The Golden Age of Records

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Folks,
I need your help. I need to talk to group of people who are experts on records. Who better to ask than a group of people who have spent a huge number of years listening and collecting records? Who better to ask than a group of people who know and appreciate great sound? Who better to ask than a group of people who have spent a lifetime evaluating equipment, constantly updating, for the purpose of pure musical pleasure?

You, that’s who. Who better?

Here is the question. What made the Golden Age of Records golden? I have some ideas which I will lay out here. But, I’m not sure I’m right. I would love your carefully considered comments and thoughts. One thing is sure. There are good reasons but I’ve not seen anyone really define them. Let’s give it a shot.

I’m going to write as though I know what I’m talking about. In truth, I’m no expert but I have given the subject a great deal of thought. We do have a set of facts we can use as markers. Some may claim that the start is when the microgroove record was introduced by Columbia in 1948. The next milestone is the introduction of stereo records using the 45/45 cutting system, the one that is still used today, in 1958 or 1959. Since then, the physical record producing process has not changed at all in terms of the system that is used.

The term Golden Age is used to segregate records which were produced during a certain time span that possess truly outstanding sound. I’m going to define the Golden Age of records from 1958 (the beginning of stereo records) to 1965. This sound has never been matched in all the years since (with the exception of Sheffield). Many Golden Age records are collector’s items that sell for astronomical prices. Why is this?

I’m going to start by asking if the Golden Age (GA) records really are as good as claimed or are they just an urban myth. I don’t own many GA records. By the time I realized that GA records existed they had already achieved collector status and were very expensive and rare. Those that I do have, I bought used (got lucky). I do have the entire Sheffield catalog which can be used as a standard for comparison because I consider them to sound as good or better than the GA records.

While I may not own many GA records, I do have a large record collection that’s about 4500 strong. I have heard many GA records because of the exposure I had being a professional in the audio world for many years. I have heard many fine systems owned by people who could afford to collect GA records. In my opinion the GA records I have heard sound great. They fully live up to their reputation, not hype at all. They are the Mona Lisa’s of the recording world. Do you agree? We must agree here or the rest of this exploration is a waste of time. I’ll assume we do agree.

Next, is the time frame for GA records (1958 – 1965) seem about right to you? I believe record collectors use this time frame for their GA collections. Generally, I agree though later in this article I will toss a monkey wrench into this time frame. It’s an important monkey wrench.

If 1965 is the end point of GA recordings, what happened after? I have a number of mostly classical recordings that were produced shortly after 1965 by record companies that produced great records during the GA. In general, the newer records sound terrible! Gone is the smooth as butter GA texture, the sense of venue space, the naturalness of voices and instruments replaced by grainy textures that over ride everything. It’s as though the recording art had stepped backward 30 years in time. I hate listening to these records. If it were just one record, I could justify it as just a bad effort. But, the problem seems to be industry wide. Why?

Thus, there really does seem to be a boundary that is easy to hear after 1965. The GA records vanished never to return (except Shefield).

Now, we will start to explore the reasons for the extraordinary sound of GA records and the lack afterwards. There are always reasons.

What other major development was happening during and after the GA? Solid State Electronics, that’s what! 1965 was the year when SS made its initial move into consumer electronics. From a sonic point of view, this was a disaster. Early SS sound was terrible. But, it rolled over the sonic landscape like a locomotive. It took no prisoners. Within a very few years, all of the high quality hi fi companies (which specialized in tube equipment) either were out of business or had converted entirely to SS. There were very few exceptions. It took decades for the world of hi fi to recover and, additionally, it gave a second birth to tube designs but that took a few years. But, in between there was nothing left of the original, pioneering tube based companies but rubble with a few exceptions that had converted to solid state designs. Sonically, this sea change was a holocaust for home hi fi systems.

At this point in the narrative I must start guessing and making assumptions. This part of the story starts in the recording studios. There is no question that tubes in a professional recording studio were an incredible hassle. Prior to some indeterminate date, only tubes were used in all the studio electronics. In order to not waste precious time, the recording engineers and technicians tested all tubes, replacing many, prior to a session. The session might involve a huge rented symphony hall and a 100 piece symphony orchestra being paid the going hourly labor rates as well as all the support personnel required by the record company. Time wasted due to failing tubes was expensive and abhorred. And this happened commonly. There was a great motivation to find electronics that avoided these problems. Transistors were the answer. Prior to transistorized equipment, tubes were the only choice.

Since the recording business is highly competitive, restraining costs was very important. Almost overnight, ALL the major studios converted from tube electronics to solid state. I will speculate that the transition occurred in 1965 and the transition was fast. It had to be. I will further assume that the early transistorized studio electronics sounded just as bad as the consumer stuff. As the transition advanced there was no recovery. The great GA records would never return and their place was taken by bad sounding records. The great recording engineers must have heard the changed sound and hated it. But there was no opposing the tidal wave of change. All caused by the lowly transistor.

The worst part is records never recovered. By the time the transistorized studio equipment had evolved to sound much better, digital recording and playback was taking over negating much of the improvement. GA sound quality remained beyond our grasp. And so it remains.

While collecting records I ran a across a situation that puzzled me. This is the monkey wrench factor I mentioned earlier. I started buying obscure records by small record companies by unknown artists from behind the Iron Curtain. In many cases these records sounded great, competitive with GA sound and obviously better than what the major western record companies were producing. Why is this, I wondered? I really don’t know for sure. But, I’ll guess. These small companies did not have the resources to convert their electronics, in mass, to modern transistorized equipment. Rather, they struggled along with their old TUBE equipment. By accident, they produced great sounding recordings long after the GA transition had occurred. This is just a guess. But the quality sound is obvious.

OK, that’s my argument. I’m looking forward to your thoughts. Transistors and economics were the poison arrow that killed the GA sound. Tell me what you think.

Sparky

Last edited:

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Hi, enjoyed the read, particularly as I have a focus on this period in recording history.

I do, however, think that the culprit you have identified had collaborators.

1. Economics - the first stereo releases were on 2-track tape. In today's money, people paid over USD 100 for one release. Often, these were excerpts, not even containing the entire work. In the latter case, they would be even more expensive. As the music market grew (better logistics, more promotion, more people with playback units - vinyl), they were looking for ways to bring the price down.
Vinyl was a lot cheaper to make than tape-versions, and focus was shifted to that. With tape, they began increasing the duplication speed, and went to 4-track both-ways playback, not giving a damn that this would imprint a ghost on the tape, compared to a tails-out stored 2-track.
Initial, high quality pressing of vinyl releases would happen in just one or a very few locations, under strict quality control. Some of the bespoke brands such as Everest, Command and others implemented their own particular recording technologies (35mm film in many instances), and they put a lot of effort into the pressing. As did the major companies, for reasons of ...

2. Prestige. The format was new, the companies that embraced it were in competition, and a lot of money was put into all-out efforts to create the best stereophonic releases. Compared to today's releases, the Decca Ring had a moon landing budget. And it was far from the only major prestige production carried out during the Golden Age of Records. The works were promoted and discussed with great seriousness, and across a number of genres serious work was done to secure the best possible recordings. Customers wanted to outdo each other with the latest in stereophonic reproduction, and were willing to pay for the joy of doing so.
As the prestige element was reduced, through mass marketing of playback, quality needed to get top dollar from a few was replaced by cheaper mass production to get a few dollars from as many as possible. That dynamic didn't have to ruin things, but a technological development happened ...
In order to cut down on distribution costs - vinyl is heavy - one sent Tapedubs of the vinyl mixdown to pressing plants around the USA and to other countries, and then new lacquers were made there. We are now already several steps away from the mastertape as far as generations go.

And it gets worse...

3. Multitrack and synchronized tape editing - brought inside dedicated studio facilities.
In my opinion, the chief reason why the Golden Age of Records achieved its preeminence compared to what was to follow, was the fact that recordings were made on location, or in recording venues/studios where the performer/venue played together. Recording technology was at a stage where you captured it on 3-track L/C/R, and that was it. You didn't mix - you could splice, cutting out what you didn't want. You went with the best take, and if you could merge sections of two or three good takes, that was your master.

The best productions would take out the studio chatter, splice the master tape, and use that to create the lacquer, or else create an intermediate mastertape for copying. You are very close to the original here.

With the advent of multitrack and mixing, a need arose to create dedicated recording facilities because the equipment was getting too big to lug about to suitable venues. It was also so expensive that you had to set up a production line at your dedicated studio, for many performers.
And these new facilities were deadened, because one didn't want a room response, since in many instances the artists participating on a release would add their bits in portions, without all of them playing/singing as an ensemble. The engineers would then add the reverb required to avoid the recording sounding too dry.

What is the chief hallmark of the memorable and sought after recordings from the Golden Age? That they were recorded in locations that were ideally suited to create a merger of venue and performers - the room is in the recording, playing along with the performers. Recording engineers would scour the nation searching for suitable places to record - until the day that they created the universal venue: a deadened room that did not contribute to the performance, instead giving the engineers "the naked tone of music which they could manipulate and dress as they chose."

And that's the watershed moment - not the transition from tubes to solid state, in my opinion. When music became an industry, dedicated to reaching as many as possible and wanting just a few dollars from them for a record (not over one hundred), then expediency and economy won over dedication to quality.

A few companies held on to the original method of recording - Vanguard, Vox, Turnabout, for instance - chiefly because their recording engineers refused to go along with the expedient way of getting a recording done, when the Golden Age way was clearly so much better. A few companies are now returning to this way of recording, and scoring great successes, because the deadened room with close-mike approach creates an unnatural, uninvolving semblance of what could be acoustically excellent music.

Throughout, we have been told that the cheaper method of distribution was an advance - and we allowed ourselves to get fooled.

2-track > vinyl > 4-track >vinyl manufactured at pressing plants all over the place > musicassettes > CDs (much cheaper to make than vinyl, and lighter to ship), etc.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree with part of what Odin said and lots of what you said Sparky. I do believe that once classical recordings were made with more than three channels and were made with SS gear, the golden age was over. SS multi-track recordings (and I mean more than 3 tracks) no longer sounded like the great recordings that preceded it.

I was also under the impression that 2 track tapes released to the public did not precede stereo records as Odin claims. In fact, if you read the liner notes on really early 2 track 7 ½ ips tapes, it was clear that RCA intended for them to replace LPs as the best source material for discriminating listeners. They just forgot about wives and convenience though.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I was also under the impression that 2 track tapes released to the public did not precede stereo records as Odin claims. In fact, if you read the liner notes on really early 2 track 7 ½ ips tapes, it was clear that RCA intended for them to replace LPs as the best source material for discriminating listeners. They just forgot about wives and convenience though.

By nearly two years, actually, as a release medium. 2-track stereo tapes for official releases to vendors began appearing in 1956.
Harrisons catalogue in 1957 had numerous stereophonic 2-track tape releases (according to Ironbut at Tape Project). We may be talking past one another, as what I'm discussing in my first post is the effect of market dynamics on quality - not which format was first used for experiments with stereo (which happened in 1933 on vinyl, I believe).

In 1957 the first commercial stereo two-channel records were issued on translucent blue vinyl by Bel Canto, the first of which was a multi-colored-vinyl sampler featuring "A Stereo Tour of Los Angeles" narrated by Jack Wagner on one side, and a collection of tracks from various Bel Canto albums on the back.[39]

Following in 1958, more stereo LP releases were offered by Audio Fidelity in the USA and Pye in Britain. However, it was not until the mid-to-late 1960s that the sales of stereophonic LPs overtook those of their monophonic equivalents, and became the dominant record type.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Speaking not as an audiophile, but an investment guy...i wonder also if the post-'65 GA also began to end (not so much due to SS itself)...but what actually happened as a result of SS/transistor technology (ie, it got cheaper to produce, smaller to produce and more widely distrbuted). In essence, it got dumbed down and mass produced...so quality went down.

In a sense, you might (emphasize: might) wish to make a parallel to what is happening (again due to technology) with MP3 files...the music is smaller, arguably cheaper...certainly much more accessible than it ever was before. And guess what? the guys on this forum are complaining quality has (again) declined.

It is a investor's admittedly non-educated suggestion without having truly studied how transistors and SS got rolled out during that period of time. But certainly observing in person what happened thru the late '70s and '80s with audio technology, i think this might have well played a part.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
I think you all are missing the vital points of evidence. And that is the Golden Age just cut off. Without warning, all companies. One day here and next, gone.

Next, you are ignoring the basic sound quality. GA great; post GA horrid. You are not talking about that and you should.

This is not something that supports evolving studio techniques.

Sparky

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
HI All,
I think you all are missing the vital points of evidence. And that is the Golden Age just cut off. Without warning, all companies. One day here and next, gone.

Next, you are ignoring the basic sound quality. GA great; post GA horrid. You are not talking about that and you should.

This is not something that supports evolving studio techniques.

Sparky

No - the golden age didn't just cut off. There are numerous recordings in the years following that are of excellent quality, and capable of matching content against most others.

Actually, you might want to run a frequency check on the vinyl from 1958-1965, and consider how to explain the results you'll be coming up with, compared to excellent vinyl releases that came later. Such an analysis might be a good complement to your tube/ss discussion.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Don't overlook the influence of pop/rock music and its mastering, which seems to (with some notable exceptions) to have slid downhill since that time. Whilst some rock groups headed toward greater dynamic range and subtle shadings in sound, most of the rock/pop music seems to have been spiraling down the over-processed, compressed dynamic-range path into the drivel that led to MP3's being accepted by the masses as good sound.

IMO - Don

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Soundproof,
How would I do that? And, yes I know that excellent recordings came after the 1965 cut off. But, were they as good? I'll still maintain that if they were made on transistorized studio equipment, they are not as good. You have concentrated your argument on tape. I wish you would concentrate on the sound quality. Because that's what separates the good from the great. Again, I refer to Sheffield.

Sparky

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think that a major argument could be made for these labels carefully chosing their recording venues. Most engineers will tell you the hall is 80 pct of the equation (for instance CSO, BSH, Walthamstow, Kinsgway, Rudy's home, RCA's studio A for Nonesuch, a mailroom at Contemporary, etc) and most of these labels found a couple of halls/studios with excellent acoustics and did all their recordings there. As such, the labels/production teams also became intimately familiar with the quirks of each hall and how to accomodate different types of music/composers. That in contrast to today's recordings where because of the costs involved, it's get the music down and fix it later :( Back in the GA, they labels fixed it first.

Then there's the way, say classical music is recorded today. Back in Reiner's day, he took great pride in recording a whole movement in one seating; that's in contrast to today where literally they record bar by bar. That piecemeal approach cuts down for me at least, any sort of connection, even if it is "perfect." (and I'm not referring to digital but not allowing the musicians to make a mistake.)

Then there are those who believe some of the magic came from the tube electronics being used :)

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
I think that a major argument could be made for these labels carefully chosing their recording venues. Most engineers will tell you the hall is 80 pct of the equation (for instance CSO, BSH, Walthamstow, Kinsgway, Rudy's home, RCA's studio A for Nonesuch, a mailroom at Contemporary, etc) and most of these labels found a couple of halls/studios with excellent acoustics and did all their recordings there. As such, the labels/production teams also became intimately familiar with the quirks of each hall and how to accomodate different types of music/composers. That in contrast to today's recordings where because of the costs involved, it's get the music down and fix it later :( Back in the GA, they labels fixed it first.

Then there's the way, say classical music is recorded today. Back in Reiner's day, he took great pride in recording a whole movement in one seating; that's in contrast to today where literally they record bar by bar. That piecemeal approach cuts down for me at least, any sort of connection, even if it is "perfect." (and I'm not referring to digital but not allowing the musicians to make a mistake.)

Then there are those who believe some of the magic came from the tube electronics being used :)

Hi Myles,
I think everybody has brought up good points. But I also think they are missing the point. There is no doubt that the recording arts have been undergoing transformations such as venues, microphones, number and placement of mic's, etc. In the final analysis these are just refinements. But you can't avoid the fact that tubes were a major player, the only player during the Golden age, and after, transistors. You just can't avoid this fact. And again, the records have preserved the tube verses the solid state sound. No one is mentioning the sound.

Have you all listened? Maybe you don't remember how the early transistorized gear actually sounded. Maybe you don't remember how bad they were. If you need to be reminded, listen to pretty much any record made between 1965 and 1970. You will hear all the grain faithfully preserved.

Sparky

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

My Favorite music joke

A pianist was in the recording studio with his conductor. After over a hundred takes and punch-ins, the pianist listens to the playback and says "Isn't that great!?". The conductor answers "Yes it is, don't you wish you could play like that?"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My Favorite music joke

A pianist was in the recording studio with his conductor. After over a hundred takes and punch-ins, the pianist listens to the playback and says "Isn't that great!?". The conductor answers "Yes it is, don't you wish you could play like that?"

:rolleyes:

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
I'm going to bow out of this discussion for the moment because I don't want to influence your replies. So far, I'm not impressed with your deductive abilities. However, I find myself too attached to my own ideas and not open enough to yours. By bowing out I can let this thread roam where it will.

I will only ask you to try to stick to the subject. Beyond that, I am curious where your ideas lead.

Thanks. Sparky

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Very interesting thread, Sparky.
I am one of the lucky ones to own a large collection of the LP's from the GA.
IMO, what sets them apart is a multitude of things, but most importantly besides their sound, is the quality of the musicianship and the overall gestalt ( I hate that word BUT it is apropos here) of the music on these LP's.
Not all of the LP's from the GA are great, some are in fact VERY mediocre, BUT they are generally more listenable to than the more recent issues from the 70's onwards. IMO, due to the points that you have brought to the table ( the onset of ss amps, etc) and I suspect the desire of the record Co's to cheapen the process in the later years and to sell more product, thereby looking for more salable music that appeals more to the masses.
If we are just talking about the sound quality here, which i am NOT sure that we are or should be:confused:, then there are other spectacular LP's that are in many ways better than the GA LP's, IMHO. Several examples exist of these: The 200 gram MFSL's, the M&K Lp's, many of the Analog Production LP's, several of the Music Matters LP's and others ( The Sheffield's you already mentioned). BUT if you combine the sound and the music of the GA Lp's then you define the GA's better, at least IMHO.:)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Not the golden age of records, the golden age of recording. Beyond that, what Odin said.

Tim

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
The golden age for classical recordings is now.

There are many recordings from the 50s and 60s that are wonderful. There are many more that are not. Analog recordings have a particular sound to me. They have a sheen, a lushness, sometimes a steeliness in the strings. The highest and lowest frequencies are not always as extended. The orchestra may not have much depth. Whenever I listen to Szell, Klemperer, Kubelik, Reiner et al, I am aware that I am listening to a recording. For example, Szell and Fleisher's Brahm's Piano Concertos are a performance for the ages and in a very agreeable sound, but it does not rival a recording that can be done today.

Things may have gone awry for several years with the introduction of digital, with a learning curve that ensued.

Recordings now have a transparency that is obvious on direct comparison. There are many recording companies that are dedicated to the craft.

We are blessed with many great recordings being introduced each year, with little regard to the over-abundance of recorded classical music and shrinking market. Getting 70 minutes of music for less than $10 is one of the best things in audio.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

There are many recordings from the 50s and 60s that are wonderful. There are many more that are not. Analog recordings have a particular sound to me. They have a sheen, a lushness, sometimes a steeliness in the strings. The highest and lowest frequencies are not always as extended. The orchestra may not have much depth. Whenever I listen to Szell, Klemperer, Kubelik, Reiner et al, I am aware that I am listening to a recording. For example, Szell and Fleisher's Brahm's Piano Concertos are a performance for the ages and in a very agreeable sound, but it does not rival a recording that can be done today.

Things may have gone awry for several years with the introduction of digital, with a learning curve that ensued.

Recordings now have a transparency that is obvious on direct comparison. There are many recording companies that are dedicated to the craft.

We are blessed with many great recordings being introduced each year, with little regard to the over-abundance of recorded classical music and shrinking market. Getting 70 minutes of music for less than $10 is one of the best things in audio.

What good is the price if the sound rips the paint off the wall? I can't listen to pretty much any new classical recording (and who really cares about audiophile classical!)--and the more complex the music, the worse it sounds.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Unfortunately, Robert, this is the current dilemma. People have tuned their systems to get optimum sound from recordings of that "golden era", and that frequently means that more modern recordings are highly disagreeable on their system, they have a searing, very aggressive quality to them. I have my own take on what's really going on here, which I won't repeat; but we're ending up in this terrible situation where the recording engineers are doing what they perceive as a highly accurate and correct operation, but a large percentage of the people who would otherwise purchase their output in fact have little regard for what they're doing.

Maybe the world of audio is irretrievably doomed, will slowly keep dying until it's a rather quaint leftover of a bygone era, I'm feeling rather pessimistic tonight ...

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

...and here I am at work with no popcorn for the show.

People have tuned their systems to get optimum sound from recordings of that "golden era", and that frequently means that more modern recordings are highly disagreeable on their system, they have a searing, very aggressive quality to them

You think? I haven't been a part of tuning their systems, obviously, but it seems that most audiophiles tune their analog-centric systems to even further exaggerate the characteristics of analog. Maybe it's their ears that have been tuned against treble extension, transient response, dynamic range and an open, noiseless background. I can understand it if it's so. The unfettered twack of the rim of a snare drum, the relentlessness of a ride cymbal, more cowbell? These are not smooth and euphonic things.

By the way, I think this is the golden age of the multi-track studio recording as well, you just have to pick the right recordings, usually those that are outside of mainstream pop, rock and country, where the loudness wars are raging. The ability to build up tracks without building up distortion got better in the last days of analog, but it still falls far short of what can be done with digital. MHO. YMMV, yadayadayada...

Tim

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing