What kind of tweeter are you?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm a soft-dome tweeter guy! :p Haha! No this is not a reference to tweeting on Twitter, but just to say in my own way that I prefer the sound of speakers with soft-dome tweeters. I find many ( if not most) metal-dome tweeters to be too harsh sounding for my ears (and liking), but it seems like that's the way of the future. Is this true? Or maybe I haven't listened to enough speakers.

Does being a fan of soft-dome tweeters limit speaker selection?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ribbon

Got 'em on three systems in the house where I listen to music. Even my desktop speakers have ribbons.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Ribbon

Got 'em on three systems in the house where I listen to music. Even my desktop speakers have ribbons.

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I am running the lowly ScanSpeak dual rings :eek:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm a Ribbon guy... It's in the details!!

Ribbon

Other than decades ago when I heard some Heil ESS ribbons I haven't hearde any. How would you guiys describe them versus soft and metal dome?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Scanspeak Millennium tweeter here. My old speakers had the Scanspeak Revelator tweeter. There are differences between the two and I appreciate both for what they have to offer. Of the two, my nod has to go to the Millennium. It's just a tad bit more relaxed IME, without any loss of detail.

Sorry guys but I'm definitely not a ribbon guy.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The best I have heard is the ionic tweeter of the type in the Acapella or the old Dukane iono-something.. Second best is definitively ribbon , IMO.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

This it? No mass, huh....I'd love to get my ears on this one.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
preaching one thing, living another..

The best I have heard is the ionic tweeter of the type in the Acapella or the old Dukane iono-something.. Second best is definitively ribbon , IMO.

I somehow agree, always overwhelmed by Ion, and some Ribbons, but then I live happily with both my MAster TSM and VSM's both by Merlin Music. I get what I need, for the rest I go to a concert..

e

PS And of course the VSM uses the Esotar, albeit the old one, which some anyway state to be better than the new cheaper one..

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
1. I don't think the Heil AMT qualifies as a ribbon tweeter, but I could be wrong.

2. The full-length tweeter ribbons in my old Apogee (full-ranges) was one of the best I heard.

3. I now have all diamond tweeters (B&W) and they're "pretty good".

Lee

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The tweeters of my Soundlab A1 Px are 3 feet wide x 6 feet tall and sound excellent. :)

I also have great memories of the Apogee Duetta Signature tweeters.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My main pair of loudspeakers have a Super Hyperbolic Dome tweeter, with glued cotton fibres.
They are also Ferrofluid cooled: Image Concept 200.

Soft & Smooth. :b ... Soft Dome Type, with special terminations...

And at other times, I'm an 'airfoil' (linaeum) tweeter (bedroom). And other times I'm a silk tweeter.
And I'm also a textile tweeter. Meaning I also own these type of tweeters, from my surround sound system. ... All soft dome tweeters of course, except for the airfoils in the bedroom.
But there are soft domes and then there are soft domes ...

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I like berylium myself. Very low mass, great clarity and transient response.

Rob:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing