Mofi - Dark Side Of The Moon.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm contemplating picking up a used copy of this recording for $125. It's in NM condition and I trust the dealer's rating as I've bought from him before several times. Does this seem like a reasonable price for a record in this condition? And.....most importantly.....is this recording worth the expense?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm contemplating picking up a used copy of this recording for $125. It's in NM condition and I trust the dealer's rating as I've bought from him before several times. Does this seem like a reasonable price for a record in this condition? And.....most importantly.....is this recording worth the expense?

You will find that people opinion on this LP is not unanimous. Some people will tell you they prefer the first UK normal pressings or the Japanese Professional versions that are almost impossible to get in NM condition. My advice - if you really trust the seller buy it. Buying used LPs is a trust act - many times I loose opportunities just because the seller is unknown and a noisy LP is useless.

Such an LP in an European sale would not last for 10 seconds ... :cool:

Just to show how unreasonable some prices can go at this side of the Atlantic :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LP-Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-HALF-SPEED-MFSL-UHQR-AUDIOPHILE-NM-/380405338280?pt=B%C3%BCcher_Unterhaltung_Music_CDs&hash=item5891ecd0a8

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Micro.

The dealer fortunately is local to me and I trust him implicitedly based on my previous history with him. I 'll have a talk with him and see about a return, should it not be to my satisfaction. This album is such a part of music history that I think it warrents a better copy then the original Canada/US pressings I have (although they are in great condition). I'm very tempted.

By the way, I don't buy used LP's online for the same reason you cited.....seller unknown.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Buy the Japanese PRO-USE Toshiba version. I have both. The pro-use sounds best overall. I can't imagine finding an original UK that isn't noisy. You want quiet for that album.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

To be clear, are you talking about the regular MOFI version, or the UHQR version (the latter is in a big black box, rather the usual sleeve)? I have the regular MOFI version and frequently kick myself for not buying th eUHQR version when it came out!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Buy the Japanese PRO-USE Toshiba version. I have both. The pro-use sounds best overall. I can't imagine finding an original UK that isn't noisy. You want quiet for that album.

I'll have to do some research on the Toshiba PRO-USE version as I've not heard of that. I should tell you that $125 is about the highest I'd go for any copy, and even that is a stretch for me.

To be clear, are you talking about the regular MOFI version, or the UHQR version (the latter is in a big black box, rather the usual sleeve)? I have the regular MOFI version and frequently kick myself for not buying th eUHQR version when it came out!

I'm referring to the regular Mofi release, not the UHQR version. I've not seen any UHQR vinyl at my dealer...I must ask him about that.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How are Swedish pressings in general? I don't own any that I know of.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
You'll find some very good ones. Proprius, which did Jazz at the Pawnshop, is a Swedish record label, for instance. I just know that this particular pressing of DSOTM is considered as good as, if not better than, the best original UK-pressings from Harvest.

Sweden has always had a strong music scene, with very good recording studios and an active home market for music, which was able to support a quality production chain. Sweden was often also the country chosen for pressing of copies for all of Scandianavia, which made it possible to invest in top equipment.
Stockholm was also a very popular destination for jazz musicians from the USA during the 60s/70s, and many very good recordings were made and released in Sweden. (Think of Evans/Zetterlund's Waltz for Debby, for instance).

There are a few Swedish troubadours who recorded actively from the 60s/70s, and who released on particularly the Metronome label. Many of their releases are excellent quality, both recording and vinyl. (Fred Åkerstrøm and Cornelis Vreeswijk are artists to look for).

This release is listening joy, and one doesn't have to know what the words mean:
http://www.discogs.com/Fred-Åkerström-Trio-CMB-Glimmande-Nymf/release/2530689

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How could I forget Proprius' JATP....I sure do have that, although not the first pressing. Mine is the white label. Still, a very fine recording and one I enjoy immensely.

nickbojko

Dec 15, 2011
the best sonic copy is a german pressing,like listeneing to master tape,i own all copies and none surpass this one,found by accident 20 years ago in used record store in evanston,il.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing