Sim2 M.150 LED Architectural Review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. Sim2 recently announced a new LED light sourced projector called the M.150 or Mico 150. LED light source brings some interesting advantages to projection technology.

I have written an overview and combined it with an excellent design review of it from Sim2. Click to read the Sim2 M.150 Architectural Review.

Key innovations in this second generation LED projector are more light output and support from 3-D.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Amir, have you had a chance to demo one of these and if so, how does it compare to what I have, the C3X1080?

I've been waiting for something that would be a significant upgrade.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi. No, I have yet to see the unit. Was hoping to do that at CES but they did not have it powered up. Hope to see it at CEDIA which is in September.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Draws 30A? Costs $28K? Not likely to be on my short list of things to buy.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I feel like I have that very thing Amir and $11K for the whole enchilada.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There are benefits in this technology that is hard to get elsewhere. It uses a single panel so the image is sharper than use of three. Yet, since it strobes the LEDs fast, it doesn't have rainbows/color separation. Its light source also doesn't dim whereas normal bulbs do that. Nor does its colors shift.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A new review came out posted in the respected UK forum on this projector: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/SIM...rid.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

As you see, it is exceptionally positive!

"In terms of 2D performance, the M.150 knocks it out of the park, thanks in part to the superb image accuracy and excellent video processing. The inherent advantages of DLP mean that motion handling is second to none and the superior optics and single chip design deliver a breathtakingly sharp and detailed image. The absolute black levels might not be as deep as some other projectors but the shadow detail and dynamic range within an image was wonderful, delivering pictures that had real impact. Thanks to the LED light source there is no need for a colour wheel, which almost completely eliminates any rainbow artefacts. The LEDs also have the advantage of retaining their brightness and consistency over their minimum 30,000 hour life expectancy. Sim2 have worked hard to develop brighter LEDs and we found the 1,000 lumens on the M.150 to be more than sufficient, delivering bright images on our large review screen. In fact, aside from Sim2’s own Lumis 3D-S, this is one of the best 2D images we have seen and an absolutely reference performance.

Of course whilst it is rewarding to see that the M.150 can deliver a reference performance with 2D, there have been good LED projectors before. What sets the M.150 apart from the competition is its 3D capability and in this capacity it also didn't disappoint, delivering a breath-taking 3D performance that rivalled even the mighty Lumis 3D-S in terms of detail, motion handling and a complete lack of crosstalk. Whilst the M.150 doesn't use the Triple Flash technology (72Hz per eye) found on the Lumis 3D-S, it does project 24p 3D Blu-rays at 60Hz per eye which results in a 3D viewing experience that is free of flicker. The only slight area of weakness was in terms of brightness, where the use of LEDs put the M.150 at a disadvantage to brighter bulb-based projectors like the Lumis 3D-S and the Sony VW1000. However, whilst the M.150's 3D images may lack a little punch, they have the obvious advantage of being able to maintain the same level of brightness for the life of the LEDs, which won't be true of the competition. Once again, with the exception of the mighty Lumis 3D-S, this is some of the best 3D we have seen and the resulted in a wonderfully detailed and immersive experience.

Sim2 has delivered on LED's early promise and in the M.150 they have produced a projector that delivers a reference performance in terms of both 2D and 3D. In fact, the various technological elements of the M.150 converge in such a spectacular fashion, that it emphatically reminds you despite all this talk of 4K, there's still plenty of life left in 1080p yet."

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Have you had a chance to see one yet? I'd be curious to get some measurements regarding light output and on/off CR, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing