA went strong after Stevia a sweetener with a Glycemic index of Zero, about 300 times sweeter than sucrose and that is not metabolized by the body .. They don't want it to be labelled as "sweetener" rather as "nutrition supplement". They made sure to allow the use of Aspartame (Nutra Sweet) which has likely ruined the health of millions of people :(

And probably the number carcinogen is smoking. The medical community estimates that 70% of lung cancers are attributable to smoking. That's staggering!

One thing to remember though, is that our body is a chemical factory. We have lots of defense mechanisms and pathways, say esp. in the Liver, to deal with many mutagenic, teratogenic and carcinogenic substances.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think it's important to be aware of the foods we eat, whether processed or (seemingly) not, but to lay blame on it all is misleading. As long as one consumes things in moderation there is no long-term harm from it. Besides, can anyone really say they eat no processed food at all? I bet you can't lay claim to that.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

As usual, AMEN Frantz. Amen!!

Anyone taking NutraSweet or any of the other chemical "sweeteners" (I'm not talking about Stevia which is a natural awesome substitute), needs to go do their own research on what those poisons are doing to your body.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The thing with many of these natural substances is that they are virtually impossible to patent .. You can't patent nature :) and Stevia is absolutely natural the best sweetener for (cold) food for diabetics, actually for everyone since it is known that spikes in blood sugar that follows the ingestion of sugar are very detrimental to general health ... They saw Stevias a (real) threat because at the time,early to mid-90's, Big Pharma/Agro were trying to come up with an artificial sweetener one they could patent... So down went Stevia as a sweetener up went Nutra Sweet. Back in the days, theyused to proudly display the Nutrasweet logo on "Diet" stuff .. These days I don't see it much ..;) .. Aspartame health destroying properties are well documented

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing