Favorite Internet Browser

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
It does much more than block pop-ups. Most browsers already do that. Adblock Plus filters out advertising, banners, and some forms of tracking. It works really well and only takes a few seconds to install. Go to the Tools menu and then pick Add-ons. You can download and install Adblock Plus from within Firefox. Here is a link to some more information:

http://adblockplus.org/en/

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
In order of preference:

1. Firefox, because it's open source, standards compliant, and Solaris comes with it out of the box.

2. Safari, for when Firefox doesn't work (usually caused by idiotic web site programmers).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No one using Chrome :confused:
I do!!! I used to use IE but I am a guy who opens tens of tabs and IE takes forever to spawn a new process to create the tab. Chrome is instantaneous. I also had to live on a slow machine for a while and Chrome was light years faster.

I also love that Chrome does inline spell checking as I type as if anyone needs spelling help, it is me :).

On thing I miss in IE is selecting text and instantly performing an Internet search on it.

Chrome does crash once in a great while but not often enough to be an issue.

On the other side of the coin, I author my own web site and IE when opening pages from the local computer disables scripts which makes it hard for me to test the site.

So all in all, Chrome is better than IE in just about every way.

Too much creature of habit at this point to go and try other browsers :D.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm an IE guy. It does everything I want it to do without any problems and I'm not a MS fanboy either. I'm happy with it and I see no reason to try anything else.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm an IE guy. It does everything I want it to do without any problems and I'm not a MS fanboy either. I'm happy with it and I see no reason to try anything else.

If you tried something else, then you'd know the reason why ;)

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Safari 4.0.5 with Pith Helmet 2.8.5

Firefox 3.6.3 with Adblock 1.1.3, Fission 1.0.9 and NoScript

After using Google search for many, many years I've moved to another service. If you read about recent Google practices with AdSense, and information capture you understand my concern.

The recent three collum result pages that look like Bing are part of the new plan including ultimately being able to locate you precisely to your physical address. This information will be used for commissions for AdSense and sold to advertisers to target your searches and purchases.

This is the engine I use now, they operate without cookies, have a proxy service and do not record your IP address. http://www.ixquick.com/

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Albert,

This post has a wealth of information (and we aren't even considered a computer site). I'm going to look into all of the addons that you mentioned for both browsers. In particular, NoScript seems like a no-brainer. As mentioned above, I currently use Adblock, which works great.

Jay

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Albert,

This post has a wealth of information (and we aren't even considered a computer site). I'm going to look into all of the addons that you mentioned for both browsers. In particular, NoScript seems like a no-brainer. As mentioned above, I currently use Adblock, which works great.

Jay

More on Google, text below is link

Google Behavioral ads

I use Opera, yes it has an adblocker just a little bit hidden inside the thing. This is important as in Africa the best internet access is generally (not everywhere) via the cell phone network (indeed the only access out in the sticks) so you don't want to waste your data bundle on ads.

It also has a neat feature called Unite which I use for accessing files from remote locations.

It is also quite quick, not like Chrome but better than Firefox which seems to be a bit bloated/slow in recent versions; just an opinion...

Downside is that for internet banking you are pretty much locked into IE due to retard programming by banks who must be in cahoots with MS (yay, go conspiracy theory)...

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
1. Safari
2. Firefox

... Firefox used to be my first choice, but in the last month I've since preferred Safari with its latest updates.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Quick question on Internet Security Suites and the browsers.
Do the various security suites integrate fully with these?
As an example Kaspersky has several add-ons to IExplorer including securing keyboard buffer,etc.
I would assume these type of add-ons should, but interested in those with actual experience using other browsers and their security suite (can be other than Kaspersky).

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing